Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RoboCop Returns

Astonishing Member

Default RoboCop Returns

Has anyone caught the news that Edward Neumeier is planning to write a sequel screenplay that takes place where the original 1987 RoboCop left off? I always felt that the original RoboCop was awe inspiring. However, the following 2 films and the 2014 remake were not good since those films were written by different writers. I had a dream that there would be a new RoboCop film that could be a true trilogy that was written by the same writer. I read that the new film would have the original RoboCop suit. Here is the link that talks about the new film:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...original-suit/

I hope that the film will include the original RoboCop actor, Dr. Peter Weller....

I've heard rumors of a new RoboCop film that would be a direct sequel to the first, but I haven't heard anything recently.

The most we've gotten is RoboCop is a playable character in the latest Mortal Kombat game.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I've heard rumors of a new RoboCop film that would be a direct sequel to the first, but I haven't heard anything recently.

The most we've gotten is RoboCop is a playable character in the latest Mortal Kombat game.
    That's really only news if you play videogames.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Robocop, like Jaws, is a perfect movie. It probably won't be improved by a reboot or a sequel. Neither Neumair nor Weller are in their prime. Probably. Wish it were otherwise. Murphy's story was done perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Robocop, like Jaws, is a perfect movie. It probably won't be improved by a reboot or a sequel. Neither Neumair nor Weller are in their prime. Probably. Wish it were otherrwise.
    That's not an argument against sequels though. They may have never once come close to the originals, but I still enjoyed the sequels to both Jaws and RoboCop as popcorn movies.

That last reboot attempt ended up falling flat. Let's hope this one does better.

How many fans think any iteration of Robocop needs to be a satire like the original? That was what really made it unique and much more than a mindless action movie. Considering how cops are seen right now, I can't imagine trying to navigate the politics of depicting/satirizing police. I see a lot of script changes throughout the process as our culture is still coming to terms with how we see cops or want to see them depicted without being either tone deaf or preachy.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    That's not an argument against sequels though. They may have never once come close to the originals, but I still enjoyed the sequels to both Jaws and RoboCop as popcorn movies.
    Sequels could be better received than the first movie if it becomes part of a trilogy, meaning an original movie that's broken into 3 parts. An example of this is the Harry Potter films. As long as its done by the same script writer, the films would work out great. What ironic about the new RoboCop movie is that Edward Neumeier was writing a direct sequel the the film in 1989. It was canned because of the writer's strike at the time. Thus Orion Pictures hired Frank Miller to write RoboCop 2 instead of Edward Neumeier. We all know how that movie turned out? I never watched part 2, part 3, or the 2014 remake of RoboCop because it was not written by Edward Neumeier.

Robocop is perfect and doesn’t need any sequels, spinoffs or remakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Sequels could be better received than the first movie if it becomes part of a trilogy, meaning an original movie that's broken into 3 parts. An example of this is the Harry Potter films. As long as its done by the same script writer, the films would work out great. What ironic about the new RoboCop movie is that Edward Neumeier was writing a direct sequel the the film in 1989. It was canned because of the writer's strike at the time. Thus Orion Pictures hired Frank Miller to write RoboCop 2 instead of Edward Neumeier. We all know how that movie turned out? I never watched part 2, part 3, or the 2014 remake of RoboCop because it was not written by Edward Neumeier.
    I'm tired of trilogies. Seriously, these things really don't need to be better received by hard core fans, they just need to be entertaining enough to make an audience kill a couple hours while eating popcorn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Robocop is perfect and doesn’t need any sequels, spinoffs or remakes.
    No film in history has ever needed a sequel, spinoff, or remake, that doesn't mean that they shouldn't happen.

Astonishing Member

I'm tired of trilogies. Seriously, these things really don't need to be better received by hard core fans, they just need to be entertaining enough to make an audience kill a couple hours while eating popcorn.

No film in history has ever needed a sequel, spinoff, or remake, that doesn't mean that they shouldn't happen.
    This is also a reason why Peter Weller is done with RoboCop. He felt that the first movie is a standalone from the succeeding films.

Last edited by Darthfury78; 07-19-2020 at 09:16 PM.

This is also a reason why Peter Weller is done with RoboCop. He felt that the first movie is a standalone from the succeeding films.

Again, that really doesn't mean that they shouldn't make another one to entertain people.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Again, that really doesn't mean that they shouldn't make another one to entertain people.
    Isn't there enough mindless sequels to entertain us for the rest of our lives already? They have tried with Robocop 3 times already.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Isn't there enough mindless sequels to entertain us for the rest of our lives already? They have tried with Robocop 3 times already.
    No? I mean most folks are more interested in newer stuff. It helps keep the interest in these characters alive, introduces them to potential new fans who might check out the original only because the new one piqued their interest which is a good thing, and these sort of projects are usually reliable money makers if they don't completely futz it up, which can give a much needed safety net of cash to attempt newer ideas and potential franchise makers.

Besides, what's the harm? Sequels can never ruin the original and can easily be ignored. I still love the original Star Wars trilogy.

Astonishing Member

The director whose making (RoboCop Returns) stated that he wants to film to include Peter Weller to reprise his role. Weller's response was initially no, because he felt that the first 2 films he stared in was enough. But if the script is very good, Weller might change his mind..

The director whose making (RoboCop Returns) stated that he wants to film to include Peter Weller to reprise his role. Weller's response was initially no, because he felt that the first 2 films he stared in was enough. But if the script is very good, Weller might change his mind..
    Hope it is and hope he does, because that would be awesome.