Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Like, this sort of choke, complete with her seemingly unable to free herself and clearly gasping for air and in pain, is NOT the kind of choke one can accomplish without being considerably stronger.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    In order to choke someone out in the manner he did (I think he was just straight grabbing her throat from the front?) you need to be stronger then they are. Otherwise it would be extremely easy to break that kind of grip.

A weaker person can choke a stronger person for sure, but generally only with an actual technique and an advantageous position.
    Unless you choke them out faster than they can do something about it, which is what happened in the Gladiator case.

Also i am still not sure why would that in particular be an indicator for why Gladiator can bust a planet while jumping.

BANNED

Like, this sort of choke, complete with her seemingly unable to free herself and clearly gasping for air and in pain, is NOT the kind of choke one can accomplish without being considerably stronger.
    You literally can, especially when the person is distracted and you grab them all of a sudden, you also ignore the force that comes with the grab, you can literally disable a person just by hitting them had in the throat and i am pretty sure Jane felt a lot of pressure as soon as Gladiator jumped at her throat with his hand, this doesn't exactly tell me who is stronger unless i see a prolonged struggle, he just caught her by surprise.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Kind of have to agree that this doesn't really show much for Gladiator's strength as relative to Jane!Thor.

You got any more panels from this sequence to show how she reacts or whether she can escape or not? That would be a much better resource to use than a single panel.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Kind of have to agree that this doesn't really show much for Gladiator's strength as relative to Jane!Thor.

You got any more panels from this sequence to show how she reacts or whether she can escape or not? That would be a much better resource to use than a single panel.
    Here is the whole page

Gladiator son attacks her, she is distracted and talking to him when Gladiator jumps at her and grabs her throat holding her for 2 panels before teleporting away, it all happened way to fast for it to be a clear indication of him physically overpowering her, it also doesn't relate(at least not to me) with being able to planet bust by jumping.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Yah, that's not really concrete one way or the other. One could argue it's a speedfeat more than anything. Especially since Jane!Thor had that whole "do a brain surgery at the speed of lightning," feat, right?

Gladiator really moving quite quick to completely snatch her at point blank range without her doing anything to stop him.

BANNED

Yah, that's not really concrete one way or the other. One could argue it's a speedfeat more than anything. Especially since Jane!Thor had that whole "do a brain surgery at the speed of lightning," feat, right?

Gladiator really moving quite quick to completely snatch her at point blank range without her doing anything to stop him.
    Yea he blitzed her, in that same issue prior to fighting her he traveled across a galaxy in a blink of an eye, blitzing Heimdall, although surprisingly Heimdall tanked such a blitz without much harm.

He has enough time to calmly inform his subordinates to power up the teleporter with her hands around his wrist unable to get out. If she could have removed his hands in the 5 or so seconds it would take to say that, she would have.

Brock freaking Lesnar couldn't keep ONE hand around my neck while standing with his feet planted for more then a second or two if I was resisting.

And I am absolutely not Lesnar strong. :P

I'm not just saying this either. I have a pretty well developed background in self defense and grappling. A one handed choke in the manner Gladiator manages would require a large strength gap.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

BANNED

He has enough time to calmly inform his subordinates to power up the teleporter with her hands around his wrist unable to get out. If she could have removed his hands in the 5 or so seconds it would take to say that, she would have.

Brock freaking Lesnar couldn't keep ONE hand around my neck while standing with his feet planted for more then a second or two if I was resisting.

And I am absolutely not Lesnar strong. :P

I'm not just saying this either. I have a pretty well developed background in self defense and grappling. A one handed choke in the manner Gladiator manages would require a large strength gap.
    You are ignoring the fact that the impact of him grabbing her neck likely stunned her.

And it's actually very hard to pry someones grip away from something, i dunno about the rules but there are police videos where 4 policemen can't force a man to let go a stick for half a minute that i could post here.

If Brock Lesnar lifted you up in the air with his one hand(and didn't just crush your throat but held you in the air like Gladiator did with Jane) i guarantee you, you wouldn't be breaking his grip on you.

I could see your argument about the strength gap if he didn't just grab her hard out of nowhere choking her airflow and lifted her of the ground not allowing for her to have any way to brace herself against him, the whole thing happened way too quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    You are ignoring the fact that the impact of him grabbing her neck likely stunned her.

And it's actually very hard to pry someones grip away from something, i dunno about the rules but there are police videos where 4 policemen can't force a man to let go a stick for half a minute that i could post here.

If Brock Lesnar lifted you up in the air with his one hand(and didn't just crush your throat but held you in the air like Gladiator did with Jane) i guarantee you, you wouldn't be breaking his grip on you.

I could see your argument about the strength gap if he didn't just grab her hard out of nowhere choking her airflow and lifted her of the ground not allowing for her to have any way to brace herself against him, the whole thing happened way too quickly.
    You are ignoring types of grip. A closed fist with fingers curled around a small unyielding stick/pipe is much easier to hold then an object you cannot totally close your fingers around that is also soft and flexible (a neck).

Anyways, we are straying dangerously close to uncomfortable topics of men and holding women's necks, so I'm out before this inadvertently becomes an instance where real world atrocities become arguing points for comic characters.
    - big_adventure

BANNED

You are ignoring types of grip. A closed fist with fingers curled around a small unyielding stick/pipe is much easier to hold then an object you cannot totally close your fingers around that is also soft and flexible (a neck).

Anyways, we are straying dangerously close to uncomfortable topics of men and holding women's necks, so I'm out before this inadvertently becomes an instance where real world atrocities become arguing points for comic characters.
    Obviously and stunning someone by hitting them as you grab them by the neck and squeeze them hard enough for them to start gasping immediately also does not turn this into a proper strength contest, the advantage is obviously in the favor of the one doing the choking.

Umm ok.

Just to be clear though, I was not arguing being stronger then Jane means he could replicate the planet jumping feat. Just that in my opinion, that scene seemed to establish him as the physically stronger person between them. Mileage clearly varies!
    - big_adventure

BANNED

To me a scene has to be more clear cut than that, hitting someone in the neck then squeeze it before they can even get their bearings and are gasping for air and then teleporting away all happening in just a few seconds is not an ideal indicator to me on who is physically stronger, there are too many variables there and the person doing the choking is in an obvious advantage. It's like if you punched someone in the stomach hard then tried to grapple and wrestle with them and throw them to the ground, that doesn't mean you've proven you are stronger than them, it means they had the wind punched out of them and were obviously hampered, it's not a clear cut instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    You literally can, especially when the person is distracted and you grab them all of a sudden, you also ignore the force that comes with the grab, you can literally disable a person just by hitting them had in the throat and i am pretty sure Jane felt a lot of pressure as soon as Gladiator jumped at her throat with his hand, this doesn't exactly tell me who is stronger unless i see a prolonged struggle, he just caught her by surprise.
    Really?

What about this? Was this prolonged struggle?

What conclusion should a reader draw about Immortal Hulk's strength from viewing the scan below?

hulkjanethorhercules.jpg
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Really?

What about this? Was this prolonged struggle?

What conclusion should a reader draw about Immortal Hulk's strength from viewing the scan below?

hulkjanethorhercules.jpg
    I was talking about that specific instance between Jane and Kallark.

Obviously it doesn't have to be a prolonged struggle, characters could literally armwrestle and one of them could beat the other in an instant, the problem is the nature of the feat above.

The feat that you posted below also isn't a feat of just pure physical strength, Hulk just punched them away he didn't grapple with them, i think this feat would fit better your intentions

especially with the added script

Last edited by Intothevoid; 08-05-2020 at 12:45 PM.