Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Does anyone else want to see more downtime for our intrepid heroes?

Not saying a whole series like the old non superhero comics. But every 2 to 3 action packed arcs we get an issue of them just being people doing people stuff.

BANNED

Sure?
    Captain marvel recently had one.

If it's done well, sure.

Bendis used to do it all the time. I know a lot of people were critical of him having heroes sitting around just talking, but I often found it entertaining. In moderation, I think it's a good thing.

Yes.

It’s one reason I don’t like the loss of secret identities across Marvel (and DC). Nowadays heroes do nothing BUT be heroes, live w. other heroes, date each other...
    Time was, heroes had personal lives, apartments, non hero friends and problems.
    I miss that.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    Sure?
    Captain marvel recently had one.
    That turned into some supervillian wannabe starting nonsense.

I'm all for stuff like this. If the goal is to have heroes more like us, then 24/7/365.24 superheroing doesn't work. Most of these heroes are people and people do other stuff. Now an issue with nothing but real life stuff may be too much, but a few pages every so often can do a lot to humanize a character, even a villain.

Invincible Member

You used to get that back in the day in like the X-Men and the Avengers. At the end of an epic there'd sometimes be an "interlude" issue of the characters just interacting with each other while subplots or elements for the next big story would introduced.

The X-men would be playing softball or going to the mall or something. The Avengers would be working out or dealing with some PR thing.

I'd enjoy seeing these kinds of issues as well. Really enjoyed seeing the Avengers 'just hanging out' at their party, prior to Ultron destroying everything in 'Age of Ultron' movie. We all know the secret now, but watching everyone try to pick up Mjolnir? That was classic!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I'm all for stuff like this. If the goal is to have heroes more like us, then 24/7/365.24 superheroing doesn't work. Most of these heroes are people and people do other stuff. Now an issue with nothing but real life stuff may be too much, but a few pages every so often can do a lot to humanize a character, even a villain.
    You could just it over the course of a day. Like in FF you see what they all on their own or in pairs. Or what they all do at the the community center Ben runs.

Or if you do just a few pages...Johnny and Kaila taking time to get to know more about each other and him teaching her about Earth. Or Ben and Alicia having breakfast with Vance Astrovik and Suzy Sherman (deep cut here because how many remember Ben's and Vance's history?).

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    You could just it over the course of a day. Like in FF you see what they all on their own or in pairs. Or what they all do at the the community center Ben runs.

Or if you do just a few pages...Johnny and Kaila taking time to get to know more about each other and him teaching her about Earth. Or Ben and Alicia having breakfast with Vance Astrovik and Suzy Sherman (deep cut here because how many remember Ben's and Vance's history?).
    Ben had quite a few friendships gained over his experiences in Marvel Two-In-One. It's kind of sad we don't see much of those anymore As for Vance, I remember him having a role in some issues of 2 in 1, but the details escape me. I may have to dig out back issues.

Incredible Member Marvel Forever's Avatar

Personally, I have long favored more down time for the Fantastic Four. While the old blue FF uniforms always looked nice, I often urged Marvel to show Susan Storm more often in pretty street clothes when writing the FF Fan Page.

This reminds me of an episode in Avengers: Secret Wars where Carol told Kamala how they were now "Avengers 24/7" as if they had to explicitly point out how none of the characters on this show had lives outside being Superheroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This reminds me of an episode in Avengers: Secret Wars where Carol told Kamala how they were now "Avengers 24/7" as if they had to explicitly point out how none of the characters on this show had lives outside being Superheroes.
    That is depressing.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Forever View Post
    Personally, I have long favored more down time for the Fantastic Four. While the old blue FF uniforms always looked nice, I often urged Marvel to show Susan Storm more often in pretty street clothes when writing the FF Fan Page.
    Back in the Byrne days this was actually pretty common.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Ben had quite a few friendships gained over his experiences in Marvel Two-In-One. It's kind of sad we don't see much of those anymore As for Vance, I remember him having a role in some issues of 2 in 1, but the details escape me. I may have to dig out back issues.
    Vance spend quite a while traveling with Ben in the Thing solo series that came out in the 80s. Issues 26-32.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 07-22-2020 at 04:45 AM.