Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Superman Fan Film

Hello Guys, I'm a South African graduate in Film and Animation and as the title of this thread points out. I'm planning on making an original animated Superman fan film. Like many of you, i'm saddened to see the lack of attention, good representation and respect given to Superman and id like to try and turn that around for the character. I'm already in the process of planning a Superman and Zootopia Crossover fanfic that I'm hoping to turn into a fan comic. But being a student in Animation, id like to do this aswell. My objective is to create a fan film that showcases the best and most appealing qualities about the character.

I'm thinking of going with something along the lines of All Star Superman, minus the spiral towards death aspect. The film would look into a day in the life of Clark kent as he juggles his work life with his responsibilities as superman. It would be set in either the post crisis or pre bendis dc rebirth timeline where Clark is married to lois and jon is around. Although, they may not appear in the short as I want to focus on Supes. There would be other characters that would appear in the film, some of my own creation. Alot of action, Drama, Comedy and emotional storytelling and 3d animated. So far I am only in the pre production planning stage of the project and doing it on my own with no idea of how long the film will be or when I will eventually complete the project. Plus, i'm still a very amateur fresh graduate, however i'm not letting that stop me.

Right now, id like to get some advice on the film. What ideas, elements and plot points I can incorporate, are there any comics i can read to get insight into and take inspiration from. Are there any underrated Superman villians or characters you'd like to recommend me to use. Id appreciate any and every piece of advice you guys can give as it would be very helpful.

Thankyou all for your time!
    Last edited by Dralokonda; 07-19-2020 at 11:20 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

If you are going for an all star approach. The power and wierd cosmic stuff should be a part of it. Superman is best when he is either he is goldenage self or as silverage self. Him leaping 1/8th a mile, lifting enormous weights, faster than a locomotive..etc fighting for the the little guy with a different attitude and conviction. Him being in the middle rarely works. Most of the time it comes of bland and boring. Superman running on electric cables is something i love.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 07-19-2020 at 11:04 AM.

If you could include Superman punching out robots and giant monsters that would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    If you could include Superman punching out robots and giant monsters that would be awesome.
    Yeah! Bring back the artic giant and have superman team up with iron giant. Have him in boxing match and a cosmic weight lifting match.

Sorry, what I meant was, the element in the all star comic where supes powers were elevated above normal as far as all star supes level is concerned, sorry for the confusion.

In this film, he will definately be really powerful, basically to the point he can destroy planets just by punching them and I can move at faster than light speed, but he will still have challenges and obstacles in his path. I'm not making him pre crisis level though as I prefer his current post crisis power level. Infact, one of my main goals to shatter the myth that superman needs to be nerfed in order to make his stories more compelling. I definately will have all the cosmic and sci fi elements in the film, just not the usual (new gods, brainiac, other kryptonians or doomsday).

That and taking out a fleet of alien warships in a very comedic way.

Id like Supes in the span of just one day to accomplish 12 amazing tasks while juggling them all with his personal life, any ideas?

Superman has to make someone with no sense of humour, laugh. He has to go to the underworld and bring back to life his pet sun eater that died. he learns of the iron giant being blown up.So, he has to rebuild him. Also, have him punch out both injusticeman and harley quinn for being a bully and annoying ass characters after which he winks at the camera. He has to give kite man, jon, kathy and damian flying lessons. He has mano e mano duel with goku-esque character in bout. Finally, he comes home to fight the artic giant

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Yeah! Bring back the artic giant and have superman team up with iron giant. Have him in boxing match and a cosmic weight lifting match.
    Artic Giant was exactly who I was thinking of actually! Although I was thinking of the more generic robots also from the serial, teaming up with the Iron Giant is definitely something you can do in a fan film that you can't see otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Dralokonda View Post
    Id like Supes in the span of just one day to accomplish 12 amazing tasks while juggling them all with his personal life, any ideas?
    Okay, so cosmic Superman, and twelve great feats. Very Herculean, I like it.

I assume taking out an alien fleet is one of the feats, so what else can the guy do?

Not to tell you your business, but I find it more impressive when Clark combines his intellect and mental capabilities with his raw physical might. It's more fun than just punching harder than the other guy. So thinks like multi-tasking, doing complex calculations in a fight, stuff like that.

A few suggestions might be:

Dealing with a hostile environment, like the heart of a star, nebula, center of a planet, or just surrounded by angry aliens/monsters, and trying to procure and then protect a delicate and rare substance he needs to create a solution to a "non-punchable" problem; like a cure for a disease or renewable green energy source.

Negotiating a peace treaty between two warring factions with wildly different ethics; perhaps one are pacifists while the others are tyrants or something. Make Superman punch the tyrants harder than they can punch back without losing the trust of the pacifists. Alternatively, doing the same thing between factions that don't even recognize each other; maybe there's a microscopic race living in a forest and Superman has to stop loggers from cutting the forest down and stop the microscopic race from infesting the loggers, or something along those lines.

And two things that you can never go wrong with in a Superman story; Clark connecting on a personal, emotional level with a child, and Superman in a no-holds barred fight against a superior foe.

On the Clark side of things....you could have him investigating some shady person/group like Intergang or whoever, get caught, shot in the shoulder, and Clark has to escape with the evidence while pretending he's hurt so he doesn't give his identity away.

You can also put him into an investigation where his powers aren't helpful; say there's a bombing but all the chemicals and other materials used are so common being able to detect them with his enhanced senses doesn't help solve the "who dunnit?" Like the bomb is made of common household chemicals; being able to see and smell them doesn't help him find out who did it or where they are.

Or someone has figured out that Clark is Superman, and Clark has to prove them wrong. Like Lois has figured it out and is close to proving it and Clark has to throw the evidence chain off so nobody will believe the claim.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I think animation would be perfect to explore the way he sees the world with his supervisions. Superman can see atoms, virus mutating on the air or in someone's bloodstream or spectrums of light that normal people can't or even things that we don't know exists.

So I think you would strike gold by doing a really crazy scene where the audience would see through Superman's eyes.

But the most important is for you to tell a great story featuring Superman, my main problem with how the character is treated is that DC and many creators appear to be only interested on him in a meta level, they want to tell stories about what Superman represent not about the character.

Exactly how long would such a fan film run for? I know that it's a lot of work just to make even a short animation.

I really have no idea how long it is going to be, or how long it is going to take to create, i'm still in the planning stages of the project.

Cool, thanks for the pointers

All excellent points, thankyou, any comics you can recommend that I can take inspiration from or any underated characters you'd like me to feature, or suggestions for original characters?