Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Do and Aquaman J’onn J’onzz have any really good friendships in the Big Seven?

What I mean is, Pre Crisis and into the present, DC has always fostered the Batman/Superman (World’s Finest) dynamic...

thrown WW in w. them to make the very strong Trinity relationship...

Hal Jordan and Barry Allen are unofficially The Brave & The Bold (even Kyle and Wally got in on that)...

And then there’s J’onn and Aquaman.
    Am I forgetting some other notable maybe even named combination among the Seven that includes these guys?
    TBC i know there are relationships that branch out and include other teammates but just interested in the Big Seven and how J’onn and Aquaman fit in.

Not the comics but the JL cartoon gave J'onn and Wonder Woman something of a friendship unique to them.

.....Does Mera count? If you can’t count your wife who is on the team who can you count as a best friend.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

^^^Thought I was pretty clear, but no.

Extraordinary Member

Aquaman and Wonder Woman.
    They even met each other when they were teens.

Different eras of JL comics have occasionally tried to establish closer friendships for J'onn and Aquaman, but I don't think there has been enough consistency to really pin down anything as iconic enough to be considered canon. For example, that Aquaman/Wonder Woman friendship, has it been mentioned by more than one writer? I might be wrong, but I don't think so. Until an idea like this is carried across multiple writers, possibly across multiple reboots, I don't think any special friendships are really going to take root.

Astonishing Member

I feel like J'onn even with his role as the ultimate outsider has more than Aquaman. They've played up his friendships with Superman (fellow alien), Batman (fellow detective), and there's some good overlap with Flash and GL, and some fun interaction with Wonder Woman sometimes.

Aquaman decidedly less. With the exception specifically of Batman in Batman: The Brave and Bold. OUTRAGEOUS. But they've definitely attempted the Wonder Woman friendship a few times with varying results that sort of make some amount of sense, although frankly Wonder Woman's friendship with Mera is bolder and more fun.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^Thought I was pretty clear, but no.
    Oh crud my mistake, should have read clearer. Then I’m going to say Martian Manhunter and Superman have had some common ground with each other as survivors of alien races.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

On my personal list of DC ideas, I once had an idea making fun of the old Superman/Flash foot races by having an Aquaman/Green Arrow foot race, which depends upon the conceit that Aquaman, despite his enhanced physical abilities doesn't actually run any faster than an athletic human, like Green Arrow for example.

I don't if any kind of silliness like that could ever get leveraged into an Aquaman/Green Arrow buddy relationship. I picked those two because of a weird silver-age crossover they had back in the day, where they traded the locales they protected.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatut Zeraze View Post
    Different eras of JL comics have occasionally tried to establish closer friendships for J'onn and Aquaman, but I don't think there has been enough consistency to really pin down anything as iconic enough to be considered canon. For example, that Aquaman/Wonder Woman friendship, has it been mentioned by more than one writer? I might be wrong, but I don't think so. Until an idea like this is carried across multiple writers, possibly across multiple reboots, I don't think any special friendships are really going to take root.
    ^^^i agree, and it’s why I asked. I was hoping I’d missed something!

Quote Originally Posted by Hatut Zeraze View Post
    On my personal list of DC ideas, I once had an idea making fun of the old Superman/Flash foot races by having an Aquaman/Green Arrow foot race, which depends upon the conceit that Aquaman, despite his enhanced physical abilities doesn't actually run any faster than an athletic human, like Green Arrow for example.

I don't if any kind of silliness like that could ever get leveraged into an Aquaman/Green Arrow buddy relationship. I picked those two because of a weird silver-age crossover they had back in the day, where they traded the locales they protected.
    ^^^thats Effing Hilarious!

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I don't think Aquaman does. Even in the New 52 he really didn't hang out or have close friendship dialogue with anyone in the big 7. He is close with Vixen though. I love this moment between them.

vixaQ.jpg

J'onn bounces around each character but I know him and Superman are really close. I think Clark buys Oreos just for him whenever he visits.

Just thinking about the other friendships in the League. Atom and Hawkman have been shown to be friendly outside the League in the past.
    Black Canary is pretty tight with Green Arrow, obviously, and has a good relationship with Roy.
    I kind of like Aquman being a little awkward with his early teammates and not really getting close until the Detroit team. But I'd also have his teammates not realize he feels alienated and like him more than he thinks they do.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I don't think Aquaman does. Even in the New 52 he really didn't hang out or have close friendship dialogue with anyone in the big 7. He is close with Vixen though. I love this moment between them.

vixaQ.jpg

J'onn bounces around each character but I know him and Superman are really close. I think Clark buys Oreos just for him whenever he visits.
    There was a lot of tension with Arthur and Bruce during the early New 52 run, but that was about it.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    There was a lot of tension with Arthur and Bruce during the early New 52 run, but that was about it.
    Yeah, I'm rereading New 52 JL now and Aquaman is always going on about being the leader.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post

vixaQ.jpg

Eh I don’t think that one scene between Vixen and Aquaman suggest a close friendship. She’s never even appeared in any of his comic to my knowledge Post-Flashpoint. I can’t even think of any appearances she’s made Pre-Flashpoint either.

In regards I think Aquaman has a close friendship with each of the member of the Trinity. It’s not referenced much but if you added a fourth person to the big three it would be either Robin or Aquaman making the Super Friends.

Post-Crisis Superman and Aquaman has a couple run ins, Superman bought a gift for Lois and went to Aquaman to get his opinion. Silver Age they new each other when they were kids Superboy and Aquaboy I believe. There was also that whole Superman/Aquaman cartoon.

Post-Flashpoint when Superman and Wonder Woman were dating they went to have dinner with Aquaman and Mera in Superman/Wonder Woman Annual 2

There was a party that happened in one of Aquaman’s recent annuals for Aquaman that Batman and Wonder Woman attended.

Aquaman knew who Damian was before he died, something that League members like Shazam and I think possibly Cyborg didn’t know.

Post-Crisis Aquaman talked to Batman about drinking they had a really funny moment together in one of the JLA Classified issues that dealt with politics of foreign nations.

Wonder Woman is typically the person Aquaman is paired off with and they knew each other when they were kids Post-Crisis. Whenever Diana is grieving Arthur has been there for her when he was in the same comic. Diana has also shared that same support for Arthur telling him that she has his back if he ever needs it like the Thule arc or Aquaman Annual 2 I believe.