Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    How do you conclude that Sue is a racist? When she fears that her child is in danger, the claws will come out no matter who it is. She's attacked Doom, who is a Roma, many times but I have better sense than to call her a racist for it. She is the den mother to the Future Foundation which includes a child from Moloid children that were abandoned, a child from Wakanda, a clone of the Bentley Whitman, Artie Maddicks (a mutant) Leech (a Morlock)
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Maximoff View Post
    How was Sue racist? What indicated that she discriminated against anyone based solely on race?
    Because of her unwillingness to even engage Franklin in a discussion about his Mutantness. Even Franklin pointed it out. Doesn’t mean she should be thrown away but she had implicit bias and that’s pretty realistic for a privileged white woman who lives in a snapshot of 60s suburbia.

Wolverine should have been able to sense that there was a human inside. He's been able to distinguish a Doombot from Doom himself before. In any case, he still committed murder and you still can't lay that one on Doom.
    Well considering the only reason that Mutant was in there was because of Doom, yes I absolutely can lay that one on Doom.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Because of her unwillingness to even engage Franklin in a discussion about his Mutantness. Even Franklin pointed it out. Doesn’t mean she should be thrown away but she had implicit bias and that’s pretty realistic for a privileged white woman who lives in a snapshot of 60s suburbia.

Well considering the only reason that Mutant was in there was because of Doom, yes I absolutely can lay that one on Doom.
    I agree, Sue and Reed should've had a discussion with Franklin about his mutantness, I just assumed they did off-panel, but calling her a racist for that is just a step too far.

It's less unwillingness and more not knowing because they aren't mutants. It's not racism, it's ignorance mixed with still seeing Franklin as a toddler. They aren't mutants or of any minority group so they wouldn't know the need Franklin has to connect to that side until he told them. It's not a fear of the unknown or racism, they just had learn like most parents in their position do. All they saw where people taking their baby away.
    Last edited by Crimz; 07-23-2020 at 10:43 AM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

BANNED

In New York State, a parent must protect and financially support their child until said child turns 21 years old or becomes emancipated. Has Franklin been emancipated?
    Last edited by Micabe; 07-23-2020 at 10:54 AM.

Incredible Member Marvel Forever's Avatar

I agree, Sue and Reed should've had a discussion with Franklin about his mutantness, I just assumed they did off-panel, but calling her a racist for that is just a step too far.
    Oh my..... I feel like Marvel Comics has suddenly stepped into the 2020 Presidential Election here, with charges of racism being used.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    It's less unwillingness and more not knowing because they aren't mutants. It's not racism, it's ignorance mixed with still seeing Franklin as a toddler. They aren't mutants or of any minority group so they wouldn't know the need Franklin has to connect to that side until he told them. It's not a fear of the unknown or racism, they just had learn like most parents in their position do. All they saw where people taking their baby away.
    Yet they benefit from a system that is very directly antimutant. They had multiple opportunities to talk to that with Franklin but they chose not to because they had the privilege not to. I’m not even talking about Xavier recruiting Franklin, this is about Franklin’s family treating him like a regular ol’ human when he has a marginalized identity that they just don’t ever delve into. “Not knowing” isn’t a good excuse when your best allies and family are Mutants and you know how Mutants are treated in the world.

Y’all treat ‘racist’ like it’s a curse word.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Forever View Post
    Oh my..... I feel like Marvel Comics has suddenly stepped into the 2020 Presidential Election here, with charges of racism being used.
    that’s weird cause i thought comics were always political

Mighty Member

For wanting bodily autonomy and having curiosity about his community?? The way y’all hate kids and teens for being people.
    Yes, the kid so curious about his community that he decided to stay on an island with a madman over the off chance to restore his power. He was more willing to take the risk with a man who has a habit of stealing cosmic powers for his own purposes from the Molecule Man to the Silver Surfer. He didn't give a crap about his community until he learned that it lessened his power loss. His loyalty remains only for power and ego, not some curiosity over his community.

If only mutants didn't have the Five. Maybe giving him a dirt nap courtesy of Wither or Selene would actually make this piece of **** less of a piece of ****. Garbage like him needs to be reduced to a pile of ashes.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

What in the world are you talking about? Sue was not born of privilege. She had to be a almost a parent to Johnny when her mother died in a car accident and their father turned into an alcoholic out of guilt. He ended up in jail when they were kids. The Fantastic Four don't live in suburbs unless you are talking about when she and Reed briefly moved out of the city to try and give Franklin a normal home. That was way back in the Byrne run. They lived in the Baxter Building, Four Freedoms Plaza, a converted warehouse, and now in a working class neighborhood in NY. Please keep up dear if you want to make a point.

Implicit bias? What garbage. The Fantastic Four have been working side by side with the X-Men from the very beginning .....from FF #28 in the Lee/Kirby days.

Even though there was deception involved, Doom is not responsible for Wolverine's actions. Why is it of that strike group he was the only one that actually killed someone? The others didn't use lethal force because isn't that what heroes do?
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 07-23-2020 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Yes, the kid so curious about his community that he decided to stay on an island with a madman over the off chance to restore his power.
    Did you miss the part where he tried to go to Krakoa but couldn’t cause his dad hid his X-gene? Or that he tried to sneak onboard the Marauders ship to go to Krakoa?? Or that he didn’t just up and say yes but was coerced by someone who’s essentially his uncle?
    Last edited by Tycon; 07-23-2020 at 11:03 AM.

Yet they benefit from a system that is very directly antimutant. They had multiple opportunities to talk to that with Franklin but they chose not to because they had the privilege not to. I’m not even talking about Xavier recruiting Franklin, this is about Franklin’s family treating him like a regular ol’ human when he has a marginalized identity that they just don’t ever delve into. “Not knowing” isn’t a good excuse when your best allies and family are Mutants and you know how Mutants are treated in the world.
    I don't think they've ever treated him as a regular human when his powers awakened beyond treating him like, well, their child.
    Did you miss the part where he tried to go to Krakoa but couldn’t cause his dad hid his X-gene? Or that he tried to sneak onboard the Marauders ship to go to Krakoa?? Or that he didn’t just up and say yes but was coerced by someone who’s essentially his uncle?
    I don't think that really address UN Owen's point about Franklin's motivations.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    What in the world are you talking about? Sue was not born of privilege. She had to be a almost a parent to Johnny when her mother died in a car accident and their father turned into an alcoholic out of guilt. He ended up in jail when they were kids. The Fantastic Four don't live in suburbs unless you are talking about when she and Reed briefly moved out of the city to try and give Franklin a normal home. That was way back in the Byrne run. They lived in the Baxter Building, Four Freedoms Plaza, a converted warehouse, and now in a working class neighborhood in NY. Please keep up dear if you want to make a point.
    Aww you don’t know what ‘privilege’ means

It doesn’t mean you didn’t have a hard life, it means you don’t have to face specific struggles that disproportionately affect oppressed groups.

Even though there was deception involved, Doom is not responsible for Wolverine's actions. Why is it of that strike group he was the only one that actually killed someone? The others didn't use lethal force because isn't that what heroes do?
    Because he’s Wolverine? Don’t know if you knew this but he generally kills, and he would especially kill something that was designed to look like a robot. If you craft a situation and get the expected outcome, you are generally responsible for what happened. That’s how accountability works love

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think that really address UN Owen's point about Franklin's motivations.
    Franklin’s expressed interest in his Mutant identity before. He decided to visit Krakoa after being asked by Kate, how does him also wanting to figure out what’s wrong with his powers conflict with that?
    Last edited by Tycon; 07-23-2020 at 11:09 AM.

Aww you don’t know what ‘privilege’ means

It doesn’t mean you didn’t have a hard life, it means you don’t have to face specific struggles that disproportionately affect oppressed groups.
    I wasn't quite sure if you were explicitly referring to white privilege, but if it's how Zdarsky made her come off here then I think he really dropped the ball.
    Because he’s Wolverine? Don’t know if you knew this but he generally kills, and he would especially kill something that was designed to look like a robot. If you craft a situation and get the expected outcome, you are generally responsible for what happened. That’s how accountability works love
    I think there's mutually responsibility. Logan's always had a problem with restraint and I don't even think this is his first "accidental" kill.
    Franklin’s expressed interest in his Mutant identity before. He decided to visit Krakoa after being asked by Kate, what does him also wanting to figure out what’s wrong with his powers in conflict with that?
    Because it seems inherently focused around his obsession with getting his powers back come heck or high water?

Mighty Member

His father hid his x-gene, true, but here's the problem. He. Is. A. Reality. Warper. The data pages made it pretty clear that the cloaking only cloaks and doesn't disable. Teleporting there should be a non issue, but a selfish piece of **** had to use the convoluted method of sneaking on the ship with the Marauders. Even if there is some kind of mystical anti teleportation barrier around Krakoa, he can still fly as shown in the FF book.

As for coercion, all of that was done by his sister, not Doom. Also, the Uncle Doom nonsense is only a Valeria thing. The reason why Franklin suddenly started saying it can easily be chalked up to kissing up to the man who promises to restore his powers.

If he had any concern for others, he would go "ha ha, nope!" snap his fingers, and get everyone as far away as possible. But as shown in the FF books, he only cares about power. When his new aunt and uncle were attacked by demons, he whines about how the villains aren't worthy of his power. It has nothing to do with mutant identity and all to do with power.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Y’all treat ‘racist’ like it’s a curse word.
    Do you deny using it as a pejorative? How do you not expect that to be inflammatory insinuation to make?