Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default "Logan" is an alternate universe, not the real ending of the movie franchise.

UPDATE: 10/09/2021

1- "The New Mutants" is set in the mainstream X-Men universe. In the movie, Transigen-Alkali doesn't exist, Essex Corporation is definitely confirmed as the organization behind the Weapon X Program, and footage from "Logan" is rearranged to back-up a different event.

2- At the end of "Dark Phoenix" (1992), mutants are no more seen in a "friendly" way. I doubt that humans would issue comic books about them in the 2000s/2010s or so. Also, Old Man Logan seems to imply that "fantastic/fantasy adventures" (like events depicted in 'Apocalypse', 'Dark Phoenix' and so on) did not occur at all.

3- Old Man Logan killed the scientists in his version of the Weapon X Program. Our Logan never did that in "Apocalypse"; indeed he only slaughtered the soldiers.

4- There was no Transigen-Alkali in "Apocalypse". The Weapon X Facility was owned by the Essex Corporation.

5- There was no adamantium bullet in "Apocalypse". In the original timeline, the adamantium bullet had been already used anyway, and it wasn't available anymore anywhere.

6- There were mutant children at the school in the positive ending of DOFP (2023). This means that mutant births didn't stop in 2004, I mean in the mainstream X-Men universe. You can also spot Nate Grey among the children.

7- In DOFP, Phoenix is alive. In the deleted scene of "Logan", Old Man Logan talks about killing Jean and his long time remorse. That said, I doubt that Phoenix wouldn't be able to stop Xavier from killing the X-Men.

8- They never talk about the time-travelling issue. "Logan" follows the original timeline (at least, a tweaked version of it).

9- Caliban is totally different. He's another guy.

10- Old Man Logan is supposed to have been "masked and costumed" in his X-Man days, wearing the comic book costume.

11- Charles is 90 years old in "Logan" (2029). In the mainstream X-Men universe, he is born in 1932, not 1939.

12- At the end of "Dark Phoenix", we see that Xavier's school was renamed after JEAN GREY.
    In the positive ending of DOFP, they never mentioned the name of the school anyway, so that's still consistent with DP.

MARVEL officially listed the "Logan" universe as Earth-17315.

"Logan" invalidates all the X-Men movies. Mutants become extinct. Xavier's dream fails. It's the worst ending ever.
    It's an alternate, "What If"-like universe.
    Even MARVEL confirmed that.

The ending of the X-Men saga is DOFP (2023).
    Last edited by Mutant 77; 10-09-2021 at 03:18 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    My points.

1- At the end of "Dark Phoenix", mutants are no more seen in a "friendly" way. I doubt that humans would issue comic books about them in the 2000s/2010s or so. Also, Old Man Logan seems to imply that "fantastic/fantasy adventures" (like events depicted in 'Apocalypse', 'Dark Phoenix' and so on) did not occur at all.
    2- Old Man Logan killed the scientists in his version of the WX Program. Our Logan never did that in "Apocalypse", indeed he slaughtered the soldiers.
    3- There was no Transigen-Alkali in "Apocalypse". The WX facility was owned by the Essex Corporation.
    4- There was no adamantium bullet in "Apocalypse". In the original timeline, the adamantium bullet had been already used anyway, and it wasn't available anymore.
    5- There are mutant children at the school in the ending of DOFP (2023). This means that mutant births didn't stop in 2004, I mean in the mainstream X-Men universe. You can also spot Nate Grey among the children.
    6- In DOFP, Phoenix is alive. In the deleted scene of "Logan", Old Man Logan talks about killing Jean and his remorse. That said, I doubt that Phoenix wouldn't be able to stop Xavier from killing the X-Men.
    7- They never talk about the time-travelling issue. "Logan" follows the original timeline (a version of it).
    8- Caliban is totally different. He's another guy.
    9- Logan is supposed to have been "masked and costumed" in his X-Man days, wearing the comic book costume.
    10- Charles is 90 years old in "Logan" (2029). In the mainstream X-Men universe, he is born in 1932.

"Logan" invalidates all X-Men movies. Mutants become extinct. Xavier's dream fails. It's the worst ending ever.
    It's an alternate, "What If" universe.

DOFP opened the possibility for Logan. The last line of DOFP is ''For the future is never truly set''

From an In-Universe , Logan's ending is not surprising and in Shakespearean tragedy fitting. Through out the films, Mutants always escaped extinction. Their luck running out in Logan is realistic.

From an Out-Universe, meaning we the viewers, we would want DOFP to be the ending as it is more optimistic, mutants have suffered badly, so we want a happy ending for them.

I think both DOFP and Logan are the endings, depending on what type of X-Men stories you like.

Dark Phoenix lol. I treat as fan fiction. This movie and Apocalypse should never have been made.

I thought this was a comic book forum

Fantastic Member

1- something could have happened that would make the mutants be loved again, apparently the events of X-Men 1 could have happened again but with minor changes since Xavier mentions this in Logan as the mission of the statue of liberty, which also explains Rogue has a bit of white hair when Logan sees her in the new timeline and this is quite possible since Erick was never able to maintain his stable relationships with humans and with that I have a theory that Quicksilver could finally have joined Erick during this event which would make him a substitute for Mystique since she had been killed in Dark Phoenix.

2- he could have done it off-screen, tbh i don't think they would mention the logan escape that occurred in apocalypse if there was no relationship.

3- Simon Kinbeng said that Essex would have some connection with Logan since in the post credit scene was is possible to see them collecting blood samples that in the future could be useful for cloning (X-23) and when it was said that both (Essex and Transigen) were supposed to be the same institution? as far as I know Essex's main purpose was cloning and Transigen's main purpose was to contain the mutant population as much as possible to the point of almost making them go into extinction, my theory is that both institutions worked together since the plot against mutants was something global that involved even governments.

4- at some point this could have happened again between the events in the 80s and 90s but with minor changes as it could have happened with X-Men 1 as I mentioned earlier.

5- If I'm not mistaken Xavier mentioned that he didn't want to limit the school to just mutants, which would indicate that human children would also be studying there in the new timeline, besides that we don't have the exact age of "Nate Grey" to know if he is would fit into the 25-year extinction schedule.

6- cut scenes should not be considered canonical but if you prefer the solution so simple, Xavier scanned Logan’s mind on Dofp and saw Logan killed Jean and he probably did the same thing off-screen when Logan woke up in the new island time, the illness that Xavier had in 2029 besides making him use his mental powers without control could also make him confuse the events of both timelines (the original timeline he saw in Logan's mind with the new one of time), and also the thing with Phoenix is ​​uncertain we don't know if Jean kept her during 1993 until 2028, Xavier was very powerful so much that in X-men 2 he managed to affect Jean with his powers even when she was already awakening to Phoenix I wouldn’t be surprised if he managed to kill her with his mental powers especially if she was off guard like all XMen in Westchester incident.

7- just because it wasn’t mentioned doesn’t mean it didn’t happen, James Mangold want the film to be more centered on his own story which obviously wouldn’t mention that kind of thing and from what I remember Mangold said he at least used the final DOFP scene as a starting point.
    8- Calliban being played by a different guy in logan doesn’t mean anything too, it happens a lot in franchises and the characters are nevertheless the same.

9- "costumed" were never relevant in the franchise, Logan said that the events that occurred in the comics almost never portrayed what really happened and that we see in both timelines when it comes to fantasies, and moreover if you were thinking about the alternative scene of "Wolverine" again is not canonical.

10- the age of the characters and the last thing we should take into consideration if we want to analyze the timeline of the franchise lol, at least with Xavier the discrepancy with age was the least problematic.

I don't think Logan annuls or has nothing to do with the previous films, if you pay attention to some details and you can see that there is something that connects the films ..
    Last edited by HeraldOfStorm; 07-18-2020 at 05:42 PM.

Incredible Member

My points.

1- At the end of "Dark Phoenix", mutants are no more seen in a "friendly" way. I doubt that humans would issue comic books about them in the 2000s/2010s or so. Also, Old Man Logan seems to imply that "fantastic/fantasy adventures" (like events depicted in 'Apocalypse', 'Dark Phoenix' and so on) did not occur at all.
    2- Old Man Logan killed the scientists in his version of the WX Program. Our Logan never did that in "Apocalypse", indeed he slaughtered the soldiers.
    3- There was no Transigen-Alkali in "Apocalypse". The WX facility was owned by the Essex Corporation.
    4- There was no adamantium bullet in "Apocalypse". In the original timeline, the adamantium bullet had been already used anyway, and it wasn't available anymore.
    5- There are mutant children at the school in the ending of DOFP (2023). This means that mutant births didn't stop in 2004, I mean in the mainstream X-Men universe. You can also spot Nate Grey among the children.
    6- In DOFP, Phoenix is alive. In the deleted scene of "Logan", Old Man Logan talks about killing Jean and his remorse. That said, I doubt that Phoenix wouldn't be able to stop Xavier from killing the X-Men.
    7- They never talk about the time-travelling issue. "Logan" follows the original timeline (a version of it).
    8- Caliban is totally different. He's another guy.
    9- Logan is supposed to have been "masked and costumed" in his X-Man days, wearing the comic book costume.
    10- Charles is 90 years old in "Logan" (2029). In the mainstream X-Men universe, he is born in 1932.

"Logan" invalidates all X-Men movies. Mutants become extinct. Xavier's dream fails. It's the worst ending ever.
    It's an alternate, "What If" universe.

1- Time changes things.
    2- We don't see everyone he kills.
    3- Owned by another company.
    4- He found one.
    5- Yeah... except that isn't Big Nate and the date of 2023 was never confirmed in film
    6- She comes back at the end of Dark Phoenix
    7- Why would they?
    8- The other dude is mentioned
    9- No, he even called the comics bullshit
    10- He's a nonagenarian - he's in his 90s, he's not explicitly 90

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post
    5- Yeah... except that isn't Big Nate and the date of 2023 was never confirmed in film
    8- The other dude is mentioned
    10- He's a nonagenarian - he's in his 90s, he's not explicitly 90
    1- 2023 is 100% confirmed. 50 years since 1973.
    8- No, it's not.
    10- He claims he was the same age of Laura when "Shane" was first released. That was even more specific.

Incredible Member

1- 2023 is 100% confirmed. 50 years since 1973.
    8- No, it's not.
    10- He claims he was the same age of Laura when "Shane" was first released. That was even more specific.
    1- I'm pretty sure it was about fifty years, but I could be wrong
    2- Yeah he is, Caliban straight up says you're thinking of someone else
    3- He's old and he has dementia/Shane was released earlier in this universe/he's a pathological liar

Quote Originally Posted by misty101 View Post
    This is a thread in the tv/film forum so...

Anyway, continuity in the X-films is such a mess and makes no sense at all, so Logan couldn't ruin what doesn't exist anyway.

BANNED

"This is an imaginary story, aren't they all?"

It doesn't matter whether Logan fits in continuity or not. I mean functionally speaking every version of X-Men is an Alternate Universe to 616 Comics.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    This is a thread in the tv/film forum so...

Anyway, continuity in the X-films is such a mess and makes no sense at all, so Logan couldn't ruin what doesn't exist anyway.
    I hated the scattering of some of my favourite characters in different decades. That was worse than the loose continuity.

Gambit lived in the 80s

Jubilee 80s

Emma 60s

Quicksilver 70s

The one good thing that would have come out of Dark Phoenix Bombing would have been to force Fox to just do a fresh reboot in 5 years after firing Kinberg of course.

Quote Originally Posted by misty101 View Post
    CBR hosts a community set of forums for various discussions related to comics including books, movies, fans and creators as well as various tangential topics.

This particular forum is for television and films.
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

The X-Men film series has a sloppy continuity, so a lot of the discrepancies wouldn't disqualify Logan as being "canon" in and of themselves.

I've heard the claims that it was labeled as different continuity, but there's never any source cited. Also worth noting that the people who made the movie were clear that it wasn't a Joker-like one off, which seems to be a more authoritative source then a secondary party's opinion. (Granted, James Mangold has admitted that he had no problem ignoring

Also, the reason that the movie has as much power as it does is that Hugh Jackman and Sir Patrick Stewart aren't just playing versions of Wolverine and Professor X, but the same ones we've been following since 1999.

So, in conclusion, I don't think there's a "good" reason to assume that the movie isn't part of the overall series.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

This WAS the future that was going to happen, but then Deadpool started messing around with Cable's time travel device and it's not going to happen now.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

IMO, there are only precisely 2 X-Men films that remotely matter: the first and second, and even those are mediocre at best. The rest are trash and not even worth theorizing about.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    The X-Men film series has a sloppy continuity, so a lot of the discrepancies wouldn't disqualify Logan as being "canon" in and of themselves.

I've heard the claims that it was labeled as different continuity, but there's never any source cited. Also worth noting that the people who made the movie were clear that it wasn't a Joker-like one off, which seems to be a more authoritative source then a secondary party's opinion. (Granted, James Mangold has admitted that he had no problem ignoring

Also, the reason that the movie has as much power as it does is that Hugh Jackman and Sir Patrick Stewart aren't just playing versions of Wolverine and Professor X, but the same ones we've been following since 1999.

So, in conclusion, I don't think there's a "good" reason to assume that the movie isn't part of the overall series.
    Logan is an alternate reality and a loose parallel universe movie. Joker is strictly a parallel universe of Batman films. Both have almost the same similar quantum theories but there are slight differences.

When you add Logan in the DOFP continuation it becomes the alternate reality, If DOFP changed the past. Logan gives an alternate story to the first story you have seen. If you ignore that to see it as complete what-if, Logan becomes a parallel universe like Joker since the director can just ignore everything and pretend this is first time you are see the characters. I think Logan is a loose parallel universe if you accept DOFP as the ending.

A loose parallel universe because no matter how we try, we can never ignore everything from an out-world view. Hugh Jackman and Stewart have played the roles many times unlike Joaquin Phoenix who is playing joker for the first time.

Mangold had some intentions to make another movie. Joker is a complete one-off. Instead of fans arguing what is the ending, the ending should be open to interpretation. Both are true endings, they fit the entire theme of the series. it was always a 50-50 chance that mutants die or live happily ever after and both films have those endings.
    Last edited by Castle; 07-19-2020 at 03:53 PM.