Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you think of Spider-Man Unlimited cartoon?

What do you think of it?

The first time I watched as a kid is when the reruns aired on Toon Disney. I was put off by it. I hated the suit, the counter-earth setting, and that Spider-Man was fighting all of those animal/human hybrids.

Now, I actually like the series and the Spider-Man Unlimited suit. The flashbacks to Mary Jane were sweet and I liked how when Peter spent time with that woman and her child on counter-earth (I don't remember their names) it made him think about himself and Mary Jane having a child. The animation was also an improvement over the 94' series.

Rino Ramono and Brian Drummond were perfectly casted as Peter and Eddie, I usually read the 90s era comics with their voices in mind.

The only thing I didn't understand and still don't is the Synoptic. Is it a symbiote or an entirely different creature? I've seen different wikis, including the main Marvel one, stating at different times that it is a symbiote and sometimes that it isn't.

Context: I was 5 in 2000 and had an Unlimited T-shirt and I just loved Spider-Man, didn't know what was what but I loved Spider-Man. It wouldn't be until around maybe 2007/8 I actually saw any of the show because reruns finally started being played on Toon Disney but I kinda hated it on principle that it wasn't classic Spider-Man and everybody said it was bad online cause it was different... but honestly I've grown to really appreciate this show. It's not perfect but I admire the heck out of the fact that they had to make a Spider-Man show yet couldn't basically make a Spider-Man show; they had a few pieces to work with and came up with something super bonkers and different. I think in general the pacing isn't the strongest point of many episodes but what carries it along is a good understanding of Peter's character. The music, comic book inspired art direction, and the Unlimited costume are all highlights.

It's very much taking Peter Parker and throwing him into the wildest sci-fi setting you can imagine and how can I not love that? Some of the villain reimaginings aren't good like Kraven but the heroic Goblin conversely is a great change of pace.

I think the show would be looked upon more fondly if it was able to finish its story, it's unfortunate that it didn't because otherwise people just look at it as a weird blip, if they even remember it. There are scripts and outlines for the rest of what would have happened and it all sounds like juicy stories.

https://tvwriter.com/animation/anima...nd-season-arc/

Spider-Man Unlimited- not a perfect show but it's entertaining, tried to take some big chances and I admire the hell out of it for that.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    Context: I was 5 in 2000 and had an Unlimited T-shirt and I just loved Spider-Man, didn't know what was what but I loved Spider-Man. It wouldn't be until around maybe 2007/8 I actually saw any of the show because reruns finally started being played on Toon Disney but I kinda hated it on principle that it wasn't classic Spider-Man and everybody said it was bad online cause it was different... but honestly I've grown to really appreciate this show. It's not perfect but I admire the heck out of the fact that they had to make a Spider-Man show yet couldn't basically make a Spider-Man show; they had a few pieces to work with and came up with something super bonkers and different. I think in general the pacing isn't the strongest point of many episodes but what carries it along is a good understanding of Peter's character. The music, comic book inspired art direction, and the Unlimited costume are all highlights.

It's very much taking Peter Parker and throwing him into the wildest sci-fi setting you can imagine and how can I not love that? Some of the villain reimaginings aren't good like Kraven but the heroic Goblin conversely is a great change of pace.

I think the show would be looked upon more fondly if it was able to finish its story, it's unfortunate that it didn't because otherwise people just look at it as a weird blip, if they even remember it. There are scripts and outlines for the rest of what would have happened and it all sounds like juicy stories.

https://tvwriter.com/animation/anima...nd-season-arc/

Spider-Man Unlimited- not a perfect show but it's entertaining, tried to take some big chances and I admire the hell out of it for that.
    Agreed. Just read that link you put up, and those stories would have been so awesome to see fully animated and voiced.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

good premise
    not good
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I'm glad Rino Romano got to have the Playstation Spider-Man games to balance out how controversial Unlimited was. I guess he was the first Spider-Man VA to also voice the Goblin before Josh Keaton.

Astonishing Member

The execution could have been better but it's not terrible. It even does some stuff well that the comics usually don't, such as Spider-Man feeling like an actual revolutionary icon and working in a team while still having independence.

It had a good theme tune, but the show itself was just a poor attempt to copy Batman Beyond. It was even meant to be Spider-Man 2099 originally but I think the network thought that was TOO like Beyond and insisted on it being Peter.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It had a good theme tune, but the show itself was just a poor attempt to copy Batman Beyond. It was even meant to be Spider-Man 2099 originally but I think the network thought that was TOO like Beyond and insisted on it being Peter.
    Funny enough, Spider-Man 2099 came first by six or seven years, but since Batman Beyond was animated first . . .

The original concept was they were just going to be doing a relatively low-budget adaptation of early Lee/Ditko Spidey comics (imagine just the show's art direction but with classic Spidey stories) which would have been great, but then Sony got the movie going and the animation rights along with it yet there was already this separate show that was contracted to be made yet now they couldn't do classic Spidey.

Apparently the 2099 concept was thrown around for about a week at most, Marvel wanted a show about Peter Parker. At some point they were given concepts like counter earth, the High Evolutionary, the Knights of Wundagore, Venom, from Marvel as things they wanted them to use. So then their concept was to do a show where basically the concept was the same as what we got except for a major conceit, Peter's main conflict would be against the counter-earth version of himself. Uncle Ben never died so he never learned the lesson about power and responsibility to the counter earth version of Peter would have become Venom and the whole thing would have been an exploration of what makes Peter Spider-Man. Marvel vetoed that concept because they were afraid after the Clone Saga finally ended just a few years before that people couldn't deal with more than one Spider-Man. Funny thought right there! Anyway after that it had to be adjusted again to what became the final concept.
    Last edited by Spidey_62; 07-20-2020 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    The original concept was they were just going to be doing a relatively low-budget adaptation of early Lee/Ditko Spidey comics (imagine just the show's art direction but with classic Spidey stories) which would have been great, but then Sony got the movie going and the animation rights along with it yet there was already this separate show that was contracted to be made yet now they couldn't do classic Spidey.

Apparently the 2099 concept was thrown around for about a week at most, Marvel wanted a show about Peter Parker. At some point they were given concepts like counter earth, the High Evolutionary, the Knights of Wundagore, Venom, from Marvel as things they wanted them to use. So then their concept was to do a show where basically the concept was the same as what we got except for a major conceit, Peter's main conflict would be against the counter-earth version of himself. Uncle Ben never died so he never learned the lesson about power and responsibility to the counter earth version of Peter would have become Venom and the whole thing would have been an exploration of what makes Peter Spider-Man. Marvel vetoed that concept because they were afraid after the Clone Saga finally ended just a few years before that people couldn't deal with more than one Spider-Man. Funny thought right there! Anyway after that it had to be adjusted again to what became the final concept.
    Ah, that's good to know. And technically, the last animated series ended with a similar plot of Spider-Man fighting an alternate symbiote-possessed version of himself, which in retrospect was (to me) a great treatise on what made Peter who he was, so I could understand Marvel not wanting to retread that.

I remember liking it as a kid and maybe the execution could have been better. It would have been nice to see it completed rather than cancelled.

I enjoyed it as a kid but it didn't stick with me like other cartoons. Maybe it should've been a Ben Reilly cartoon or a Miguel O'Hara cartoon like they originally intended.

Extraordinary Member

I remember thinking of all the concepts they’re gonna base Spider-man around the High Evolutionary?

I was in the military by then and not working cartoons. But I remember Batman Beyond was thought to be much much better.

Astonishing Member

I'm disappointed that it didn't get a second season to at least wrap up the Synoptic storyline.