Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Lmao we must be siblings because we’re of one mind. Definitely agree with your assessment 100%
    Yea i read enough of Taylor stuff to see the formula on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Writerblog View Post
    simply no? Taylor is pretty good on Aus and actually develop characters
    We will have to agree to disagree on that.

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    Interesting thread. Gonna ask my question (the reason I was going to post), then answer a few things.

-any word on if the zero issue (from Free Comic Day 2020) is being re-issued? (I tossed my copy in late 2020, assuming that "Dark Ages" was never happening.)
    With over a year having passed you'd think it would be reprinted as the beginning of issue 1. They did that with the X-Men story, which was a prelude to X of Swords.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

If worse comes to worse, I can wait for the compilation. (On the other hand, I do not mind supporting Taylor. If this is good, I might just buy the singles, and give them to somebody when the compilation ships.)

simply no? Taylor is pretty good on Aus and actually develop characters
    It is less that Taylor develops characters than it is that he uses them as they are. He does not write "radical re-interpretations" for the Tumblr set. The changes he makes are economical, with the characters adapting to the (often dystopian) settings. The fact he keeps them recognizable is why his stuff works. (Look at any of the "Injustice" annuals. The fact they were published in an editorial vacuum meant that he could largely avoid DC's editorial syphilis over the last decade or so. He did not have to give a damn about what "counted", and could focus on what people actually remembered.)

I am looking forward to what he can do with Marvel.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

BANNED

If worse comes to worse, I can wait for the compilation. (On the other hand, I do not mind supporting Taylor. If this is good, I might just buy the singles, and give them to somebody when the compilation ships.)

It is less that Taylor develops characters than it is that he uses them as they are. He does not write "radical re-interpretations" for the Tumblr set. The changes he makes are economical, with the characters adapting to the (often dystopian) settings. The fact he keeps them recognizable is why his stuff works. (Look at any of the "Injustice" annuals. The fact they were published in an editorial vacuum meant that he could largely avoid DC's editorial syphilis over the last decade or so. He did not have to give a damn about what "counted", and could focus on what people actually remembered.)

The Injustice Annual with Plastic Man was one of the most comics I read last decade and probably the most interesting thing done with Plas in a long time.

And good call characterising DC's "editorial syphillis", great gag that.

Personally I just want Moon girl and Devil Dinosaur to survive the first issue and be a part of this series....mostly because it would be pretty awesome to see an apocalyptic world someone running around with a freaking t-Rex.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Have you not seen how he writes Wonder Woman?

As far as recognizability, I think it more depends on the characters and which ones he cares about the most.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Personally I just want Moon girl and Devil Dinosaur to survive the first issue and be a part of this series....mostly because it would be pretty awesome to see an apocalyptic world someone running around with a freaking t-Rex.
    Speaking of which - they got their book back!
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...21-2022-reveal
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Have you not seen how he writes Wonder Woman?

As far as recognizability, I think it more depends on the characters and which ones he cares about the most.
    Yea, his Immortal Hulk one-shot was a pretty big swing and a miss when it comes to Banner/Hulk.

Mighty Member

I did not read (or even know about) the "Immortal Hulk" one-shot. (Gonna need to pick that one up tomorrow.)

Taylor writes Wonder Woman as a god. She does not identify with people as equals to be respected, but as charges to be cared for. That is not too much of a stretch, all things considered.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle

Taylor writes Wonder Woman as a god. She does not identify with people as equals to be respected, but as charges to be cared for. That is not too much of a stretch, all things considered.
    I think it is because what defines Wonder Woman is her humanity. She wasn't raised by gods on Olympus but by the Amazons on Themyscira.

Yeah, Diana even being a goddess is a retcon. She's Zeus's daughter, but that wasn't originally the case (before Flashpoint, Cassie Sandsmark, Wonder Girl, was Zeus's kid - she was changed to being his granddaughter).

Mighty Member

The more back-writes that a character has, the harder it is to say what is the "right" iteration. Wonder Woman has always had some connection to Greek bawdy gawds.

[QUOTE] The Injustice Annual with Plastic Man was one of the most comics I read last decade and probably the most interesting thing done with Plas in a long time. [QUOTE]

Yup. Or, the series' depiction of Alfred.

You know I have a question about that last page spread

spoilers:
    Is that She-Hulk or Amadeus Cho? At first I thought it was Jennifer because of the color scheme but then I realized that Taylor had used the Totally Awesome Hulk in this story and that it could be him with longer hair.
    end of spoilers
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I think Spider-man is the lead for this.
    He has a kid I think and in either case he is the best choice for character driven story.
    Looks like he'll be sharing the spotlight with Miles having a prominent role too.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Looks like he'll be sharing the spotlight with Miles having a prominent role too.
    Miles, Iron man, reed and the hulk person are spoilers:
    horsemen of apocalypse
    end of spoilers.And I love it.
    Seeing them in that role is great and we already have seen peter in it.Moreover it means the good guy spotlight is on Spider-man and Sue.

Seeing peter in a prominent leading role is a natural progression and I hope more AU's and even 616 adapt it.Miles is a new character compared to him so I'm glad he is a part of this, most new ones aren't in stuff like this but Peter deserves the leader spotlight.