Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    Howard the Duck. What he lacks in skill (compared to greater investigative minds anyway) he more than makes up for in a very Dirk Gently "fate will provide the answer" kind of way.
    There's Terror, Inc...but nah.

I think the real answer is Jamie Madrox aka Multiple Man, and if you posted this in the X-Men forum it would have come up already.
    Howard the Duck, Dirk Gently, AND Jamie Madrox referenced in one post. That’s incredibly cool.

I’ve no problem w. Jamie being Marvel’s greatest detective actually.
    I really wish they’d push him as such. It’s a distinction that would set him apart from his fellow mutants, and let him operate across the MU in a variety of ways (thought I was gonna say multiple ways didn’t ya).

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Ultimately, I think the Jessicas own this. Jessica Jones has been addressed, but Jessica Drew ran a PI firm in San Francisco when she lost her Spider powers for a time.
    Jessica Drew is still a PI to this day, but now operates in New York.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

the vision.

Madrox was a hell of a detective. I don't know what he's doing now.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Hodiah Twist

BANNED

Reed Richards has been shown to aid law enforcement authorities in solving mysteries in one particular storyline. Matt Murdock also somewhat is a type of investigator as he has been shown to us e his super senses to uncover the true criminal to exonerate his client and of course there are the jessicas and X investigation agency. Currently Ewing has Black Adam, agent Chung and Night thrasher investigating the mystery of the eternity mask. Black Widow as a spy has sometimes investigated potential threats and been involved in intrigue. So has Mockingbird, Quake and Sharon Carter. Have to say that I can't think of any cop turned investigator apart from Misty Knight.

Spectacular Member

Talking about X-Men characters, Wolverine and Longshot may not be the most skilled, but their powers allow them to solve a lot of mysteries.
    IIRC, Nightcrawler too did some sleuthing in the early days didn't he?
    I haven't read much Deadpool, but I was told he's pretty decent in investigation. Bucky too.

Coincidentally Two Women named Jessica ie. Jones and Drew

Quote Originally Posted by la.forsaken View Post
    Coincidentally Two Women named Jessica ie. Jones and Drew
    It's not entirely coincidental. Originally Bendis Alias book was about Jessica Drew, before he instead went on to create Jessica Jones.

Wasn't nightman a detective? Shame marvel killed the marvel universe version. Dakota north and dominic fortune are detectives also.

Of course we all know who the best detective in the marvel universe is.

Sledgehammer!

[IMG][/IMG]

Marvel has a bunch of female PI's who are reasonably solid detectives but I don't think any of them are particularly exceptional compared to DC's detectives

(I mean, "DC" literally stands for "Detective Comics" so they'd kind of have to excel in that regard).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Marvel has a bunch of female PI's who are reasonably solid detectives but I don't think any of them are particularly exceptional compared to DC's detectives

(I mean, "DC" literally stands for "Detective Comics" so they'd kind of have to excel in that regard).
    You know with that said, when was the last time you had a real big mystery story in Batman that was solved on page logically based on information laid down before us? Since the success of Marvel, you see Batman and other comics imitate Marvel by making storylines and concepts about Batman getting suckered in and figuring out the mystery after the villain explains it. Batman didn't exactly solve the case of The Long Halloween, he didn't solve the mystery of Hush.

About the only time recently you had that mystery solving on page happen is in Grant Morrison's run, where Dick Grayson's Batman lays out on page based on clues who Oberon Sexton actually is.

In WATCHMEN, we see Dan Dreiberg behave like a proper detective next to Rorschach's very Marvel-inspired approach to mystery and crime solving (i.e. f--k around getting into messes and then wait for the bad guy to explain stuff to you).

I think it's because Marvel introduced neurotic characterization and DC followed. Since so much time is devoted to exploring the major malfunctions of the characters, writers don't really know how to make them functional and reliable anymore.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

While he's a tank in a human body its easy to forget how capable Punisher is of doing detective work. He has to find his victims somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    You know with that said, when was the last time you had a real big mystery story in Batman that was solved on page logically based on information laid down before us? Since the success of Marvel, you see Batman and other comics imitate Marvel by making storylines and concepts about Batman getting suckered in and figuring out the mystery after the villain explains it. Batman didn't exactly solve the case of The Long Halloween, he didn't solve the mystery of Hush.

About the only time recently you had that mystery solving on page happen is in Grant Morrison's run, where Dick Grayson's Batman lays out on page based on clues who Oberon Sexton actually is.

In WATCHMEN, we see Dan Dreiberg behave like a proper detective next to Rorschach's very Marvel-inspired approach to mystery and crime solving (i.e. f--k around getting into messes and then wait for the bad guy to explain stuff to you).

I think it's because Marvel introduced neurotic characterization and DC followed. Since so much time is devoted to exploring the major malfunctions of the characters, writers don't really know how to make them functional and reliable anymore.
    I mean, I've read a few modern Batman stories where he solves a mystery or two. I can think of a few mysteries he solved in Snyder's run. I think the Manapul 'Tec run was deliberately mystery focused.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

I asked on the Batman forum what are like, the top ten mysteries Bats has solved.
    While I haven’t checked responses since I logged back in a few minutes ago, the results have been...underwhelming.