Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

I know that this is sounding like a broken record at this point but can we please go 5 seconds without making it sound like the mutants are looking their noses down at humans? Not only does it really not do them any favors of seeming likable (reminding me far too much if the Inhumans) but they still feel radically OOC, sounding more like followers of Magneto than the X-Men.

Inhumans never did that lol

I thought it was less "mutants looking down on humans" and more "rich people looking down on underprivileged classes". Or both lol. But anyway it's just a little bit of cheeky dialogue, idk
    Last edited by nandes; 07-17-2020 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    M, Magik and Angel are all I ever wanted in life
    Seconded!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    I know that this is sounding like a broken record at this point but can we please go 5 seconds without making it sound like the mutants are looking their noses down at humans? Not only does it really not do them any favors of seeming likable (reminding me far too much if the Inhumans) but they still feel radically OOC, sounding more like followers of Magneto than the X-Men.
    Seriously is there some kind of mandate that all x-men most sound like obnoxious gits about anything human related?

I feel like "acting OOC" is such a standard criticism against Hickman these days but like... if there's one character that views themselves above everyone else then it's definitely Monet
    Last edited by nandes; 07-17-2020 at 09:02 PM.

Warren has always thrived in this environment. He always makes it a point to add a touch of sarcasm and distaste, but he's still the mayor.

However, this is peak Monet and no one is going to enjoy this ride more than her. Completely in character.

Amazing Member

I thought Monet thought she was better than everyone, not just humans.

BANNED

I don't get the point of it. I just don't get the point of it. It's not like it's endearing. And kinda defeats the point of what X-Men is all about.

But snark/"bitchiness" is the easiest thing to write so...it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    I don't get the point of it. I just don't get the point of it. It's not like it's endearing. And kinda defeats the point of what X-Men is all about.

But snark/"bitchiness" is the easiest thing to write so...it is what it is.
    You do understand the whole point of Monets character is her perfectionist attitude and tendency to look down on others lmaoo

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    Yes, I've noticed that Hickman's dialogue is at its best when he is writing more pompous, high class characters like Emma.
    Or morally gray characters, side note I'm not feeling this Monet and personally I'm over her looking racial ambiguous...
    Last edited by Celestialbodies; 07-17-2020 at 10:09 PM.

All of the moments of anti-human snobbery have come from mutants who were pre-established as harboring those feelings before dawn of x started. Most of it has come from Apoc and Magneto, who have always had superiority complexes. The only time the x-men have felt like OOC jerks recently is in the fantastic four mini, but that series has done such a horrible job portraying every character involved that I hesitate to count it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    You do understand the whole point of Monets character is her perfectionist attitude and tendency to look down on others lmaoo
    It hasn't been isolated to Monet, tbf.

Also, just want to note that the repeated phrasing at the start of the post was accidental. Reads more melodramatically than I intended lol

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by comicboy12 View Post
    I thought Monet thought she was better than everyone, not just humans.
    If that is the common xtic of this title then Queen Selene should definitely be here.It amazes me that she is missing in every title!

Astonishing Member

Pretending this is not a problem won't fix anything, instead it normalises their racism against non-mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by Nandes
    I thought it was less "mutants looking down on humans" and more "rich people looking down on underprivileged classes". Or both lol. But anyway it's just a little bit of cheeky dialogue, idk
    Racism isn't "cheeky dialogue," and many of these mutants aren't in poverty. In fact, none of them are in Krakoa.

Does Emma Frost have to say in Brother Voodoo's presence before the connotations become obvious?