Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Yeah, it happened.

Blade's reaction was pretty much like yours. "That makes no sense, I'm not half-white."
    As far as I know it hasn't been retconned away yet.

This is Blade's dad.

He's white a Latverian and a vampire.
    I think the real problem is his dad is lex luthor

Tony's always looked vaguely ethnic to me. Kinky quasi-afro hair, swarthy skin. So while it's not even close to the most racist retcon in Marvel history, it was colossally disappointing to find out that he was pure English, the most whitebread, vanilla choice of ethnicity for him imaginable. Finding this out was as boring as eating a soggy saltine cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Tony's always looked vaguely ethnic to me. Kinky quasi-afro hair, swarthy skin. So while it's not even close to the most racist retcon in Marvel history, it was colossally disappointing to find out that he was pure English, the most whitebread, vanilla choice of ethnicity for him imaginable. Finding this out was as boring as eating a soggy saltine cracker.
    I think that's something of a stretch. Certainly when I used to read Iron Man comics he was drawn with the same sort of full-bodied hair artists tended to draw heroes with, not something I'd describe as "quasi-afro"; and you can see looking at the examples below that he was given the same skin colour as the red-headed Pepper Potts:

I can understand that people are disappointed with the stupid Hydra agent retcon, and that it was so explicit with Tony's parents ethnicity, but certainly when I read Iron Man his hair and skin-colour were depicted in the same fashion as other white characters. Myself, I would have left it vague so people could simply read into the character whatever ethnic origins they wanted, which might have left everyone happy. Still don't think it was a racist retcon, though.

Yeah, it happened.

Blade's reaction was pretty much like yours. "That makes no sense, I'm not half-white."

This is Blade's dad.

I don’t think I have the words of how disrespectful and garbage this **** is.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    His character genre? I don't know that I agree with that. We've seen all this heroes exist in every possible trope, interacting with all sorts of out there concepts. Seems arbitrary to say no this crosses the line in a multiversal, Galactus roaming MU.

Through a comic book adoption agency, when he was a baby, to hide the real Stark baby. I'm honestly having a hard time understanding what's so confusing to get with this. If you don't like it fine. Sure some of the details aren't consistent due to different writers changing different things but the core concept is pretty easy to understand imo.

That's why I clicked lol.
    Ii just want to know if he is adopted why does he look like an almost exact duplicate of his adopted father. Now I know and have heard the expression you feed someone long enough they start to look like you but this is next level.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Ii just want to know if he is adopted why does he look like an almost exact duplicate of his adopted father. Now I know and have heard the expression you feed someone long enough they start to look like you but this is next level.
    He looks like his adopted father, has some of his habits and is the same type of super genius.

...yeah, doesn't break suspension of disbelief at all

nurture over nature.

Lets be honest it is not the worst science.

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    nurture over nature.

Lets be honest it is not the worst science.
    yeah but they could be twins. even nuture has its limits. i think we need to call maury.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    He looks like his adopted father, has some of his habits and is the same type of super genius.

...yeah, doesn't break suspension of disbelief at all
    exactly, im going to need the marvel maury to run that dna test. "in the case of tony stark, who looks just like you... YOU ARE the FATHER!" *que tony's mom getting her dance on.*
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

yeah but they could be twins. even nuture has its limits. i think we need to call maury.

at cetain points clint, hank,steve and Johnny storm all looked like each other is there some mad scientist flooding a sperm bank with his super kids.

Ultimate Member

at cetain points clint, hank,steve and Johnny storm all looked like each other is there some mad scientist flooding a sperm bank with his super kids.
    Lets not pretend artists are always good with details.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Lets not pretend artists are always good with details.
    Yeah, most of Marvel's female redheads probably all look alike until an artist has to put them in a room together .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, most of Marvel's female redheads probably all look alike until an artist has to put them in a room together .
    That reminds me of this

I think the real problem is his dad is lex luthor
    Vampire Lex Luthor to be exact, which would be a cool alt universe for Superman to fight lol.

Amazing Member

Here's a question for you all.

is the issues with Tony's mother more or less racist than retconning Blade into having a white father?

Yeah, it happened.

This is Blade's dad.

I would say it's just as bad, and only reinforces my point that there is work behind the scenes at Marvel, to "clean up" their characters.