Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Legion of Super-Heroes relationships and drama

Just wondering if some helping Legion fans can give me some big Legion love triangles, relationships, and interpersonal drama in and around the team through the ages and eras.

I just know the basics like Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl, Mon and Shadow Lass, Violet and Lightning Lass, Triplicate Girl and Bouncing Boy, Element Lad and Shvaughn Erin, Ultra Boy and Phantom Girl, Wildfire and Dawnstar, and Braniac 5 and Supergirl/Andromeda.

But are there others that I'm missing?

And have there been love triangles/infidelity between any on the team or elsewhere in the world that are of note? Or even one-sided attraction?

Keep in mind this can be from any era of Legion.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Shrinking Violet and Light Lass is a fan favorite that was pretty groundbreaking for same sex relationships, even if it was done a little subtly.
    Legion in general has been good - at times - for LGBT relationships. I'm waiting impatiently to see who the LGBT characters are in the new Legion.

Ultimate Member

Random interpersonal stuff as it occurs to me;

In the reboot, Cosmic Boy and Saturn Girl dated, instead of Saturn Girl and Lightning Lad.

In the classic continuity, Saturn Girl and Timber Wolf had a moment (more a hug, not an affair or anything), and it led to the breakup of
    Brin and Ayla (but doesn't seem to have significantly affected Garth and Imra's marriage).

Shadow Lass used to be interested in Brainiac 5, before settling on Mon-El. Later they broke up and she dated Earth-Man for a brief time, before he died and she went back to Mon-El.

Triplicate Girl was very into Superboy, before choosing Bouncing Boy instead.

In the Reboot, Phantom Girl and Ultra Boy's relationship fizzled due to jerkishness on his part and she ended up with Timber Wolf.

Colossal Boy had a crush on Violet, ended up with Violet, only discover that the Violet he dated (and secretly married!) was actually a Durlan infiltrator, and things got a wee bit tense for a long time between them and the real Violet, when she returned. The Durlan infiltrator, Yera, has since joined the Legion as Chameleon Girl, but her and Violet are... not friends.

Sun Boy dated Laurel Kent for a hot second, and that Laurel Kent turned out to be a robot Manhunter out to score an invite to Legion HQ so it could blow up the team. He's also apparently pissed off Dreamy and Tinya and Dragonwing, in the most recent Levitz reboot, because they, and all of the women on the team, seem to push him away or express disgust around him.

In the Threeboot, Ayla had dated Sun Boy and Ultra Boy, in the past. Shadow Lass had dated Karate Kid, and was currently dating Ultra Boy, and it was flat-out stated by Karate Kid that she had just been using him to level up her hand-to-hand skills, and dumped him when she felt like she'd learned enough.

There are tons of others over 60 plus years and four or five continuities, but that's the first batch that comes to mind.

And Shvaughn was revealed to be a man named Sean who took a sex change drug that wore off, because he came from a really backwards homophobic planet and thought that was the only way he could be with a man. It was a little clumsy in how it was dealt with, but considering that Element Lad was basically paired with Shvaughn by the write just to prove he wasn't gay, it's satisfying from that perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Shrinking Violet and Light Lass is a fan favorite that was pretty groundbreaking for same sex relationships, even if it was done a little subtly.
    Legion in general has been good - at times - for LGBT relationships. I'm waiting impatiently to see who the LGBT characters are in the new Legion.
    I think villainness Titania in later versions was supposed to be a lesbian character.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Shrinking Violet had a thing with Duplicate Boy of the Heros of Lallor way back. In fact she was dating him when she was replaced by Yera which led to a major throw down between Duplicate Boy and Colossal Boy which is what started tipping off other members of the team that something was up with Violet.

Cosmic Boy and Night Girl of the Subs have been an item for many years and even married.

Reboot Ferro had a big crush on Inferno, but she was never really into him like that.

Reboot Chameleon and Lightning Lass had a thing too.

Rond Vidar and Andromeda were together and had a kid.

Dream Girl was paired with Star Boy originally and then Brainy in one of the reboots.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Shrinking Violet had a thing with Duplicate Boy of the Heros of Lallor way back. In fact she was dating him when she was replaced by Yera which led to a major throw down between Duplicate Boy and Colossal Boy which is what started tipping off other members of the team that something was up with Violet.
    Violet's had an interesting arc, romance-wise. Duplicate Boy, for years, but, frankly, kind of a snoozer of a relationship. Then the sens-tank business while her imposter dates Colossal Boy. She comes out of captivity with a haircut and a new brash attitude, jumps Sun Boy for all of a (literal?) hot second, then moves on to Lightning Lass, and seems to have happily settled there for keeps.

Other random relationship drama;

Night Girl has her dad experiment on her and gets powers and moves to Earth because she wants to join the Legion specifically to woo Cosmic Boy! (Understanding dad, or maybe he just wanted to get rid of her?) Comet Queen similarly does something even more ridiculously dangerous to gain powers, so that she can come to Earth and woo Bouncing Boy (who... is already married, and wants nothing of this).

Possibly for reasons of good taste, no *boys* have done anything insanely dangerous to gain powers and woo Dream Girl, Shadow Lass, Projectra, Dawnstar, etc. which seems like a double-standard that *I* totally would have broken (and gotten a restraining order slapped on me...).

In the Reboot, Cosmic Boy seems to have been dating Saturn Girl at the beginning, but ended up with Kid Quantum II (Jasmin Cullen) towards the end, IIRC. (There was no Night Girl in the Reboot, that I know of.)

Dream Girl cheated on Star Boy, which led to them breaking up, and had another fling with Atmos, first when both were amnesiacs on a prison-planet (no one's fault, really), and later when he hunted her down post-recovery and tried to make it a real romance, and, when she rebuffed him, tried to make it 'kinda real' with mind-roofie-power-nonsense. Ugh. In later years, Thom and Nura seem to have made up?

Dawnstar kinda/sorta dated Wildfire for years, but then went off on some spiritquest to find her lifemate, a cultural thing, that went south (Wildfire interfered and it all got messed up). She was much later seen in the 21st century, an amnesiac on Thanagar, dating a Thanagarian woman, but they broke up when she regained her memories.

White Witch and Blok have a thing. (He'd been shown having a schoolboy crush on her for ages, and she seemed mostly oblivious, at first.)

Karate Kid and Projectra had a thing, then he had a solo book (sent off by her dad to have some adventures to prove himself worthy of his daughter, but I really think King Voxv was kind of hoping he'd never come back...), then they had a marriage, then he died (but she got even better powers, so, silver lining?). So sad.

Brainy has a thing for Supergirl. (Except for the animated version, who totally has a crush on Superboy.)

Some version of Invisible Kid II (Jacques) ends up dating and / or married to Infectious Lass, I've heard. Reboot? 5YL? Who knows. They probably don't exist anymore.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 07-18-2020 at 01:44 AM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Wow...Legion doesn't mess around lol

Thank you to everyone replying. Please keep em coming if you can think of them!
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I only really care about the original pre-5YL Legion, so here's the checklist for classic-Legion couples:

Cosmic Boy + Night Girl (of the Subs)

Lightning Lad + Saturn Girl

Bouncing Boy + Duo Damsel

Ultra Boy + Phantom Girl

Colossal Boy + Yera

Star Boy + Dream Girl

Brainiac 5 + Supergirl

Shrinking Violet + Duplicate Boy (of Heroes of Lallor)

Mon-El + Shadow Lass

Element Lad + Shvaughn Erin

Timber Wolf + Light Lass

Karate Kid + Princess Projectra

Wildfire + Dawnstar

Blok + White Witch

Ultimate Member

What's interesting is the (classic) Legionnaires who haven't had a long-term relationship, like Sun Boy, or *any* real relationship other than maybe a one-panel mention of a girlfriend 40 years ago, like Chameleon Boy, Ferro Lad, Invisible Kids I & II, Tyroc, Tellus, Magnetic Kid, etc. (All dudes, obvi, a new Legion lady appears and she gets snatched up tout suite! 'Cause guys can be guys, but girls have to be girlfriends...)

(This was less true for later versions, or much later additions, in which female characters like Monstress, Kinetix, Thunder, XS and Catspaw or Dragonwing, Glorith and Comet Queen, functioned just fine without being paired off with rando Legion dudes.)

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Though it was never officially stated it was strongly hinted that the reboot Invisible Kid I was in a relationship with Condo Arlick (who preboot was the Legionnaire Chemical King).

Ultimate Member

Though it was never officially stated it was strongly hinted that the reboot Invisible Kid I was in a relationship with Condo Arlick (who preboot was the Legionnaire Chemical King).
    Ah, poor Invisible Lyle. Dead. Then mysteriously brought back from some sort of afterlife by Invisible Jacques and promptly abandoned because the writer apparently had absolutely no idea what to do with him.

"Hey, you know what *nobody* is clamoring for? The return of someone who died 20 years ago, and whom I have zero interest in writing anyway! I carefully reflected on all the ways this could be a bad idea and... I did it anyway!"

It was implied in the comic but confirmed in the DC Encyclopedia of that era.
    There's a little subtext that they were involved pre Zero Hour, mostly in the Secret Origins issue that came out after their deaths. There's a small fan base that supports that version as a couple as well.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Random interpersonal stuff as it occurs to me;

In the reboot, Cosmic Boy and Saturn Girl dated, instead of Saturn Girl and Lightning Lad.

In the classic continuity, Saturn Girl and Timber Wolf had a moment (more a hug, not an affair or anything), and it led to the breakup of
    Brin and Ayla (but doesn't seem to have significantly affected Garth and Imra's marriage).

Shadow Lass used to be interested in Brainiac 5, before settling on Mon-El. Later they broke up and she dated Earth-Man for a brief time, before he died and she went back to Mon-El.

Triplicate Girl was very into Superboy, before choosing Bouncing Boy instead.

In the Reboot, Phantom Girl and Ultra Boy's relationship fizzled due to jerkishness on his part and she ended up with Timber Wolf.

Colossal Boy had a crush on Violet, ended up with Violet, only discover that the Violet he dated (and secretly married!) was actually a Durlan infiltrator, and things got a wee bit tense for a long time between them and the real Violet, when she returned. The Durlan infiltrator, Yera, has since joined the Legion as Chameleon Girl, but her and Violet are... not friends.

Sun Boy dated Laurel Kent for a hot second, and that Laurel Kent turned out to be a robot Manhunter out to score an invite to Legion HQ so it could blow up the team. He's also apparently pissed off Dreamy and Tinya and Dragonwing, in the most recent Levitz reboot, because they, and all of the women on the team, seem to push him away or express disgust around him.

In the Threeboot, Ayla had dated Sun Boy and Ultra Boy, in the past. Shadow Lass had dated Karate Kid, and was currently dating Ultra Boy, and it was flat-out stated by Karate Kid that she had just been using him to level up her hand-to-hand skills, and dumped him when she felt like she'd learned enough.

There are tons of others over 60 plus years and four or five continuities, but that's the first batch that comes to mind.
    Cos was dating Quantum Kid and Imra was dating Garth right after they came back from the past.

Wasn't Timber Wolf just the babysitter? I don't think Tinya and Jo broke up.