Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

The ending of this series, especially the last scene, cements the perception that the X-Men are basically evil right now - if the ethno-nationalist state, the murderous rituals, the cult-like fanaticism, and the self-declarations that they are humanity's "gods" didn't make that obvious already.

What I don't accept is that Reed Richards would simply let Xavier and Magneto get away with doing that to him. If Dr. Doom attacked him in that way, he would fight back. And this is Reed Richards we are talking about. He could put both Xavier and Magneto in a cage any time he wants to, if he decided to put his mind to it. It would be very out of character if he just lets this go - Xavier basically lobotomized him, after all, and Reed values his mind above everything else. Moreover, Xavier and Magneto revealed how far they are willing to go and demonstrated how incredibly dangerous they are. Reed has an obligation to stop them -after all, isn't the job of superheroes to take down supervillains?

I also find it hard to believe that Reed doesn't have psychic dampeners as just a regular part of the security of his home and lab. He had them built into the suits the FF used in issue #2. It seems to be an obvious protection in a world where psychics abound and where any of them could launch an attack or spy on him at any time without that kind of protection.

Anyway, I hope that this is not the last we've seen of this. Xavier basically declared war on the FF. Reed could and should bury him.

Mighty Member

Well this whole series basically confirms that Marvel is elevating the X-franchise over its other properties. The FF were portrayed in such a bad light here and the X-men walk away smiling like the cat who ate the canary. They just seem to winning everything at the expense of others who are being cast in a bad light. Does Hickman have the authority to dictate how other franchises are portrayed when dealing with the X-men? Don't other writers have a say in how their characters are portrayed? If The Immortal Hulk shows up does Ewing get a say in how he is used or does he get jobbed because Hickman has decreed that the X-men's new status quo is "winning"? And what happens when other writers get tried of catering to the X-universe, to their characters being made into whipping boys/girls to prop up Krakoa. Didn't Slott have any input in this FF/X-men story with him being the FF writer, didn't he want a say in Reed having his mind manipulated by Xavier? If this keeps up it could become a festering problem down the road for Marvel in the sense that they are pushing the X-men to the exclusion of others.

Seems as if some fans seems upset the X-Men(Mutants) arent getting sh!t on anymore.
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Seems as if some fans seems upset the X-Men(Mutants) arent getting sh!t on anymore.
    Well, the F4 currently haven’t got much love from the editorial offices at Marvel for the same reason as the X-men.

No. I'm fine with that. I was really tired of the last decade or so worth of "mutants are on the edge of extinction!" storylines.

I just don't like the fact that they've all decided to all become villains.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    No. I'm fine with that. I was really tired of the last decade or so worth of "mutants are on the edge of extinction!" storylines.

^

Pretty much this.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunN View Post
    Xavier basically declared war on the FF. Reed could and should bury him.
    Oh but when the Fantastic Four illegally entered Krakoa and attacked one of the heads of the state, that wasn’t a declaration of war?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Oh but when the Fantastic Four illegally entered Krakoa and attacked one of the heads of the state, that wasn’t a declaration of war?
    You mean like how the heads of state of Krakoa show up in force at the Fantastic Four's doorstep in an effort to take away one of them?

That's what set this whole thing in motion. Compare that visit to how Xavier, Ororo and Piotr showed up at the Pryde household to invite Kitty to the school.

The X-Men and Fantastic Four have had a long history of mutual respect for each other (mostly). If he didn't want to cause conflict, Xavier could have easily gone to them with just Kitty and Ororo and it would have been fine.

But that wouldn't serve Zdarsky's story and Hickman's overall X-Men narrative.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    ^

Pretty much this.
    Basically....the X-Men needed a big public win to turn around public opinion. WoTR could have been that...but they were relegated to one little corner of NYC instead of being seen on the front lines and turning back a large wave of the invasion.

But that all comes down to the writers and editorial wanting the X-Men to get that win. It is easier to write "mutants are always persecuted and on the edge of extinction"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Why would anyone have a problem with Magneto telling their son their parents are beneath them? It's not like he's done anything to warrant caution.

And she put a bubble on him, she didn't harm him.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Why would anyone have a problem with Magneto telling their son their parents are beneath them? It's not like he's done anything to warrant caution.

And she put a bubble on him, she didn't harm him.
    What does that have to do with the Fantastic Four attacking him on sovereign soil? And that’s not even taking in the fact that Magnetos teamed up with the FF beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by BAS View Post
    You mean like how the heads of state of Krakoa show up in force at the Fantastic Four's doorstep in an effort to take away one of them?

That's what set this whole thing in motion. Compare that visit to how Xavier, Ororo and Piotr showed up at the Pryde household to invite Kitty to the school.

The X-Men and Fantastic Four have had a long history of mutual respect for each other (mostly). If he didn't want to cause conflict, Xavier could have easily gone to them with just Kitty and Ororo and it would have been fine.

But that wouldn't serve Zdarsky's story and Hickman's overall X-Men narrative.
    Wait.... so they’re “allies” when Xavier retaliates but are “showing in force” when they bring the FF’s closest friends. So this is just about suiting your agenda? Got it.

But that all comes down to the writers and editorial wanting the X-Men to get that win. It is easier to write "mutants are always persecuted and on the edge of extinction"
    I'm perfectly fine with a little bit of persecution in the books. The idea that the X-men have to deal with hate is one of the big themes.

It's just that there's a huge difference between Cyclops going into a bar and being told "We don't like your kind here," and from people putting together government funded high tech murder squads constantly.

people putting together government funded high tech murder squads constantly.
    Sounds like they’re catching up with the rest of the world, then.

Extraordinary Member

I'm perfectly fine with a little bit of persecution in the books. The idea that the X-men have to deal with hate is one of the big themes.

It's just that there's a huge difference between Cyclops going into a bar and being told "We don't like your kind here," and from people putting together government funded high tech murder squads constantly.
    I am not saying everyone loves them....there will still be bigotry out there...but the overall general opinion is they are heroes...like for X-Factor after Fall of The Mutants.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BAS View Post
    Again, the X-Men came to visit the Fantastic Four, in broad daylight in a public city street, and they intended to talk to them about Franklin. Y'all make it sound like they broke into the house and kidnapped Franklin (which again if they wanted to do, it would have been easy for them to have done it).

X-F4 #1.jpg

Susan Storm may be the owner of her house in Yancy Street. But she does not own the actual Yancy Street in itself. She has absolutely no right, not even the slightest, to forcefully bar the X-Men from arriving and walking down the steet, which is the property of the City of New York, which is also a city of USA, which is a member of the UN, and which has entered agreements with the government of Krakoa in various political and trade agreements.

The X-Men of Krakoa were following the law. Susan Storm wasn't.

She has no right at all to arrogate herself the authority to illegally erect a barrier forcefully barring the X-Men from even knocking at her door, to which by the way they have a right to do so.