Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    For the most part, Italians are considered white people with funny accents. Like the British, but they eat more pasta.
    (Is that racist or just a bad joke? Was there ever any difference?)

Children are known for saying stupid things and not understanding what they're talking about. Don't let it get you down.

It’s not necessary that hearing this made me feel down. In fact, I felt bad for that child. Because, as a friend of mine who is an educator says, children are weekend adults. That is, they behave according to the way they see their parents behaving, in the time they spend with them, which in most cases, is when they are off work.
    So, hearing a child say that, indicates that the kind of environment in which that child is being raised, is full of prejudice. And I find that very sad.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Latino is not a race. Whether Tony was changed from being a white Spaniard to a white Italian , his race has not changed, therefore this not an example of racism. Racism and prejudice are also not the same thing. People misuse racism as a blanket term to describe all forms of prejudice without actually undestanding what it means. Especially with whats been going on in the US the past couple of months, thats not something that should be used lightly. Changing the origin of a fictional character's mother is not racism.

If you don't consider Latino a different race, you are absolutely correct, but I have to say, that you are wrong to think, that this is the prevailing view in the United States.

My husband and I were literally referred to, as a bi-racial couple. A term that I'm sure, needs no explanation.

Do you, for example, consider Asian a separate race? Because, I guarantee that if you tell a Japanese, a Chinese and a Korean, that they are all of the same race, you will have to deal with very angry discordant reactions.

When I talk about it, as I mentioned more than once, it comes from experience, and not from theories or speculations. Accuracy in reporting the facts, is absolutely important under any circumstances. Because credibility, is something that once lost, will never be recovered.

So I ask you again, if what I reported, including being considered to be of a different race than my husband, is not racism, what is it then? Enlighten me.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    For what it's worth, southern Europeans were once heavily discriminated against in the United States compared to northern and western Europeans, but that's largely a thing of the past.
    For those born in Europe, this may even be a thing of the past. But for South Americans, it is very much a thing of the present.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Spanish people are confused as hell by America's 'whole anyone who speaks Spanish is not white categorization'. Some Spanish actors have talked about it.

Actor Antonio Banderas talked a bit about it in an interview
    Banderas then recalled filling out an official form in the U.S.: When he went to check the box for "white" under race, he was told that was wrong, that he was Hispanic.

"I said, 'Hispanic isn't actually a race,' " Banderas told Ramos, but he went ahead and checked the Hispanic box. "Great, I'm happy to be Hispanic, Spanish, Latino, and if I'm a person of color, well then I'm a person of color."

The idea that Banderas is a white European may be obvious to many, especially those in the Latinx community, but it's not the first time a white Spaniard has been referred to in the U.S. as a "person of color" or Latinx.

After all, Spaniards are technically considered Hispanic by the U.S. Census Bureau, which defines the term as "a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race."
    https://www.npr.org/2020/02/09/80380...=1595831054506

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Stark View Post
    For those born in Europe, this may even be a thing of the past. But for South Americans, it is very much a thing of the present.
    I was talking specifically of Europeans.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    Spanish people are confused as hell by America's 'whole anyone who speaks Spanish is not white categorization'. Some Spanish actors have talked about it.

Actor Antonio Banderas talked a bit about it in an interview

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/09/80380...=1595831054506
    Its almost as if there's no science behind what we classify as race!

If you don't consider Latino a different race, you are absolutely correct, but I have to say, that you are wrong to think, that this is the prevailing view in the United States.

My husband and I were literally referred to, as a bi-racial couple. A term that I'm sure, needs no explanation.

Do you, for example, consider Asian a separate race? Because, I guarantee that if you tell a Japanese, a Chinese and a Korean, that they are all of the same race, you will have to deal with very angry discordant reactions.

When I talk about it, as I mentioned more than once, it comes from experience, and not from theories or speculations. Accuracy in reporting the facts, is absolutely important under any circumstances. Because credibility, is something that once lost, will never be recovered.

So I ask you again, if what I reported, including being considered to be of a different race than my husband, is not racism, what is it then? Enlighten me.
    I dont know you, your husband, or your races so Im not going to speak on that. Its a recipe for disaster to try to school another poster on whatever they personally identify as

As for your Asian examples. Yes they are all the same race. They are not the same ethnicity though. I dont know how people within the original countries see it but in America, Ive never seen an Asian person claim to not be Asian. Race and ethnicity are not the same thing. One can be Japanese, Chinese or Korean and still be considered Asian just like a person can be Irish, Italian or French and still be white/European

Mighty Member

Actually, most people Asian people don't give a crap if you call them Asian. They'll get more offended if you call them Chinese since the West considers Chinese synonymous with Asian. Even then, there's a lot of ethnicities in China alone from the majority Han, the Manchus from the Qing Dynasty, the Uyghur who are currently in concentration camps, the Hmong, and assorted Mongolian and Turkic peoples who I will not list.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Here it is, from Iron Man Volume 3 issue # 30, published in 2000.

Howard naming an island after his wife and adding a word that means "saint" is proof she was Latina? Are you kidding me?
    "Cable was right!"

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    As for your Asian examples. Yes they are all the same race. They are not the same ethnicity though. I dont know how people within the original countries see it but in America, Ive never seen an Asian person claim to not be Asian. Race and ethnicity are not the same thing. One can be Japanese, Chinese or Korean and still be considered Asian just like a person can be Irish, Italian or French and still be white/European
    There are Filipinos (like me) and Filipino-Americans on this board. I claim to be Asian (very small traces of Spanish and French ancestry diluted down the family tree notwithstanding), and Southeast Asian as a subcategory of that (to be more precise Austronesian, since that language group is separate from other language family in the region such as for Thai), and Filipino in ethnicity. My family and relatives in the US identify themselves likewise as Asian-Americans, then Filipino-Americans.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Howard naming an island after his wife and adding a word that means "saint" is proof she was Latina? Are you kidding me?
    Especially since Santa is also the word used in Italian, which appears to be the debate.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

The Starks are white asf. Therein, Tony is white. No one gives two sh!t about the recent adoption retcon, it’s not canon. It makes no sense.

However, Tony would be superior if he was indeed a poc. Now that, is a W.
    Yikes, my grammar has gone to ****. Rip

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    The Starks are white asf. Therein, Tony is white. No one gives two sh!t about the recent adoption retcon, it’s not canon. It makes no sense.

However, Tony would be superior if he was indeed a poc. Now that, is a W.
    Howard is w asf. No disputing that.

The question is Maria, who the writers intended as Italian-American when she got fleshed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Howard is w asf. No disputing that.

The question is Maria, who the writers intended as Italian-American when she got fleshed out.
    For a tiny second I thought u called Howard a „dub“ but yea Howard is Caucasian but so is Maria. She’s supposed to be white (regardless of her nationality/ethnicity) she was white and blonde in her early appearances. I don’t know from where y’all getting the „writers intended her to be Italian/Latina“ like where in canon? I know in the fanon and headcanons she’s Italian but it’s never confirmed.
    Yikes, my grammar has gone to ****. Rip

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    For a tiny second I thought u called Howard a „dub“ but yea Howard is Caucasian but so is Maria. She’s supposed to be white (regardless of her nationality/ethnicity) she was white and blonde in her early appearances. I don’t know from where y’all getting the „writers intended her to be Italian/Latina“ like where in canon? I know in the fanon and headcanons she’s Italian but it’s never confirmed.
    Go to the “Ask Kurt Busiek” thread. Since Kurt was one of the people who fleshed out Maria back in the 90s, I asked him there about her ethnicity. He states he wrote her as Italian-American, but writers since then are free to do how they want.