Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunN View Post
    Just read a terrible article on the CBR main site by someone named Bickham saying that Sue Storm now realizes what the X-Men "really are" -"Heroes." The article is just terrible - it doesn't appear that the writer actually read to the end of the comic, where Xavier and Magneto reveal just how twisted and villainous they actually are. I doubt that Sue Storm would label them "heroes" if she knew that they partially lobotomized her husband.

Again, the current X-Men are a racist cult. I think that defending their increasingly indefensible actions is acting as a kind of Rorschach test for the reader - how far are you willing to go to defend/rationalize something that cannot really be rationalized? But I am somewhat unhappy that Hickman has launched this interpretation of the X-Men at the same time that, in the real world. Trump supporters are marching in the streets and ethno-nationalism is on the rise across the world. A lot of what the X-Men believe could easily be said by a white supremacist marching in Charlottesville. I assume that Hickman understands all of this -indeed, that his overall arc may be a commentary on it - but it is still disturbing to see this play out in a fictional world where what I assume is the subtlety of Hickman's approach is playing out very slowly. Of course, I know nothing about Hickman or his politics. Maybe my assumptions about where he is going with all this are wrong.

BTW, I know that Hickman himself did not write this series, but I assume that the endgame of his arc on the X-Men is informing the series and is being furthered by the overall plot.
    Sort of reminds me of AvX where Reed was arguing that they should give the Xmen the benefit of the doubt, all the while poor Ben was trapped in hell having soul drained out of him.

Still, it will be interesting to see how far they go.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Sort of reminds me of AvX where Reed was arguing that they should give the Xmen the benefit of the doubt, all the while poor Ben was trapped in hell having soul drained out of him.

I just read the 90's X-men 1- 3 on comixology yesterday... MAN what a difference. Actually reminded me of why i used to love the X-men. Totally different charcters now.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I just read the 90's X-men 1- 3 on comixology yesterday... MAN what a difference. Actually reminded me of why i used to love the X-men. Totally different charcters now.
    You talking the Blue and Gold team era?? Great time for X-Men books.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    You talking the Blue and Gold team era?? Great time for X-Men books.
    yep! great writing, great art. X-men at their peak.

now days, most of the 'heroes' sound like the Acolytes of Magneto... Lot of familiar attitudes back then that were universally accepted as 'the bad guys'.

Just read a terrible article on the CBR main site by someone named Bickham saying that Sue Storm now realizes what the X-Men "really are" -"Heroes." The article is just terrible - it doesn't appear that the writer actually read to the end of the comic, where Xavier and Magneto reveal just how twisted and villainous they actually are. I doubt that Sue Storm would label them "heroes" if she knew that they partially lobotomized her husband.

Again, the current X-Men are a racist cult. I think that defending their increasingly indefensible actions is acting as a kind of Rorschach test for the reader - how far are you willing to go to defend/rationalize something that cannot really be rationalized? But I am somewhat unhappy that Hickman has launched this interpretation of the X-Men at the same time that, in the real world. Trump supporters are marching in the streets and ethno-nationalism is on the rise across the world. A lot of what the X-Men believe could easily be said by a white supremacist marching in Charlottesville. I assume that Hickman understands all of this -indeed, that his overall arc may be a commentary on it - but it is still disturbing to see this play out in a fictional world where what I assume is the subtlety of Hickman's approach is playing out very slowly. Of course, I know nothing about Hickman or his politics. Maybe my assumptions about where he is going with all this are wrong.

BTW, I know that Hickman himself did not write this series, but I assume that the endgame of his arc on the X-Men is informing the series and is being furthered by the overall plot.
    As if to say Krakoa supporters = Trump supporters
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

it doesn't appear that the writer actually read to the end of the comic, where Xavier and Magneto reveal just how twisted and villainous they actually are. I doubt that Sue Storm would label them "heroes" if she knew that they partially lobotomized her husband.
    Yeeeeah thats not what they did. Xavier deleted the Neural path necessary for Reed to create another irresponsible invention, he erased a memory, something Reed and other hero's were more than happy to justify during the incursion mess.
    Again, the current X-Men are a racist cult.
    Uh You sure youre reading the right comic???
    I think that defending their increasingly indefensible actions is acting as a kind of Rorschach test for the reader how far are you willing to go to defend/rationalize something that cannot really be rationalized?
    Indefensible actions? Really gotta remind me of some of those. What can't be rationalized? Krakoa?
    But I am somewhat unhappy that Hickman has launched this interpretation of the X-Men at the same time that, in the real world. Trump supporters are marching in the streets and ethno-nationalism is on the rise across the world.
    Whoa! that is a left turn interpretation of what the X-men are doing...There's a law that can't kill the very people who wish to exterminate them. Not sure how you're getting that vibe from them.
    A lot of what the X-Men believe could easily be said by a white supremacist marching in Charlottesville.
    Yeah But I meeeean it could be said by any person with strong feelings. But luckily the X-Men are a minority soooooo it becomes totally difference knowing that context.
    If only the Avengers had this inkling and kept a lowkey eye on the situation instead of barging into a another country like Janet Reno effused soldiers,and kidnap a minor....

Have they already gone too far?
    GrindrStone(D)