Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pitch A Direction: Tigra

What ideas do you have for a Tigra solo?

• Who would you put in charge of writing and art?

What arcs would you like to see?

What evolution of her powers would you like to see or should her power set remain?

What occupation should she have?

And other stuff I can't think of.

Let Amanda Conner (as both writer and artist) have a crack at her. She can hand off art duties to Frank Cho every 4-6 issues for an equal number of issues to avoid burnout, and the book doesn’t dip at all in terms of art quality.

I’d like to see Amanda’s take on a celebrity single mom trying to balance a personal and superhero life. She’s a Chicago native; is she a Cubs or Sox fan? Does anyone even remember she originally got her powers when she was working for her former physics professor? She’s got some brains under all that fur. She’s also a widow, from her first marriage; does she keep in touch w. her first husband’s family? There’s her link to the other dimensional cat ppl, past romantic relationships to explore if only as friends etc.
    I’m sure Amanda has enough there to play with.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    There’s her link to the other dimensional cat ppl,
    My very first thought would be to tap into that. Are there other 'demon cat people?' Could there be an effort by some (or some outside agency) to get the 'demon' out of them and cleanse them back to a not-so-demony cat-people state? (Could said effort be masterminded by someone with bad intentions, who wants to pull out all that demony badness and implant it into themself, or otherwise use it to power some sinister shenanigans?) Would having their demon-ness removed force them out of the extradimensional realm they've settled, and result in them being dumped back on Earth, where they have to find a home? Could some want to stay demon-y because it gives them better access to magical power, and losing it would take away their magic?

And even if not exploring that demony-ness, there's still lots of angles to explore. They've got ties to magic, which can fuel various plots or character-affecting bits, like Tigra getting her hands on a magic cat's-head amulet that let's her transform back and forth into cat-girl and human form, or even such a thing for William, her son, who is kind of stuck in cat-person baby form at the moment.

Are the cat-peeps entirely limited to their current realm, or do they visit the Earth dimension for resources, or for kicks? Could there be some among them who sneak across the boundary to commit crimes? (From not-so-bad like stealing medicine for their otherworldly populace to serial killing, hunting humans for sport (with even some betting on the forbidden event!)) Are there some who sneak across for more romantic reasons, having a star-crossed love affair with a human (or odder denizen of Earth, like a Wundagorean New Man, or a Krakoan mutant).

Tigra can't really hide who she is, particularly with a visible cat-hybrid baby in tow, and pretty much anywhere she sets up shop, it's gonna get out, so what happens when a cat-person is responsible for some crimes in the area? Cops are gonna knock on her door, and she'll get dragged into it, even if it turns out the cat-person was a visitor to this dimension (or a New Man, or a mutant, etc. Darn that racial profiling! Just because we have fur doesn't mean we all go to the same club!).

Due to her ties to the cat-peeps, Tigra's got a ton of story seeds just lying around, pertaining to them.

I def. see it (the cat ppl aspect) as something to explore, yeah.

I’d really like her to get into all sorts of different adventures though. Like you said, she can’t hide who she is, that’s why I called her a celebrity superhero.

Frank Cho and Amanda Connor on art is a good idea. You are going to need a writer who can take the character's entire history and make it work for the character instead of against the character and Kurt Busiek is a master at that.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Frank Cho and Amanda Connor on art is a good idea. You are going to need a writer who can take the character's entire history and make it work for the character instead of against the character and Kurt Busiek is a master at that.
    I thought of different writers, but settled on Conner to pull double duty.
    She has a sense of fun I think Tigra could really benefit from.

Busiek though? I wouldn’t kick him outta bed!

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I thought of different writers, but settled on Conner to pull double duty.
    She has a sense of fun I think Tigra could really benefit from.

Busiek though? I wouldn’t kick him outta bed!
    He did all the heavy lifting in making Carol Danvers a viable character again. He was even able to do it in a team book no less, where there is a lot less room for characterization!
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Tigra: The Search for Hank Pym’s Soul
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

For an artist, I'd go with Joelle Jones or Otto Schmidt.
    Last edited by Seren; 07-19-2020 at 06:32 PM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Astonishing Member

I'd keep her in the darker corners of the Marvel Universe -- more supernatural opponents. Keep the artwork dark and moody (big pass on Amanda Conner -- she's a good artist -- but her style is more comic relief).. Also let her be Greer a lot -- and not Tigra full-time. Tigra/Greer has a unique characteristic in that she has powers/abilities even when she's not in Tigra mode, but she can go that route if needed. I'd like to see more focus on her empathy powers -- which should prove useful if pinpointing weaknesses in opponents.

Maybe bring in Hellcat as well. The two have never really clicked, but a little animosity could be a good start in forming a partnership/friendship.

I wouldn't mind seeing her show up in Spider-Woman and then maybe a new series. Would be nice to see her get some spotlight again.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    He did all the heavy lifting in making Carol Danvers a viable character again. He was even able to do it in a team book no less, where there is a lot less room for characterization!
    I’m not much of a Carol fan, but I do t hold that against him.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I'd keep her in the darker corners of the Marvel Universe -- more supernatural opponents. Keep the artwork dark and moody (big pass on Amanda Conner -- she's a good artist -- but her style is more comic relief).. Also let her be Greer a lot -- and not Tigra full-time. Tigra/Greer has a unique characteristic in that she has powers/abilities even when she's not in Tigra mode, but she can go that route if needed. I'd like to see more focus on her empathy powers -- which should prove useful if pinpointing weaknesses in opponents.

Maybe bring in Hellcat as well. The two have never really clicked, but a little animosity could be a good start in forming a partnership/friendship.

I wouldn't mind seeing her show up in Spider-Woman and then maybe a new series. Would be nice to see her get some spotlight again.
    That’s pretty much the opposite of my take, as I’d like to shine a light on her and see her have some crazy lighthearted fun; I think she’s overdue!
    Last edited by Riv86672; 07-19-2020 at 08:15 PM.

Astonishing Member

Tigra's personality is a bit light-hearted on the surface -- as she's typically been written to have a manner similar to Spider-Man's. But with the exception of some light-hearted banner, I don't really want to see another take like the last Hellcat series. But, unfortunately, I don't see Tigra coming back any time soon. I don't get it -- I see a lot of potential there -- much more than another unnecessary X-book.

I see a lot of potential there -- much more than another unnecessary X-book.
    So do I. But, it is what it is, sadly.

Tom DeFalco, Chris Bachalo

Hellcats starring Tigra, Shirlee Bryant and Patsy Walker.

The ghost of Shirlee Bryant begins to haunt Greer when her Cats Head Amulet stops working. Greer, unable to become Tigra seeks out Hellcat and together they journey the the realm of Cat people.

There they discover the preserved mummified body of Shirley who is actually a descendent of the cat people. Upon being in proximity to the amulet, it restores Shirlee to life, however Patsy is accidentally killed by the mystical energies.

The cat people perform the same ritual on Patsy that they did Greer giving her a similar amulet. Patsy is now the version of Hellcat that appears in Heroes reborn. Shirlee continues on as The Cat in the original Cat Costume. Patsy’s mystical costume is given to Greer which changes to a Tigra costume she wears while Patsy is now the “were woman”
    Last edited by danielsan52; 07-20-2020 at 03:00 PM.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Tigra can't really hide who she is, particularly with a visible cat-hybrid baby in tow, and pretty much anywhere she sets up shop, it's gonna get out, so what happens when a cat-person is responsible for some crimes in the area? Cops are gonna knock on her door, and she'll get dragged into it, even if it turns out the cat-person was a visitor to this dimension (or a New Man, or a mutant, etc. Darn that racial profiling! Just because we have fur doesn't mean we all go to the same club!).
    Don't forget about the Christina Z/Mike Deodato 4 issue Avengers Icons: Tigra mini series Greer went through the police academy and became an officer...