Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

The most fitting ending to the FoX-Men franchise is Dark Phoenix. A complete misunderstanding of beloved characters and stories, completely mismanaged by a movie studio that doesn't care about the franchise as a whole and has no intentions of managing the characters and stories in a way that would inspire continued success and loyalty among the fanbase. Just crapping out a movie with no regard for internal continuity or actually building to anything.

The Fox X-Men franchise died as it lived: being mostly bad and disappointing.

Considering the discrepancy in quality between Logan and Dark Phoenix, Logan being the end would mean the Fox movies end on a high note.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    The most fitting ending to the FoX-Men franchise is Dark Phoenix. A complete misunderstanding of beloved characters and stories, completely mismanaged by a movie studio that doesn't care about the franchise as a whole and has no intentions of managing the characters and stories in a way that would inspire continued success and loyalty among the fanbase. Just crapping out a movie with no regard for internal continuity or actually building to anything.

Dark Phoenix was never an ending or a finale. The addition of dark phoenix is getting shoved into our mouths. Disney may want to try and create a perfect storm here for the coming years. I see the fanbase ignoring dark phoenix like Friends fan base ignoring Joey or Harry Potter fan base ignoring Curse child.

The only finale intended movies are DOFP and Logan and they set the bar high, for not only ending on a high note. No other X-Men movie is going to cross it. Since their new studio cannot recreate films of that level or style. If you think the reboot movies from Disney can cross them, than dark phoenix is the real ending. It will be easy to cross though I will still cast doubt because of Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Considering the discrepancy in quality between Logan and Dark Phoenix, Logan being the end would mean the Fox movies end on a high note.
    LOL, In Hollywood there is the career of failing upwards. JJ Abrams, Kathleen Kennedy, Alex Kurtzman and Simon Kinberg. They all fail upwards. the more they fail, the more high profile jobs they get.

As for Logan ending things on a high note, its a concrete finale after 17 years but what of new mutants? its not a finale, its a parallel universe one off movie.

If DOFP can go on Disney plus without any censorship, editing or tweaking , Disney can surely drop a horror film on Disney plus. The troll date release change has become tiring.
    Last edited by Castle; 07-20-2020 at 01:05 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    This is a thread in the tv/film forum so...

Anyway, continuity in the X-films is such a mess and makes no sense at all, so Logan couldn't ruin what doesn't exist anyway.
    Not true. The timeline is complex, but it makes sense. Discrepancies are few and can be explained easily.

"LOGAN" has too many discrepancies to be considered as a canonical sequel to DOFP. I would say it's an "Elseworld" story, and even MARVEL and Jackman confirmed that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post

ALL movies in the Fox X-Men franchise are superb in their own right, and vastly better than most of the MCU efforts. Sorry, I don't agree with you at all.
    The only "flawed" entry is ORIGINS, which is still a fun and entertaining superhero movie with some value.

The Fox X-Men movies are intense, brilliant, drama-filled superhero movies aimed at adults, not children.

Extraordinary Member

Isn't every X-men movie an alternate universe after 3?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    Not true. The timeline is complex, but it makes sense. Discrepancies are few and can be explained easily.

"LOGAN" has too many discrepancies to be considered as a canonical sequel to DOFP. I would say it's an "Elseworld" story, and even MARVEL and Jackman confirmed that.
    Not with this scene. I think this scene opened the door for Logan to be a possible sequel since Xavier and Logan are the only two people that remember

BANNED

Anybody is overlooking the importance of "The New Mutants" in the X-Men continuity.

We got a 34 years old Roberto da Costa/Sunspot (Adan Canto) in year 2023 (DOFP). This means that Sunspot will be 18 years old in the mid-2000s or late-2000s. Besides, we also know that Illyana/Magik is the little sister of Colossus, and we already got an adult Piotr/Colossus in 1999/2000.

So "The New Mutants" is placed in the 2000s, I would say 2008 or so.

If there are NO reference to the mutant race going gradually "extinct" or the lack of mutant births since 2004, we can safely assume that "Logan" is an alternate continuity. Hopefully.

"The New Mutants" could be the final milestone in the continuity and the key to understand the fate of the revised timeline better.

ALL movies in the Fox X-Men franchise are superb in their own right, and vastly better than most of the MCU efforts. Sorry, I don't agree with you at all.
    The only "flawed" entry is ORIGINS, which is still a fun and entertaining superhero movie with some value.

The Fox X-Men movies are intense, brilliant, drama-filled superhero movies aimed at adults, not children.
    Am I weird for liking both the MCU and old Fox X-Men movies? I mean, I think Days of Future Past and Logan are up there with the very best in the genre (MCU or otherwise).

(I do think that the bad MCU movies are way better then the bad X-Men ones, but eh.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

X-Men 1 & 2 had the same team of writer and director, so they've had consistency in continuity and are still high points in the history of CBMs. While X-Men 3 has a different team behind it of writing and directing, they still remained consistent to what came before, and the Dark Phoenix stuff is natural continuation of what Jean displayed in X2.

X-Men Origins ignores the trilogy, it was bad, and every other director flat out ignored it.

X-Men First Class took a turn and should be considered the start of a new continuity, it didn't try to share threads with the previous trilogy.

James Mangold's The Wolverine and Logan are continuations of the old trilogy.

Days of Future Past came in and melded the continuities of First Class and the first trilogy together, the mesh mash is bad and inconsistent. While it has points that should make it count as a better movie, it isn't really good, this is the thing that truly starts the confusing mix up that had no business happening.

X-Men Apocalypse ignores ages of characters from the old trilogy, and continued being uninterested in being connected to anything that came prior due to the ages of characters, era, and a lot of other nonsense.

Dark Phoenix is awful crap that continued ignoring the old trilogy and even DoFP, the highest grossing movie in the franchise that is not Deadpool, and makes me think that nobody focused on the small details, or anything else.

Deadpool is a spoof of the timeline and the only thing that acknowledges the entire franchise continuity along with making Green Lantern canon, surrounded by a focused story about a cancer patient with artificially injected healing powers and his love life.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Logan should be the ending out of respect for Hugh Jackman and the 20th anniversary of the first film.

I don't plan on ever watching Dark Phoenix. I trust the fans reactions and reviews of X-Men films. If they say it's terrible, then it's terrible.
    Last edited by Valentis; 07-21-2020 at 12:27 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Am I weird for liking both the MCU and old Fox X-Men movies?
    No, it's proper and legit. But some fans think the MCU movies are the "Holy Bible" of the superhero genre and they are untouchable. Not at all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post

X-Men Apocalypse ignores ages of characters from the old trilogy, and continued being uninterested in being connected to anything that came prior due to the ages of characters, era, and a lot of other nonsense.

That's not true at all. Cyclops' age is nicely consistent with ORIGINS (1983). There are no discrepancies at all.
    Storm, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver --- they all line up with what has been previously established.

The "Angel"/Archangel in "Apocalypse" is not Warren Worthington III. He's a Seraphim (see the comic books).
    We know that this subset of mutants exists in the mainstream movie universe because we already got an X-Ray image of one Seraphim's wing in "Origins" (1983).

BANNED

No, it's proper and legit. But some fans think the MCU movies are the "Holy Bible" of the superhero genre and they are untouchable. Not at all.
    They don't think so about Disney CBMs, Its too ignorant. DOFP currently is showing fans on Disney plus a different type of CBM above what they understand with Disney ,that is been appreciated. Hope Disney plus put Logan up next and new mutants if it is any good.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    X-Men 1 & 2 had the same team of writer and director, so they've had consistency in continuity and are still high points in the history of CBMs. While X-Men 3 has a different team behind it of writing and directing, they still remained consistent to what came before, and the Dark Phoenix stuff is natural continuation of what Jean displayed in X2.

X-Men Origins ignores the trilogy, it was bad, and every other director flat out ignored it.

X-Men First Class took a turn and should be considered the start of a new continuity, it didn't try to share threads with the previous trilogy.

James Mangold's The Wolverine and Logan are continuations of the old trilogy.

Days of Future Past came in and melded the continuities of First Class and the first trilogy together, the mesh mash is bad and inconsistent. While it has points that should make it count as a better movie, it isn't really good, this is the thing that truly starts the confusing mix up that had no business happening.

Dark Phoenix is awful crap that continued ignoring the old trilogy and even DoFP, the highest grossing movie in the franchise that is not Deadpool, and makes me think that nobody focused on the small details, or anything else.

Deadpool is a spoof of the timeline and the only thing that acknowledges the entire franchise continuity along with making Green Lantern canon, surrounded by a focused story about a cancer patient with artificially injected healing powers and his love life.
    First Class is the first true alternate universe. The events of first class slightly matches up with what Xavier said in X-Men 1.

The Wolverine is a continuation of X-Men 3.

The timeline goes like this using sense.

X-Men Origins (Loose continuity)
    X-men First Class (Loose continuity)
    X-Men
    X-Men 2
    X-Men 3
    The Wolverine
    DOFP (Loose continuity)
    Logan ((Loose continuity/Alternate reality)

Apocalypse (Alternate reality)
    DP (Alternate reality)

Deadpool (Parallel Universe)
    Deadpool 2 (Parallel Universe)

New Mutants (Parallel Universe)
    Last edited by Castle; 07-21-2020 at 04:59 AM.

And somepeople thin the MCU movies are trash just because Disney made them. The truth is somewhere in the middle.