Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default "Invincible" Animated Series From Amazon

It’s been a hot minute since we’ve heard much of anything about Amazon’s animated adaptation of Invincible, the Robert Kirkman comic. But it looks like it’s still on the way, and it’s got some new names attached, to boot.

Yesterday, it was announced that two new names would be joining the star-studded voice cast leading the project. Via the Hollywood Reporter, Zachary Quinto (Heroes, NOS4A2) and Khary Payton (The Walking Dead, Teen Titans) will be joining a cast that already includes names like Zazie Beetz, Walton Goggins, Mark Hamill, and Sandra Oh.

According to THR, Quinto will be lending his voice to Robot, one of the protagonist’s key allies in the book, while Payton will play the superhero Black Samson. Both are fantastic voices, Payton being a veteran voice actor and Quinto bringing an eccentric character actor energy to just about everything he works on.
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/zachary-quin...voi-1844433910

Astonishing Member

That’s a pretty impressive cast, and that alone is enough for me to watch.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Astonishing Member

I don't know that I buy J.K Simmons as Invincible's dad.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    He's not who I would have thought of first either, but I think it might work if he doesn't go full-blown bombastic like he does for J Jonah Jameson.

I'm super hyped for this. Invincible was the best gods damn comic there was, and the cast looks fantastic. I mean, Seth Rogan as Allan the Alien? I was sold right there.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

That voice cast is pretty hype .

I wonder if they're race-bending Amber with Zazie Beetz playing her. They don't necessarily have to, what with it being voice acting and all, just something that struck me with the casting.

I wonder if Quinto will just voice Robot in his Robot form depending on how they handle a certain plot point regarding him later in the comic.
    Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    He's not who I would have thought of first either, but I think it might work if he doesn't go full-blown bombastic like he does for J Jonah Jameson.

I'm super hyped for this. Invincible was the best gods damn comic there was, and the cast looks fantastic. I mean, Seth Rogan as Allan the Alien? I was sold right there.
    JK is almost as prolific an actor as he is a voice actor. I can see him playing Nolan like he did Klaus with a dash of White Knight from Generator Rex.

I'm gonna guess that, even if the original plan wasn't to race bend Amber, it'll be done now.

As for Robot.....I'd assume Quinto will voice Robot, in all his versions, but they'll run his voice through a synthesizer for robot Robot.

And I have no idea what Generator Rex is. Show? Video game? And....Klaus? Not Morrison's BOOM Studios Klaus is it? Can't be; if that got a cartoon I'd have heard of it. Right?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I'm gonna guess that, even if the original plan wasn't to race bend Amber, it'll be done now.
    I mean, I don't think it's definite, but I guess it's possible since they cast a black actress.
    As for Robot.....I'd assume Quinto will voice Robot, in all his versions, but they'll run his voice through a synthesizer for robot Robot.
    spoilers:
    I'm just wondering what they'll do when he clones a kid body for himself using Rex's genes.
    end of spoilers
    And I have no idea what Generator Rex is. Show? Video game? And....Klaus? Not Morrison's BOOM Studios Klaus is it? Can't be; if that got a cartoon I'd have heard of it. Right?
    Generator Rex is a Man of Action cartoon that used to air on Cartoon Network.

Klaus was a animated Christmas film on Netflix. Has nothing to do with Morrison's book.

Man I am SO f**king hyped for this cartoon!

Between Invincible and the Wheel of Time adaptation, I'm finally gonna use that Amazon Prime membership for something other than free shipping. And between the two I expect to like Invincible a lot more; the Wheel of Time might be my favorite fantasy series of all time, but that's fourteen books (not counting the prequel) and an average of 800-900 pages per novel, with well over 2000 unique, named characters, who all matter in one way or another. There is no way that show will live up to the series.

And it's been a minute since I read Invincible, especially the early issues, but who is the black girl with Mark? I don't remember her from the comic. So....Amber, perhaps? We were talking about them race bending her, maybe they have?

~ Black Panther.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I'm excited. Kind of dropped off Invincible at around issue Fifty, but the parts of the series I've read feels like it will translate well to animation. I rarely watch anything on Amazon, but this is probably worth keeping the subscription going for me.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Invincible post issue 50 became the most unintentionally hilarious comic on the stands at the time and was swallowed by Kirkman's indulgences. I'll probably check out the show but I'm not expecting much writing-wise. Cast and animation looks cool though.

It looks like a perfect recreation of Corey Walker's style in an animated form with a dash of that anime-esque action animation style. Unsurprising since Walker is the lead character designer, but after getting so used to Ryan Ottley's style for Invincible it's a bit jarring.
    And it's been a minute since I read Invincible, especially the early issues, but who is the black girl with Mark? I don't remember her from the comic. So....Amber, perhaps? We were talking about them race bending her, maybe they have?
    Yeah, it's Amber. Rex looks darker too.

Having never read the comic this is based on, the character designs look amazing. But the real question is, how well will those designs be animated? If the animation isn't good, great designs won't save it. Part of the reason why the DCAU shows have aged so much better than the Marvel ones from the same era.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Having never read the comic this is based on, the character designs look amazing. But the real question is, how well will those designs be animated? If the animation isn't good, great designs won't save it. Part of the reason why the DCAU shows have aged so much better than the Marvel ones from the same era.
    I guess we'll have to see a trailer but I assume the animation will flow like a Legend of Korra/Voltron production.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess we'll have to see a trailer but I assume the animation will flow like a Legend of Korra/Voltron production.
    Didn't see Voltron, but Legend of Korra was darn great! If the animation is of that quality it'll be more than fine.