Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    generations of marginalization, trauma and genocide suck and all but a throwaway line about capitalism being antiquated is going too far !
    she sounds JUST like magneto. how dare she critique a system that’s directly responsible for all the hardships in her life???? she should be more grateful

The argument that everyone is acting superior and therefore OOC is extremely tone deaf, considering what is happening right now in the US.

Trying to re-frame the plight of an oppressed and marginalized group through the apologist lens of the oppressor is regressive and completely uninteresting. It would just be the same old "fighting for a world that hates and fears them" and we have long since grown up past that naivete. It might seem radical to someone who doesn't understand what it's like to be living in your oppressor's world, but the reclamation of your heritage and the rejection of their outdated institutions is exactly what I think mutants in this situation would be supporting.

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    The argument that everyone is acting superior and therefore OOC is extremely tone deaf, considering what is happening right now in the US.

Trying to re-frame the plight of an oppressed and marginalized group through the apologist lens of the oppressor is regressive and completely uninteresting. It would just be the same old "fighting for a world that hates and fears them" and we have long since grown up past that naivete. It might seem radical to someone who doesn't understand what it's like to be living in your oppressor's world, but the reclamation of your heritage and the rejection of their outdated institutions is exactly what I think mutants in this situation would be supporting.
    Exactly. Now I absolutely wish Hickman could write this with a bit more nuance and character focus (and less murderous government officials), but this is what we got.

LOl
    "Take my trash for me"
    Magik was like
    "I know this bitch aint talking to me'
    Thank God Warren threw it away....
    GrindrStone(D)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Pretending this is not a problem won't fix anything, instead it normalises their racism against non-mutants.

Racism isn't "cheeky dialogue," and many of these mutants aren't in poverty. In fact, none of them are in Krakoa.

Does Emma Frost have to say in Brother Voodoo's presence before the connotations become obvious?
    Kind of curious how they feel about Wakanda..

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    It isn’t a black and white issue..... that’s why throwing ppl in jail and saying “job done!” isn’t the solution. And your response is full of guesswork. Mutant and human brains aren’t all that different but at the end of the day, they are different therefore there should be systems in place that account of how mutations could affect their persona. The problem isn’t “oh wow this sociopathy happens to have power” it’s “this person has powers that lead to sociopathic behavior and rather than punish them, we should create outlets to help him.”
    My two cents is the whole mutation turned Empath into a sociopath is a crutch.That's a step away from saying a mutation made an Ed Gein,Jeffrey Dahmer and somehow it is humanity's fault for not putting them in strait jackets as 10 year olds.If that is the reasoning ,Empath should be in the pit ,he is as dangerous to mutants as he is to humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    nah its pretty much one person that keeps shouting it across multiple threads

Yep. M's always been proud to be a mutant and did not agree with hiding that aspect of her

And she's explained why she treats others the way she does. Basically its bc she can. Her superiority complex is pretty core to her character
    M always have me the Naomi "Don't compare yourself to me" vibes.

BANNED

Honestly, the general "mutants are better than humans"/"we don't do things like humans" tone is of course out of character. That's not really arguable.

The real question is whether it's a good change or not. I find it a bit corny, but mileage varies.

On the citing of this as a metaphor for how people respond to oppression in real life, I would caution that...it likely isn't. I don't think all black people look down on all white people, but mostly just the racist ones in particular, for instance and example.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Honestly, the general "mutants are better than humans"/"we don't do things like humans" tone is of course out of character. That's not really arguable.

The real question is whether it's a good change or not. I find it a bit corny, but mileage varies.

On the citing of this as a metaphor for how people respond to oppression in real life, I would caution that...it likely isn't. I don't think all black people look down on all white people, but mostly just the racist ones in particular, for instance and example.
    I think there's a definite disparity in viewpoints here. Yes, there has been some mutant superiority leanings, I'll give you that. But there is a difference in being proud of your own heritage and "looking down" on another group. Dani disparaging what she thinks are outdated institutions is not looking down on humans. It's saying they weren't geared towards her or her people.

Obviously mutant/human relations is a complete exaggeration of racial politics, but it has always been a metaphor for it.

I don't think any black person looks down on white people just for being white. Rather I think they're critical of what white people have chosen to do with the imbalance of power and privilege... and I'm totally ok with that and encourage it.
    Last edited by superjosh; 07-18-2020 at 12:15 PM.

Appreciating your culture and wanting your culture to be elevated after years of oppression isn't racist.

Monet, Magneto and Emma have always felt superior to humans (and honestly people in general).

I view it as a lazy criticism because the entire point of Hickman's run is "what if mutants created their own community instead of trying to blend into human society?" and the constant human ideologies vs. mutant ideologies comparisons adhere to that. It's meant to be part of the storytelling - showing how these characters can behave in a different setting than they have been for 50+ years of publishing. But if you also disagree with the concept and think it's against everything the X-Men have stand for etc. etc. then... alright, it's ok. Agree to disagree and all.

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    I view it as a lazy criticism because the entire point of Hickman's run is "what if mutants created their own community instead of trying to blend into human society?" and the constant human ideologies vs. mutant ideologies comparisons adhere to that. It's meant to be part of the storytelling - showing how these characters can behave in a different setting than they have been for 50+ years of publishing. But if you also disagree with the concept and think it's against everything the X-Men have stand for etc. etc. then... alright, it's ok. Agree to disagree and all.
    Yes exactly. I think there's a point to all of this. Mutants self-segregating is definitely THE major theme of the Krakoan era and it's being written as such. There's going to be fallout, but it's an experience that they're going through and it's not complete yet.

BANNED

Mutants are humans and now suddenly "mutants wear mutant clothes" lol. It's a bit silly, guys, be honest.

I would also caution against pride based on race/nationality. I think X-Men taught me that lol.

Don't get me wrong, I love it when I see a black man winning an election. I root for the black quarterbacks first almost unapologetically. I'll be happy when the powers that be actually allow a black character to have an important role in an X-Men story (still waiting on that one). But all of that is more because I want to see black people obtaining equality and not because I find black people superior.

Mutants are humans and now suddenly "mutants wear mutant clothes" lol. It's a bit silly, guys, be honest.

I would also caution against pride based on race/nationality. I think X-Men taught me that lol.

Don't get me wrong, I love it when I see a black man winning an election. I root for the black quarterbacks first almost unapologetically. I'll be happy when the powers that be actually allow a black character to have an important role in an X-Men story (still waiting on that one). But all of that is more because I want to see black people obtaining equality and not because I find black people superior.
    Again, no one is saying black people think they are superior. Please stop implying that.

Now pride, that's a different thing. When you're a marginalized individual, pride is what keeps you going. Pride is what helps you overcome. That's the difference between having black pride and having white pride. White pride is celebrating being in the dominant/oppressor position and that's why it is so abhorrent.

I get where you're coming from... I really do. But I think it's a way of thinking that only works in a vacuum. It would be great if we were all just somehow immediately on a level playing field, but that is just not the case.

But onto a lighter subject... the costumes. It is a bit ridiculous, but maybe that's the point too. Mutants saying, why have we been wearing that kind of clothing this whole time. IMO it's all slowly working into a grand scheme. Kind of like they've formed a massive cult without knowing it. It would be too obvious if they were all wearing robes or togas lol.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Monet thinks she's better than everyone. That's part of her charm.