Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the problem wasn't so much the downtime but the lack of concrete relationship development coming out of it.

I can recall a few times I've seen members of the League cut back and hang out. But I also don't think Thor is the type to do that anyways, but that's just me.
    I recall a bunch of times Thor wanting to kick back in the Avengers mansion with a mead. I think I learned the word mead from Avengers books, reading Thor drink the things in the Avengers downtime. Pantheon gods in general are guys who I think are fun to hang with. Gods are light frat guys, only with the ability to control the elements.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I recall a bunch of times Thor wanting to kick back in the Avengers mansion with a mead. I think I learned the word mead from Avengers books, reading Thor drink the things in the Avengers downtime. Pantheon gods in general are guys who I think are fun to hang with. Gods are light frat guys, only with the ability to control the elements.
    That sounds like more of a Jason Aaron thing...but I think Thor should be the farthest person there is from a frat boy. That's more Hercules' shtick.

So just do some good "breather" issues and have it more focused than your average filler.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That sounds like more of a Jason Aaron thing...but I think Thor should be the farthest person there is from a frat boy. That's more Hercules' shtick.
    Well, during the Kurt B. era of Avengers/Iron Man, he did the Carol Danvers alcoholic plot. At one point she says, "Hawkeye drinks beer, Thor drinks mead! Why are they mad at me?!"

Earlier in the 80's there was an Annual where the Avengers go to the moon to hang out with the Inhumans for some sort of diplomatic mission and at a party Thor remarks about the "good mead".

But then again, in both cases this was a more reserved bronze age Thor and not MCU influenced party-harty Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Well, during the Kurt B. era of Avengers/Iron Man, he did the Carol Danvers alcoholic plot. At one point she says, "Hawkeye drinks beer, Thor drinks mead! Why are they mad at me?!"

Earlier in the 80's there was an Annual where the Avengers go to the moon to hang out with the Inhumans for some sort of diplomatic mission and at a party Thor remarks about the "good mead".

But then again, in both cases this was a more reserved bronze age Thor and not MCU influenced party-harty Thor.
    I think it's fine if he mentions it occasionally but it seems like Aaron's Thor couldn't go two issues without mentioning mead.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    This Bendis got ripped for this all the time but I like it in small doses.
    Bendis got ripped for it because he did it so poorly. People sitting at a table with the same artwork being used over and over is nothing like when you used to see the heroes relaxing.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Yeah Bendis was the king of this.
    No Chris Claremount was the king of this. Bendis is not even close to him in this regard.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Bendis got ripped for it because he did it so poorly. People sitting at a table with the same artwork being used over and over is nothing like when you used to see the heroes relaxing.
    Yeah, other writers would show people playing baseball/basketball/football, or bantering at a poker game, while Bendis, as I recall, tended to have a bunch of people sitting around in a darkened room (or Quinjet), talky-talking very seriously (and occasionally snarkily), with their faces half in shadow. Very not dynamic, and not at all a 'slice of daily activities' if one's daily activities don't involve sitting around in an inadequately-lit room talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Vance spend quite a while traveling with Ben in the Thing solo series that came out in the 80s. Issues 26-32.
    Agreed. Ben alone and without the F4 was a most enjoyable reading experience. Really miss those days (TT^TT):

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Yeah Bendis was the king of this.

His Ultimate Spider-Man is amazing - later in the run when Peter's house became a superhero halfway house was great
    In agreement with you about Ultimate Peter Parker. Also, the artwork (David Lafuente/Takeshi Miyazawa) helped out greatly:

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I remember as a kid the Avengers and West Coast Avengers had an annual soft ball game against each other in the summer annuals. I think they only did it twice and it was always unterrupted by super villains, but I thought the idea of it at least was pretty cool. Just seeing the two teams hang and and play together I think was a neat idea which sadly didn't last too long.
    Agreed. Every summer, I'd look forward to these annual events between the Eakos & the Wackos.

At the end of the last one, there was some foreshadowing with the Grandmaster. Sadly, nothing came of it (AFAIK):

Last edited by K7P5V; 07-24-2020 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Riv86672 speaks my thoughts. It's one of the reasons my favorite Captain America was when he was working as a commercial artist and living in Brooklyn Heights.
    Agreed. I loved it when Cap had a private life outside of being a superhero:

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    In addition to working private lives into the stories, I loved scenes like The Thing's floating poker game:
    Attachment 99052
    Attachment 99053
    Me too. All-time favorite would be the Silvestri version from...

Wolverine #53

I’d love to see an issue with Tony just working in his lab and inventing things. That’s what he consideres downtime.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I don't approve of Wolverine advertising gambling