Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dynamite

Default Dynamite

What do you guys think about this whole comicgate cover situation?

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dyna...ate-alliances/

They would later stop this

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dyna...ator-backlash/

Their own crowdfund is harmed for this, Miss Fury

Dynamite had been cozying up with CG for about a year now, so I dunno why THIS was the straw that broke the camel's back. But it did and now Dynamite has pissed off both factions of the culture war by trying to play to the middle. Meanwhile, I don't know if I will keep reading their books.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

Overall I hope this isn't the end. But Dc has had major backlash and reminds fine. So I hope the same is said for Dynamite

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Overall I hope this isn't the end. But Dc has had major backlash and reminds fine. So I hope the same is said for Dynamite
    DC and Marvel also has corporate backing, which nobody else (save maybe Valiant) can claim. Dynamite isn't an IP farm, so they live and die by comic sales.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

You know, I had missed that they were getting in bed with that movement. I'm a lifelong Red Sonja fan so I've been buying those when I like the teams, but knowing this, well I'm glad most of the stuff I was reading is winding down. I'm pretty much just going to buy what my LCS has already paid and pulled for me (otherwise I'm hurting them, not Dynamite) and I'll probably cease purchases from them until they cut all ties with that movement. Honestly, I don't think Barrucci is going to be able to run the company anymore given how EVS and him are close, personal friends and seemingly he enables CG through him and his friends.

He founded the company, though, so we'll see. All it really takes is one of their big three licenses (The Boys, Vampirella or Red Sonja) to walk away and they'll probably cave. I'm almost certain Marvel would snatch up Sonja if given the chance now that they have Conan again.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    DC has Batman and Superman.

Also those two don't have issues getting books ordered by stores.

Dynamite's highest ordered book before the pandemic was Red Sonja at 18K.

Also some stores have already stated they are not supporting Dynamite and they got attacked by gators with bad reviews on sites like Yelp. One store was stated as closed.

Another guy who was upset about this saw his Twitter DMs FLOODED by gators (who admitted they were creating accounts to troll him).

I don't think they are going to recover.

Because you got creators leaving them and don't think those owners of those licenses aren't paying attention.

You know Marvel wants Red Sonja. I am sure Dark Horse would love James Bond and Vampi. Elvira, Bettie Page and Barbarella can find a home at Ahoy or Omni or Scout.

But marvel still has issues with their other comics. Marvel had backlash with New warriors. Even if they get it I don’t think they want her that bad.

Extraordinary Member

No one is going to care in a week and don't look for heroes in this spat. Two recent villains were heroes to the enlightened crowd not to long ago. They will all disappoint you at some point if you hinge your comic book enjoyment on what the creators do in their personal lives.

I only recently realised what was happening, and it's enough for me to stop buying James Bond comics, which is a shame because I love them and want to support the creators involved. However, I do not feel comfortable supporting Dynamite right now. I was even more annoyed when they finally addressed it, but only one tiny part of it. It shows a lack of responsibility to me. That being said, I'm not a fan of cancelling permanently (with exceptions, Gerard Jones for example) so if in the future I feel that they are showing a better example, I would reconsider. I don't see that happening though, given their response.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    No one is going to care in a week and don't look for heroes in this spat. Two recent villains were heroes to the enlightened crowd not to long ago. They will all disappoint you at some point if you hinge your comic book enjoyment on what the creators do in their personal lives.
    This. It's going to be difficult for another company besides Marvel or DC to just waltz in and scoop up licenses from Dynamite. All the other Indy companies are in just as dire straights.

I also find the so called "talent exodus" equally amusing, as if Dynamite can't find another artist to draw covers for a chick in a steel bikini...and I guess a writer as well lol. The only real talent at Dynamite is Priest and Gail, did you see either of them quit there jobs? What about the creative team on James Bond? Surely they will quit their jobs? Nahhhhhh

As for the people refusing to work at Dynamite? If you were a creator with the kind of pull to decide where to go....why would you ever work for Dynamite in the first place? It's such a hollow threat. Understand that someone will be more than happy/desperate enough to take your place.

Also Dynamite didn't even bother to apologize. Nor did they condemn anyone. Nor did they cancel any future projects with the gators or stop any in development.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

True most comic things just are forgotten. And to think about it. Most comic stores that say they aren’t going to take Dynamite comics are just small comic stores. Nothing large.

The CG boycotts haven't really affected anyone at all. It's made a handful of "charismatic" leaders in the group rich, but they haven't had the effect on the culture on industry that they thought they would. Now a boycott from creative talent is a much bigger issue.

Quote Originally Posted by armlessphelan View Post
    The CG boycotts haven't really affected anyone at all. It's made a handful of "charismatic" leaders in the group rich, but they haven't had the effect on the culture on industry that they thought they would. Now a boycott from creative talent is a much bigger issue.
    What creative talent? I don't think Dynamite will have trouble finding another artist to draw covers for a chick in a steel bikini...and I guess a writer as well lol. The only real talent at Dynamite is Priest and Gail Simone, did you see either of them quit their jobs? What about the creative team on James Bond? Surely Vita Ayala and Danny Lore will quit their jobs? Nahhhhhh

This is really amusing because...
    1. The most replaceable people at Dynamite were the only ones that quit
    2. Gail Simone claims to care but there is no way she is quitting a job in a post Covid-19 comic industry lol.
    3. Dynamite did the math and knows that the cash coming in from the gators is too good to give up which is why they are refusing to denounce anyone.
    4. Vita Ayala is still trying to make people forget that botched Children Of The Atom trailer. Now is not the time to quit a job, especially in a Post Covid-19 comic industry.
    5. When all the shops finally return there is going to be a heck of a lot less of them.

Welcome to the new normal. As the industry grows more desperate expect to see more crazy turf wars.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 07-20-2020 at 08:21 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Mark Russell has been doing excellent work on Red Sonja, so he is certainly a loss for them. He's a solid writer and deserves some more higher profile books.

I'd be glad if the big two scooped him up for something more significant. He has the chops for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Mark Russell has been doing excellent work on Red Sonja, so he is certainly a loss for them. He's a solid writer and deserves some more higher profile books.

I'd be glad if the big two scooped him up for something more significant. He has the chops for it.
    No, he isn't a loss. He works on a TnA character. Why do you think they have been able to make so many variant covers. Dynamite knows it's audience. Priest is a great writer but you notice that Vampirella's costume didn't change either right? Now if he can bring something extra to the table more power to him. But it's just something extra.

In order to be a loss you have to be more than "solid".

Marvel still isn't at full strength. DC is the opposite, they were never pencils down. He could always try to crowd fund his own comic. So I guess he could go to Kickstarter. I'm sure all the people on Twitter that cheered him on will be there for him because Twitter is totally reflective of reality and is in no way an echo chamber detached from it. Or he can try his luck at the other Indy companies treading water.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 07-20-2020 at 09:40 PM.