Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dynamite

It will be a combination of creators leaving and fans stopping buying. They could also lose some of their licenses. Will that be enough to put them under in a business with very low margins?
    We will have to wait and see. I for one will not be buying any of their books again.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It will be a combination of creators leaving and fans stopping buying. They could also lose some of their licenses. Will that be enough to put them under in a business with very low margins?
    We will have to wait and see. I for one will not be buying any of their books again.
    Again I ask, what creators actually left lol? What fans are going to stop buying? Have you seen the books they put out? The fans have known that Dynamite has been doing business with these people for quite some time, and people swearing on the internet that they will never buy something again isn't very menacing.

If Marvel and DC wants the licenses Dynamite will not be able to stop them. Other than those two, who else is in good enough shape to grab them? All the other comic companies not named Marvel or DC are treading water and hoping that a movie will bail them out.

Ask Valiant how the Hollywood stuff is working out. Did you see Bloodshot? Did anyone? Last I heard they were begging people to notice them https://www.cbr.com/valiant-superher...rtin-scorsese/

Ask IDW how they are doing after losing tons of cash and having all their Netflix shows canned https://deadline.com/2020/03/v-wars-...on-1202896015/

Is Lion Forge comics even around anymore?

Dark Horse just lost a ton of stuff to Marvel, are they in any condition to make a play?

Welcome to the post Covid-19 comic industry...
    Last edited by Anthony W; 07-21-2020 at 10:29 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    True most comic things just are forgotten. And to think about it. Most comic stores that say they aren’t going to take Dynamite comics are just small comic stores. Nothing large.
    How many books did that small store order?

Big comic store orders 3 copies or Red Sonja.
    Small store orders 10 copies because they actually sellout.

That is a difference in the long run.

As for talent not leaving-as some have said they are not going to jump ship and screw over other team members. So they are going to honor that contract on that book. And some are waiting till licenses expire before moving on.

The CG boycotts haven't really affected anyone at all. It's made a handful of "charismatic" leaders in the group rich, but they haven't had the effect on the culture on industry that they thought they would. Now a boycott from creative talent is a much bigger issue.
    What many of them and the doomsayers (who seem to want the industry destroyed anyway) forget about something.

FREE MARKET. Funny all books and talent they bash are finding audiences OUTSIDE the direct market.

Also when your boycott is of hate and gate keeping-you get ignored.
    If they stuck to the issues and provide EXAMPLES and left folks alone-no one would care.

Badly edited books-funny all the badly edited books I have found (including at Dynamite) don't have women editors.
    If we are going to talk about resumes-it should apply to EVERYONE. Priest and McDuffie had resumes. Yet how many time were they passed over?
    If we are going to talk about quality of books-it should apply to EVERYONE. If one is to throw fits about Vita's writing-there needs to be BIGGER fits about some of these guys who have butchered books yet KEEP getting work.
    If we are going to talk about politics. A Moon Girl book is not political. The CRAP done to Wally West and so many others & employing certain folks who made work environments toxic is.
    If we want better talent-EVERYONE needs to give them a chance to prove themselves instead of throwing fits before the first issue.

Because in all reality-they have helped more folks get noticed. Because they are putting more attention to something that they HATE.

Patrick Kindlon made that point in his own comic. How many better books have been ignored because fits were being tossed over other books. Not by those who read them but by others who haven't touched a comic since 1996.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    No, he isn't a loss. He works on a TnA character. Why do you think they have been able to make so many variant covers. Dynamite knows it's audience. Priest is a great writer but you notice that Vampirella's costume didn't change either right? Now if he can bring something extra to the table more power to him. But it's just something extra.

In order to be a loss you have to be more than "solid".

Marvel still isn't at full strength. DC is the opposite, they were never pencils down. He could always try to crowd fund his own comic. So I guess he could go to Kickstarter. I'm sure all the people on Twitter that cheered him on will be there for him because Twitter is totally reflective of reality and is in no way an echo chamber detached from it. Or he can try his luck at the other Indy companies treading water.
    "Look, Russell on Red Sonja? TnA book that they publish with a ton of sexy covers. Now Vampirella..."

Okay, bud. Priest is great but let's not pretend both characters don't have tons of variants built on sex appeal about women in revealing clothing.

If you're going to use that as a way to attack the Red Sonja book, don't prop up Vampirella which does the exact same thing as if it's not.

Russell hasn't been treating her as anything but a leadership figure, and he certainly brings more to the character, but you clearly don't read the book with how dismissive you've been. Moreover, those are their two premier characters as far as I can tell and any writer who can bring a good story to keep people beyond pinup covers would be worth their weight in gold at a small publishing house.
    Last edited by Robanker; 07-21-2020 at 12:24 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    "Look, Russell on Red Sonja? TnA book that they publish with a ton of sexy covers. Now Vampirella..."

Okay, bud. Priest is great but let's not pretend both characters don't have tons of variants built on sex appeal about women in revealing clothing.

If you're going to use that as a way to attack the Red Sonja book, don't prop up Vampirella which does the exact same thing as if it's not.

Russell hasn't been treating her as anything but a leadership figure, and he certainly brings more to the character, but you clearly don't read the book with how dismissive you've been.
    I read the book. Past tense. Also, you misread that post, Anthony says Vampirella is relying on the sexiness, hence them keeping the costume. In fact, it seems to me that the main covers have gotten a bit more sexy recently.

Anyway, back to the book. Russell did a good job on it. I am not going to bother to critique his run, and this is not a jab, but the next person who comes in will bring some other spin with them and whether it is good or not will not be judged against what Russell did by any means.

Again I ask, what creators actually left lol? What fans are going to stop buying? Have you seen the books they put out? The fans have known that Dynamite has been doing business with these people for quite some time, and people swearing on the internet that they will never buy something again isn't very menacing.

If Marvel and DC wants the licenses Dynamite will not be able to stop them. Other than those two, who else is in good enough shape to grab them? All the other comic companies not named Marvel or DC are treading water and hoping that a movie will bail them out.

Ask Valiant how the Hollywood stuff is working out. Did you see Bloodshot? Did anyone? Last I heard they were begging people to notice them https://www.cbr.com/valiant-superher...rtin-scorsese/

Ask IDW how they are doing after losing tons of cash and having all their Netflix shows canned https://deadline.com/2020/03/v-wars-...on-1202896015/

Is Lion Forge comics even around anymore?

Dark Horse just lost a ton of stuff to Marvel, are they in any condition to make a play?

Welcome to the post Covid-19 comic industry...
    As I said, we shall see. You are convinced that this is no big deal, that people will ignore it and Dynamite will continue as usual. That the owners of the licenses might not want to be associated with this company. I am not so sure, but I don't have the absolute pure prescience you apparently do.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I didn't. I put Priest in that same category, you just misread my post. Check out my quote "Priest is a great writer but you notice that Vampirella's costume didn't change either right?"

Russell hasn't been treating her as anything but a leadership figure, and he certainly brings more to the character, but you clearly don't read the book with how dismissive you've been. Moreover, those are their two premier characters as far as I can tell and any writer who can bring a good story to keep people beyond pinup covers would be worth their weight in gold at a small publishing house.
    Like I said in my earlier post whatever they bring is "extra". Dynamite knows it's audience. They probably know that if you made a Venn diagram of gators and their current audience their would be a lot of overlap. That is what probably what led to them cutting so many deals with them in the first place.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Like I said in my earlier post whatever they bring is "extra". Dynamite knows it's audience. They probably know that if you made a Venn diagram of gators and their current audience their would be a lot of overlap. That is what probably what led to them cutting so many deals with them in the first place.
    All the more reason for me to never buy their books again.

We don't discuss CG or related matters on the CBR Forums. We will not give that hate group any sort of platform.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules