Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Amazing Member

Default The most racist retcon in all of Marvel Comics history.

Bendis' retcon on Stark's parents, is extremely racist and offensive against the half Latin people.

Tony Stark's parents have always been a Latin woman and a man of probable Jewish origin who helped defeat the Nazis, which is not just a movie thing, it's true in the comics as well.

But, thanks to this racist retcon, Tony Stark is not the oldest and most prominent Marvel's mixed race super hero anymore, because now he is the son of an white woman with an actual Nazi! Why did Marvel decided to cancel Tony Stark's Latin heritage, replacing it with the most racist they could think of? This is totally unacceptable!

Am I the only person who is against this atrocious retcon? Tell me that I'm not alone in this.

Mighty Member

Clearly, you have never heard of Snap Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Clearly, you have never heard of Snap Wilson.
    First thing I thought of.

Sunspot would like a word
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Amazing Member

And clearly, you don't know that Snap Wilson was not a racist retcon, but a racist origin that was eventually retconed.

Snap Wilson is the exact reverse of the All-White Tony Stark, who, as I have explained in detail, is the replacement of an openly progressive origin, with an offensive racist one.

But, as is typical of men, when a woman complains about something, her arguments are deconstructed and labeled as a result of ignorance about what she is talking about.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

What about Psylocke?

Maria Stark was latin? First I've heard of this

me as well. not that I ever gave it much thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    According to Wikipedia she isn't.

Extraordinary Member

I thought she was Italian-American

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quite honestly neither have I. Maria isn't used exclusively by Latinas. I've seen it for other nationalities. If you want to get technical, Maria is the female equivalent for the Roman name Marius. So you will see it used for Italian women, Greek women, Polish women, etc.

Her bio doesn't mention her heritage as being Spanish She was born into a wealthy family in the Southamptons and her maiden name is Maria Collins.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    What about Psylocke?
    That wasn't a retcon but it was still racist.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    "Tony Stark isn't a Stark!"

God, what a dumb retcon...
    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Quoted for truth.

It does absolutely nothing for Iron Man as a character. Its just pointless.
    Agree with both of you. It added nothing substantive to the character. They should have just left things they way they were. I think Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Larry Lieber and Don Heck knew what they were doing when they created Tony Stark/Iron Man. Once you start messing with a characters origin, it’s like messing with the foundation of a house.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 07-21-2020 at 02:26 AM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Stark View Post
    And clearly, you don't know that Snap Wilson was not a racist retcon, but a racist origin that was eventually retconed.
    It was a racist retcon. Turning a black social worker into a racketeer is so obviously a retcon that it's insane to think of it as anything else. One, racketeers can't become social workers. It would take an act of God or some really clever and convoluted politicking in order to make it no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Stark View Post
    But, as is typical of men, when a woman complains about something, her arguments are deconstructed and labeled as a result of ignorance about what she is talking about.
    Poisoning the well will do you no good. It means you've run out of ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Quite honestly neither have I. Maria isn't used exclusively by Latinas. I've seen it for other nationalities. If you want to get technical, Maria is the female equivalent for the Roman name Marius. So you will see it used for Italian women, Greek women, Polish women, etc.

Not to mention, most usages of the name refers to the Maria, the Greek form of the name of the Virgin Mary.
    Last edited by U.N. Owen; 07-20-2020 at 02:35 PM.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

When was Tony ever not completely white?