Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1

    Default MCU Thor possible feats

    Are these feats legit in your opinion or wank/misunderstood?

    Thor easily survived the Bifrost explosion which caused a wormhole capable of drawing in stars in Thor 2011 movie final battle scene.

    Loki survived going through the same wormhole.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE8HuCVAamg

    1:38, you can see the wormhole in the background seemingly sucking stars.

    Thor survived the destruction of a ship that passed through a singularity in Ragnarok when Thanos blew it up in IW.

    Thor took hits from Malekith with Aether who was going to turn a galaxy into dark matter in a short amount of time (seemingly minutes) in Dark World.

  2. #2
    Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,373

    Default

    Down this road lies madness.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta

    "Get off my lawn!

    ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops."
    - Sharpandpointies

    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

  3. #3
    Prince of Duckness Beadle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,900

    Default

    Also, this kind of feels like you’re asking the question to solve an argument / disagreement elsewhere.

    Is that a fair and accurate assumption?

  4. #4
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    6,606

    Default

    I feel like we've done some of these before.

    Thor easily survived the Bifrost explosion which caused a wormhole capable of drawing in stars in Thor 2011 movie final battle scene.

    Loki survived going through the same wormhole.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE8HuCVAamg

    1:38, you can see the wormhole in the background seemingly sucking stars.
    Also, this is flatly not accurate because the scale of the scene would make no sense if this were true. If those points of light are meant to be stars [which I don't think they are] and then wormhole is pulling them in, then wormhole would have to be millions of miles away from Loki and Thor. Whereas in that very clip, where Loki lets go and falls in, he only falls for a matter of seconds before entering the portal.

    So... no, they aren't stars.
    Twitter
    Tumblr
    Follow my social media for animations and art and junk.
    Art Thread on CBR

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    .
    No, not really. I was just wondering what you guys thought of this. I asked this question on Comicvine too.

    I can see why you think that tho, considering this is a new account and the way I say it it looks like I'm pharaphrasibg someone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I feel like we've done some of these before.



    Also, this is flatly not accurate because the scale of the scene would make no sense if this were true. If those points of light are meant to be stars [which I don't think they are] and then wormhole is pulling them in, then wormhole would have to be millions of miles away from Loki and Thor. Whereas in that very clip, where Loki lets go and falls in, he only falls for a matter of seconds before entering the portal.

    So... no, they aren't stars.
    I don't think we see Loki actually enter the portal there. He seems to disappear from sight after a while.

    Also, they do look like real stars instead of mini-stars. I don't think that's a thing.
    Last edited by OptimusMegatron01; 07-19-2020 at 11:38 AM.

  6. #6
    Prince of Duckness Beadle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OptimusMegatron01 View Post
    No, not really. I was just wondering what you guys thought of this. I asked this question on Comicvine too.

    I can see why you think that tho, considering this is a new account and the way I say it it looks like I'm pharaphrasibg someone else.
    Fair enough. Just checking.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Down this road lies madness.
    Pretty much this.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

  8. #8
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    6,606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OptimusMegatron01 View Post
    I don't think we see Loki actually enter the portal there. He seems to disappear from sight after a while.
    That's both wrong and kind of irrelevant to the point I'm making.

    Loki falls towards the portal and disappears into it in five seconds of falling. The portal closes and is no longer there about five seconds after he goes in. So, the maximum amount of time Loki has to fall into it from he lets go of the spear is ten seconds.

    Assuming he's instantly falling at terminal velocity for ease of calculation (he's not he actually falls pretty slowly) the furthest the portal could be from Asgard for Loki to go through before it completely closed is a little over 1/3rd of a mile. Heck, he's in space being sucked into a wormhole, maybe he's going faster than normal terminal velocity (he's not but let's pretend). We could even double his speed and and we'd still only get 0.7 miles away.

    If the "stars" being sucked in are actual stars they must be millions of miles away because they look like tiny points of lights. As described above the portal is near enough to Asgard that Loki can fall into it within a maximum of ten seconds. We see a "star" or two being pulled in which means the wormhole is apparently effecting things millions of miles away (but somehow not actually dragging the much smaller Asgard in at much closer range) and those stars are being moved untold millions of miles way faster than Loki is pulled in.

    They aren't stars. To claim that they are requires some pretty ridiculous leaps of logic that ignore a lot of things that happen in the scene.

    Also, they do look like real stars instead of mini-stars. I don't think that's a thing.
    Not sure what your point is here. Asgard is magic shining city populated by space vikings who do magic, that also isn't a thing.
    Twitter
    Tumblr
    Follow my social media for animations and art and junk.
    Art Thread on CBR

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    .
    But why would Loki fall at just terminal velocity when he's being sucked in a wormhole? If that portal is sucking in stars from that far away, it should suck Loki's mass (who weighs at best little more than a normal human) at MFTL speeds when Loki is caught in the gravitional field.

    The reason why Loki was not falling MFTL in the first few seconds would prolly be because of story and artistic reasons and/or he got much faster as he got closer to the wormhole. The reason Asgard was not sucked is probably the same. Consider that fiction often ignores such things (things like attack AOE not damaging concrete etc.). Another example from MCU is the Neutron Star feat (it is meant to be a real star). If that scene was completely accurate, the scene wouldn't be possible as it is either.

    By saying "I don't think that's a thing", I meant that there's no concrete evidence that they aren't stars. Asgard is a floating rock in space, why would it be surrounded by fake stars for some reason? Such a thing has never been stated or shown. It is also in normal space in the MCU, not in some other dimension where things might be somewhat different than normal space, unlike the comics.
    Last edited by OptimusMegatron01; 07-19-2020 at 12:51 PM.

  10. #10
    Prince of Duckness Beadle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Not sure what your point is here. Asgard is magic shining city populated by space vikings who do magic, that also isn't a thing.
    [sadface]It... it... *sniff* ... it isn’t...?[/sadface]

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OptimusMegatron01 View Post
    But why would Loki fall at terminal velocity when he's being sucked in a wormhole? If that portal is sucking in stars from that far away, it should suck Loki's mass (who weighs at best little more than a normal human) at MFTL speeds when Loki is caught in the gravitional field.

    The reason why Loki might look like he's not falling MFTL in the first few seconds would prolly be because of story and artistic reasons or he got much faster as he got closer to the wormhole. The reason Asgard was not sucked is probably the same. Consider that fiction often ignores such things (things like attack AOE not damaging concrete etc.). Another example from MCU is the Neutron Star feat (it is meant to be a real star). If that scene was completely accurate, the scene wouldn't be possible as it is either.

    By saying "I don't think that's a thing", I meant that there's no concrete evidence that they aren't stars. Asgard is a floating rock in space, why would it be surrounded by fake stars for some reason? Such a thing has never been stated or shown. It is also in normal space in the MCU, not in some other dimension where things might be somewhat different than normal space, unlike the comics.
    Question: How strong do you think Hulk, Thanos and Kurse are? I mean, they all made Thor bleed or got him dizzy.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

  12. #12
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    6,606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OptimusMegatron01 View Post
    The reason why Loki was not falling MFTL in the first few seconds would prolly be because of story and artistic reasons and/or he got much faster as he got closer to the wormhole. The reason Asgard was not sucked is probably the same. Consider that fiction often ignores such things (things like attack AOE not damaging concrete etc.). Another example from MCU is the Neutron Star feat (it is meant to be a real star). If that scene was completely accurate, the scene wouldn't be possible as it is either.
    See, this statement here? This is basically you saying "Loki wasn't shown to be falling at massively faster than light speeds but he actually was for no other reason beyond I say so,"

    At this point I don't think we can actually discuss the feats because you're flatly contradicting the thing that was shown in the text of the piece.
    Twitter
    Tumblr
    Follow my social media for animations and art and junk.
    Art Thread on CBR

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Question: How strong do you think Hulk, Thanos and Kurse are? I mean, they all made Thor bleed or got him dizzy.
    I think they would probably scale to Thor. I mean, especially Thanos and Kurse is almost all scaling anyway. They are supposed to be stronger than Thor.

    Hulk would probably scale to Thor too (regardless of whether these specific feats are legit or not) but he does have some low showings, I think.

    If we go by visuals (how powerful their punches look etc.), even MCU high tiers are mostly street level but imo that doesn't fit the narrative or high tier feats (not these possible ones I listed in the OP).

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    See, this statement here? This is basically you saying "Loki wasn't shown to be falling at massively faster than light speeds but he actually was for no other reason beyond I say so,"

    At this point I don't think we can actually discuss the feats because you're flatly contradicting the thing that was shown in the text of the piece.
    As I said, Loki disappears from sight after a while, we don't even see how fast he was while entering the Wormhole tbh. Logically he should be MFTL if the stars were getting sucked. The closer he gets to the wromhole, the faster he should get too.

    Why wouldn't they be real stars? Asgard is a rock floating in normal space.

    Edit: IDK if double post is allowed, if not apologies, I can't delete it
    Last edited by OptimusMegatron01; 07-19-2020 at 01:11 PM.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OptimusMegatron01 View Post
    I think they would probably scale to Thor. I mean, especially Thanos and Kurse is almost all scaling anyway. They are supposed to be stronger than Thor.

    Hulk would probably scale to Thor too (regardless of whether these specific feats are legit or not) but he does have some low showings, I think.

    If we go by visuals (how powerful their punches look etc.), even MCU high tiers are mostly street level but imo that doesn't fit the narrative or high tier feats (not these possible ones I listed in the OP).
    Ok.

    So, do you feel comfortable saying that these characters are throwing out megatons worth of force with every attack? Are they continent busters? Moon busters? Super nova level?
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •