Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member

Default Does anyone else want to see more downtime for our intrepid heroes?

Not saying a whole series like the old non superhero comics. But every 2 to 3 action packed arcs we get an issue of them just being people doing people stuff.

BANNED

Sure?
    Captain marvel recently had one.

If it's done well, sure.

Bendis used to do it all the time. I know a lot of people were critical of him having heroes sitting around just talking, but I often found it entertaining. In moderation, I think it's a good thing.

Yes.

It’s one reason I don’t like the loss of secret identities across Marvel (and DC). Nowadays heroes do nothing BUT be heroes, live w. other heroes, date each other...
    Time was, heroes had personal lives, apartments, non hero friends and problems.
    I miss that.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Yes.

It’s one reason I don’t like the loss of secret identities across Marvel (and DC). Nowadays heroes do nothing BUT be heroes, live w. other heroes, date each other...
    Time was, heroes had personal lives, apartments, non hero friends and problems.
    I miss that.
    Riv86672 speaks my thoughts. It's one of the reasons my favorite Captain America was when he was working as a commercial artist and living in Brooklyn Heights.

In addition to working private lives into the stories, I loved scenes like The Thing's floating poker game:
    Image.jpg
    images.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Riv86672 speaks my thoughts. It's one of the reasons my favorite Captain America was when he was working as a commercial artist and living in Brooklyn Heights.
    Agreed. I loved it when Cap had a private life outside of being a superhero:

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    In addition to working private lives into the stories, I loved scenes like The Thing's floating poker game:
    Image.jpg
    images.jpg
    Me too. All-time favorite would be the Silvestri version from...

Wolverine #53

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    If it's done well, sure.

Bendis used to do it all the time. I know a lot of people were critical of him having heroes sitting around just talking, but I often found it entertaining. In moderation, I think it's a good thing.

This Bendis got ripped for this all the time but I like it in small doses.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    This Bendis got ripped for this all the time but I like it in small doses.
    Bendis got ripped for it because he did it so poorly. People sitting at a table with the same artwork being used over and over is nothing like when you used to see the heroes relaxing.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Bendis got ripped for it because he did it so poorly. People sitting at a table with the same artwork being used over and over is nothing like when you used to see the heroes relaxing.
    Yeah, other writers would show people playing baseball/basketball/football, or bantering at a poker game, while Bendis, as I recall, tended to have a bunch of people sitting around in a darkened room (or Quinjet), talky-talking very seriously (and occasionally snarkily), with their faces half in shadow. Very not dynamic, and not at all a 'slice of daily activities' if one's daily activities don't involve sitting around in an inadequately-lit room talking.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    If it's done well, sure.

Yeah Bendis was the king of this.

His Avengers were pretty funny around the dinner table and his Ultimate Spider-Man is amazing - later in the run when Peter's house became a superhero halfway house was great

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post

His Avengers were pretty funny around the dinner table and his Ultimate Spider-Man is amazing - later in the run when Peter's house became a superhero halfway house was great
    Agree. Bendis was great with downtime in Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Agree. Bendis was great with downtime in Avengers.
    One of my all time favorite Bendis issues ever written was the Illuminati issue where he spent literally a third of the issue having the guys complain about their woman problems. To me that was great. I would definately like to see more of that in comics, again in moderation (Bendis arguably overdid it a little at times but at least he was good at it).

That's one of the differences in my mind at least between the Avengers and the Justice League. I don't think the League has too much downtime. I don't think Batman, Aquaman and Wonder Woman hang out too much between missions. But I think Stark and Thor are all to happy to just sit back and kick it for a bit when things are slow. I think the Avengers (most versions at least) just seem like a funner bunch of guys to hang out with and I'd actually be willing to read about it. BUt maybe that's a little marvel bias filtering in.
    Last edited by XPac; 07-22-2020 at 06:41 AM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    No Chris Claremount was the king of this. Bendis is not even close to him in this regard.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    Sure?
    Captain marvel recently had one.
    That turned into some supervillian wannabe starting nonsense.

I'm all for stuff like this. If the goal is to have heroes more like us, then 24/7/365.24 superheroing doesn't work. Most of these heroes are people and people do other stuff. Now an issue with nothing but real life stuff may be too much, but a few pages every so often can do a lot to humanize a character, even a villain.