Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Damn there was some crazy comic book **** in this issue. Emptying out a Mafia owned bar, shrinking it down with Brainiac tech, and sending it to Leone as a warning to back off? Guess that’s what Bendis meant when he said the Superfamily is going to be a “good” crime family because that is some gangster **** right there. Wish Romita Jr. wasn’t still on art but I’m kind of getting used to him.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Exceptional issue.

This was the best the book has been since the Leviathan Rising issues, and just flat out better than early invisible mafia stuff. This feels like Bendis at near maximum comfort. Scenes are paced out well, the back and forth between characters is strong, and the general atmosphere is a pretty great grafting super insanity onto flat out crime fiction. And the ending stinger was a great wrinkle that keeps up the energy.

But f%&k all that. "The Kandor" is one of the greatest additions to the Superman world ever. It's a genuinely amazing gag that's dressed up and made to function like gang warfare. Superdickery as mafia tactics is legitimately genius. And the compounded absurdity of the visual of Jon Kent firing off what looks like a machine gun, but turns out to be a shrink ray is out. F%&king. Standing.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Isn't Conner supposed to have Lex's eyes? I think that would be the only part of him that would actually resemble Lex.

I think losing an entire planet and culture that you've struggled to reconcile and reconnect with would weigh on anyone, especially when he'll never be completely human (and in some regards he'll never be completely Kryptonian).
    No he was always supposed to look exactly like Clark as a teenager. He was made In his image. In other media appearances like Smallville and Reign he has some Luthor traits. In reign he looks exactly like Superman but with Lex's gray eyes. In Smallville he looked like a teenage Lex with Clark's hair but in the Smallville comic it's noted that his features have changed even further to resemble Clark. Not sure how I feel about him having some of Lex's features. Having his eyes is about as far as I go.

Conceptually I loved the issue. Shrinking the club was genius! I wish there was another artist. It hurt to look at it in many parts.

Quote Originally Posted by 13th Superman View Post
    No he was always supposed to look exactly like Clark as a teenager. He was made In his image. In other media appearances like Smallville and Reign he has some Luthor traits. In reign he looks exactly like Superman but with Lex's gray eyes. In Smallville he looked like a teenage Lex with Clark's hair but in the Smallville comic it's noted that his features have changed even further to resemble Clark. Not sure how I feel about him having some of Lex's features. Having his eyes is about as far as I go.

Just the eyes, only the eyes please DC.

Superboy shouldn't look a thing like Lex, eyes or otherwise. As long as the purpose of his initial origin is the same, that he was created as an attempt to replace Superman after he died, then he's a clone that was then molded to make sure looked exactly like Superman, because he was supposed to be the new Superman. Unless this is a sign of that ultimate origin changing even further. Which would be stupid. They quit the continuity where they had the chance to alter him in more substantial ways.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-21-2020 at 04:57 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Superboy shouldn't look a thing like Lex, eyes or otherwise. As long as the purpose of his initial origin is the same, that he was created as an attempt to replace Superman after he died, then he's a clone that was then deliberately altered to look exactly like Superman, because he was supposed to BE the new Superman. Unless this is a sign of that ultimate origin changing even further. Which would suck.

Totally agree, but things have changed a lot since he came out dirigj the Reign of the Superman.

I wouldn't even be surprised if he had the barcode S tattoo on his arm

Yeah, I guess I just feel so strongly because I never liked the initial retcon to begin with. The Lex angle has always been unnecessary and overrated to me. In actual practice it only ever hurt the character even though in theory I can understand the idea's appeal. The Lex connection needs to be lessened in my eyes, not focused on again and this just reads to me as a sign of it coming into play again in the future which is annoying to me.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

From what Doctor Glory over in Young Justice said after she found out and looked into who and what Conner was, Conner was made specifically because someone (apparently not Lex, Cadmus, or Nowhere anymore) wanted to mix Lex's DNA with Superman's. This implies that they let the chips fall wherever they may as far as his looks go. Red hair is non dominant anyway.

I'm fine with it and frankly always assumed it since the Lex inclusion.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Superboy shouldn't look a thing like Lex, eyes or otherwise. As long as the purpose of his initial origin is the same, that he was created as an attempt to replace Superman after he died, then he's a clone that was then molded to make sure looked exactly like Superman, because he was supposed to be the new Superman. Unless this is a sign of that ultimate origin changing even further. Which would be stupid. They quit the continuity where they had the chance to alter him in more substantial ways.
    If he does have Lex traits then they should be extremely subtle.

I loved his 1st kesel version, they could have just have him live with the Kent's in Smallville, called him Conner Kent,had him wear the t-shirt and jeans, and last grew into more kryptonian like powers(its mostly heat and xray vision, hearing, and more powerful physicals, by TTK of course), they didn't need lex involved, he could have stayed a Westfield super clone easily.

BUT they changed it so now us kon/Conner fans have to live with it.

The reign movies superboy was actually cool with the eyes

New 52 superboy and the Titans TV shows superboy are cool with the barcode S tattoo

If they played up his cunningness,his willingness to bend a Lil more on things than Clark, and had him be really damn smart, it could be cool, but not if they are just using him as a dumb kid with barely any personality, like right now.

He should be the thorn in lexs side that he can't lose.

Imagine his present YJ punk type look, minus the punk crap thst isn't doing anything for him, like the spikes, and add a solid black t-shirt with a red S on it, with the look.... Just imagine lol.

Plus using TTK/TK powers right along with his standard kryptonian powers he has now.

The kid can be SUPER interesting if they wanted him to be, I think they are going out of their way to make him bland

If he does have Lex traits then they should be extremely subtle.
    Personally I’d make Conner way more skilled at being underhanded and manipulative than Clark is allowed to be these days. Like Silver Age Superman.

Mighty Member

Isn't Conner supposed to have Lex's eyes? I think that would be the only part of him that would actually resemble Lex.
    No he ISNT!
    As he returned from death and lived in Smallville again (the issue or an issue after when Cassie and Conner had their date in Smallville on the Kent Farm) he encountered BRAINIAC and LUTHOR.

Brainiac looked at Conner and said something like: He has Kal Els Eyes!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Conner looks like both Clark and Lex, someone was bound to make the joke.
    No never...
    He was always designed to be a young version of Clark...

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Well "if x and y had a kid" is usually the short-hand people use in the United States for saying someone looks like two people. Considering he's a clone of those two people, it makes sense.
    Its also typical in my country, BUT!! CONNER always looked like an exactly young Clark...

They changed his look over the years, BUT!

I think after the encounter with Gog Conner said to Clark that people says that he looks like Clark...

Brainiac hold Conner and said he has Clarks eyes

In Young Justice Anime Conner look 100% like Clark only smaller.

This is than seemingly another reboot...

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Personally I’d make Conner way more skilled at being underhanded and manipulative than Clark is allowed to be these days. Like Silver Age Superman.
    I think this was actually a plot point in Johns' Adventure Comics run where Conner was constantly testing himself to see whether he was acting more like Superman or more like Luthor.

I think this was actually a plot point in Johns' Adventure Comics run where Conner was constantly testing himself to see whether he was acting more like Superman or more like Luthor.
    Yeah, he even has a list.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona