Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Clark's vascularity ruins the cover for me. I'd like it more if it didn't look like he was juicing hard. His muscle definition is just too over the top for my tastes. I realize I may be more in the minority there.

I'm not sure we should even be giving much attention to the cover considering it's not even the main one it's a variant. I'm personally not a fan of it either.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Rogol Zaar against the Legion? Somehow I'm not surprised yet still disappointed at the same time. I hope Bendis doesn't drag him out too much.

I have no reason to be invested in Synmar yet. Nothing about him just feels all that new.

Jon looks like he's between ages on that Action variant cover.

Is that robot Silver Banshee the first time she's been seen since the New 52? Aside from her headshot in Reborn.
    Synmar's name is ostensibly just a flipped portmanteau of Onimar Synn, yeah?

Evil God-Pharaoh of Thanagar type dude? Hawkman villain? There's been plenty of Hawks in this Superman run so I'd be alright as long as Synmar were to tie to that. Although from his appearance, he doesn't directly seem to have anything in common with Hawkworld. I wonder if he's a Reis design specifically. Reis' is one of the just insanely good modern artists, with that kind of updated Neal Adams bent to everything and is so good. But I've never found his design-work to be all that special. With maybe the exception of The Trench in Aquaman.

So yeah we get the spindly three-clawed slightly Goblin-ish looking alien with the slightly Beta Ray Bill face. Not that I think whoever charges across the universe to address a story theme Bendis wants to tackle has to look humanoid in some timeless Silver Age spandex caped costume. But this one feels pretty bland and Rogol Zaar felt pretty bland. And therefore, his two big introductions to the Superman rogues gallery feel bland. I suppose I do dig Mark Shaw's new look, though, so 1 for 3 for me.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Are The Source and The Presence the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Are The Source and The Presence the same?
    I think there’s been some fan theories about that. Not sure if ever hinted at in comics themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    City of Tomorrow vol 2 is a great collection, hope it continues the post Joker stuff.

Interesting that it's based on a real person. It's one of those faces to me... it is technically very nice art, but the realism makes it a bit creepy.
    Yeah it just looks weird.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Lol never. He’s still the most universally beloved Superman, and the creators at DC are still overwhelmingly old. I think Routh got one cover and only Mann draws Supes like Cavill. If Cavill was in a good movie maybe he’d get more traction, or Hoechlin might after his show launches. New 52 Superman looked a little like Welling in his early issues.
    I don't want Superman drawn to look like any actor; I want him drawn to look like Superman!

And apart with being very uncanny, every drawing of Superman with Reeve's face that I see, makes Reeve look a little bit less like Superman to me!

The quality of Reeve's movies is utterly irrelevant. It looks off. Reeve is a good Superman because he's a great actor and because he looks like Superman. But Superman doesn't look like Chris Reeve. That's not how it works.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Glad its not just me to get the uncanny valley vibe from that.

And still forced to look to Elseworlds for good Super family characters. Even if it is an apocalyptic one.