Default Shazam #13 spoilers, review, and discussion

Alright I'm going to say right now that since a lot has happened and it will be confusing that this is Geoff Johns penultimate issue of Shazam, yes I know 15 is the last but its only a fill-in. If you have been following up on just the Geoff Johns story this and the next issue (which I hear is giant sized) are the last of it. So since the previous issue was a fill-in issue with Batman lets catch up before we get into the meat of this. Mr. Mind is controlling Billy's biological father's body all marveled up and has freed the Monster Society of the magic realms......oh yeah and Superboy Prime is around. So before spoilers I'm just going to give my non-spoilery opinion. Basically its a well drawn fight issue, its all of the shazam family vs the monster society with Shazam fighting Mr. Mind. It has big moments and set up that will all lead into the last issue. It literally is the wind up, and basically if you are enjoying this run then you are going to be here for the end. Now that is not to say it doesn't have good story, in fact it has its moments of significance but like most comics I'm sure you have seen a fight issue before the ending of the arc. I'd give it an 8.5/10 personally.

Now onto the spoilers

spoilers:
    Basically like I said a lot of this is fighting but the heart of it is really with Shazam/Billy fighting his Mr. Mind controlled dad, which is where we get some sad turns. Mainly that Billy's dad is basically a street criminal who never cared for Billy, the only reason he was ever here at all is because Mr. Mind is controlling him and has been controlling him the whole time. It's actually pretty heartbreaking to see Billy's reaction hoping that the villains are just messing with him, and that he can't take his father's powers away because deep down he still loves him. That part got me a bit, especially after reading this series and seeing Billy with his biological dad. Luckily it looks like Billy will get the chance to personally beat up Mr. Mind if the end of the issue is any indication.

Oh and for the record, Superboy prime shows up for like one panel. We literally just see him stuck in one of the seven realms with his armor on and thats it. This issue is strictly Mr. Mind and the Monster Society, and honestly not sure how they will fit him in for the final issue or if they will even choose to do that at all, which honestly stinks to me because Johns said the JSA was coming but now with only one issue left I wonder how much of his initial plans had to be scrapped. Either way next issue will be the last John issue and honestly I'll jump off with it, not to particularly interested in the last issue if its just going to be filler from another writer.
    end of spoilers
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Always Rakzo

Thought this was a pretty solid issue, just like most of Johns' run, good worldbuilding and reintroduction of Captain Marvel's rogues gallery. Good art as well. Is a shame that this run is not going to last longer.

I have to mention that I appreciate that Johns is back too because good GOD, last issue was one of the worst filler issues that I've read in a while. Yes, let's make a chapter that puts Batman on a pedestal while mentioning how lame Captain Marvel's villains are, I'm sure readers of Shazam will appreciate that.