Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

So this is not taking place in the main continuity. Marvel should start doing this more, have 3 events in the 616 1 big crossing into as many corners as it can, and 2 crossover that affects only one corner or a a couple but will only have 2-4 books/tie-ins. Then the rest go Mutiverse, and let the writers go beyond nuts, and thus no ones books will also be interupted.

Interesting enough of an idea as well, seeing how some will really thrive in this, while others need to start from scratch.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cataphract View Post
    Unmaker looks like if Legion from ME and a Tau Battlesuit had a baby.
    I mean earth did go through a dark age basically before the great crusade began.

Astonishing Member

Unmaker looks like giant mech Maker.

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Thanks for sharing this. I'm hyped for Dark Ages. It looks like Tony is going to be a big part of it.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

BANNED

Meh don't really care about non-canon stuff. I mean i already know whats gonna happen, everyone is gonna die but none of it matters since it's not 616, the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    Meh don't really care about non-canon stuff. I mean i already know whats gonna happen, everyone is gonna die but none of it matters since it's not 616, the end.
    It is fascinating to me as a DC guy how your attitude is pretty much how most Marvel fans feel, while DC fans typically love these kinds of alternate reality stories.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It is fascinating to me as a DC guy how your attitude is pretty much how most Marvel fans feel, while DC fans typically love these kinds of alternate reality stories.
    I love these but only if characters I care are a big part of it.DC always has the trinity and other iconic ones as big parts, marvel can mess that up.
    This has Spider-man as the main guy from what I can tell so I love it(specially since he even has a kid), any fans of, Sue , Laura, Tony and Miles should be excited as well

This may not relate yet, but I noticed in SWORD #6 that Cap mentioned to Dr Doom, that after Cap was rescued from the ice, Iron Man showed Steve a newsreel about Man landing on the moon. That did not happen in Avengers #4 because that was in 1963 not post 1969, like Armstrong’s landing. This tells me that the Earth after Secret Wars is not the same Earth as Prime Earth pre-SW’s. It is possible, whatever Reed Richards did in ANAD made all the continuity errors go away about why superheroes don’t age. It could also be saying that the Earth of ANAD is not Earth-616 either. It may be an alternative universe Earth. This is why maybe Dark Ages Earth is a complimentary alternative Earth in a coming Event that shows ANAD is not what the humans think it is. Especially when Jason Aaron’s 1 Million Years Avengers don’t exist in Earth-616.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    As Spiderfan001 said i could care about non-canon stuff but for me it not only has to have characters i care about in it but it has to be centered around them, this kinda centers on the whole Marvel Universe so it's gonna shove in as many character as it can and kill them off for cheap emotional pay offs without properly developing anything, apart from Spiderman, since it's Tom Taylor after all.

But yea these are one of those things you read as a trade or second hand, not really something you should encourage Marvel to do, we already have too many canon events, we don't need non-canon ones thrown at us as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    This may not relate yet, but I noticed in SWORD #6 that Cap mentioned to Dr Doom, that after Cap was rescued from the ice, Iron Man showed Steve a newsreel about Man landing on the moon. That did not happen in Avengers #4 because that was in 1963 not post 1969, like Armstrong’s landing. This tells me that the Earth after Secret Wars is not the same Earth as Prime Earth pre-SW’s. It is possible, whatever Reed Richards did in ANAD made all the continuity errors go away about why superheroes don’t age. It could also be saying that the Earth of ANAD is not Earth-616 either. It may be an alternative universe Earth. This is why maybe Dark Ages Earth is a complimentary alternative Earth in a coming Event that shows ANAD is not what the humans think it is. Especially when Jason Aaron’s 1 Million Years Avengers don’t exist in Earth-616.
    lol, if Avengers #4 still took place in 1963, then Iron Man would now be about 80 years old - he's probably about half that. Comic book time is a sliding timescale, it doesn't match real world time. So even before Secret Wars, Avengers #4 took place in the 2000s - events back then are around 15 years ago.

Incidentally, this is completely irrelevant to Dark Ages, which seems to be set in a world where One More Day never happened (as Peter and MJ are married with a daughter), where the X-Men never colonised Krakoa, and where the modern kid heroes exist (Moon Girl is in the issue 1 preview) - maybe the ANAD period if Civil War never happened (since that's when Peter revealed his secret identity, which One More Day undid)?
    Last edited by Digifiend; 08-29-2021 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Added link to preview
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

Interesting thread. Gonna ask my question (the reason I was going to post), then answer a few things.

-any word on if the zero issue (from Free Comic Day 2020) is being re-issued? (I tossed my copy in late 2020, assuming that "Dark Ages" was never happening.)

lol, if Avengers #4 still took place in 1963, then Iron Man would now be about 80 years old - he's probably about half that. Comic book time is a sliding timescale, it doesn't match real world time. So even before Secret Wars, Avengers #4 took place in the 2000s - events back then are around 15 years ago.
    Exactly. Marvel barely even cares about being consistent for more than ~5 years at a time. At this point, the problem is fans who spend more time worrying about if/how something "fits" than if it is actually good.

Incidentally, this is completely irrelevant to Dark Ages, which seems to be set in a world where One More Day never happened (as Peter and MJ are married with a daughter), where the X-Men never colonised Krakoa, and where the modern kid heroes exist (Moon Girl is in the issue 1 preview) - maybe the ANAD period if Civil War never happened (since that's when Peter revealed his secret identity, which One More Day undid)?
    Taylor's method for disaster stories is to start from something generally recognizable, but not with any specific references, and keeping the starting point recognizable regardless of how many apple-carts are tipped over. His stuff ages pretty well because of this.

For his "Injustice" (which lasted ~8 years), the starting point was "DC circa 2009". Even characters that had been changed were recognizable as having started as a recognizable variant of those characters. (Taylor's handling of the Kents and Alfred is some of the best use of those characters I have seen.) From what I saw, he did similarly with "DCeased".

In this case, he starting with a generalized Marvel. More people recognize MJ as Peter Parker's wife than otherwise, so they are married. (I assume the kid is set-up for later pay-off.) The new kid heroes have all been around for 5+ years, meaning that they they have "always been there". Krakoa is temporary and sort of boutique, meaning that it is probably not going to be referenced.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

As Spiderfan001 said i could care about non-canon stuff but for me it not only has to have characters i care about in it but it has to be centered around them, this kinda centers on the whole Marvel Universe so it's gonna shove in as many character as it can and kill them off for cheap emotional pay offs without properly developing anything, apart from Spiderman, since it's Tom Taylor after all.

But yea these are one of those things you read as a trade or second hand, not really something you should encourage Marvel to do, we already have too many canon events, we don't need non-canon ones thrown at us as well.
    Lmao we must be siblings because we’re of one mind. Definitely agree with your assessment 100%

simply no? Taylor is pretty good on Aus and actually develop characters

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I love these but only if characters I care are a big part of it.DC always has the trinity and other iconic ones as big parts, marvel can mess that up.
    This has Spider-man as the main guy from what I can tell so I love it(specially since he even has a kid), any fans of, Sue , Laura, Tony and Miles should be excited as well
    I like that too. It has to have characters I love in it and I’m so hyped for this one because like you stated Tony Stark is going to be a big part of this story. I’ve been been looking forward to this since the preview in the FCBD issue.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark