Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Why having the universe revolve around Batman is a problem.

Batman is popular I get it, but their comes a point when a franchise becomes so big that it starts to distort itself. Rather then match a story concept up with a character that it makes sense with, now we are stretching and contorting Batman in order to fit the story. We have a inter dimensional Joker/Batman mashup character. Batman is a street level character who fights mobsters and costumed freaks, time travel and inter dimensional menaces are more Superman’s thing. Or at least they would be, if DC would stop just shoveling everything pitched into the Bat office. This is the result when the heroes in your universe don’t have distinct roles. Everything just get pored into the most popular character and all the other franchise just kind of whither on the vine.

Its a refreshing change of pace and actually works because Batman is popular and paranoid enough to justify being everywhere and involved in everything
    BWL for all the grief he gets on this forum is actually their most popular new character in forever

The fact that some on the internet don't like change is usually a sign DC is doing something good

Agreed. I mean, okay, I'm a massive Superman fanboy and I can admit when they did this a lot with him as the big dog, that could get tired too for people who were into other things. But at the very least he fit the template of the larger sci-fi/supernatural type tales that most events become. It doesn't fit for Batman at all. Once every once in a while okay, that's not the end of the world. But this guy now has an entire multiverse dedicated to different versions of himself to make it so that there's a Batman for every single purpose. Every single thing that is another characters forte, there's a Batman for that. That's where we're at.

The fact that some on the internet don't like change is usually a sign DC is doing something good
    Not necessarily. The internet will complain about anything, generally received well/successful or not. Its not a surefire sign of anything one way or another. Garbage will be trashed just as willfully as the gold. Furthermore this isn't really change, this is an exacerbation to ridiculous levels of what's been the general formula for at least ten years now.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-21-2020 at 04:51 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Its a refreshing change of pace and actually works because Batman is popular and paranoid enough to justify being everywhere and involved in everything
    BWL for all the grief he gets on this forum is actually their most popular new character in forever

Not when it comes at the expense of others.

He is the most shoved in your face character and that is saying a lot with Harley and Deadpool running around.

You are not doing something good if you settle for "we got Batman-SCREW everybody else."

Batman is NOT Black Panther, Miles, Saga, Walking Dead, Ms Marvel, Deadpool and so many others.

Batman hoarding everything does not fix the issues Superman, Green Lantern and others have.

To put it in simpler terms-

DC has issues building up a A list black character-part of that reason was they let MILESTONE deal with black heroes. So all those years of NOT investing in Nubia and others came to roost years later.

Keep using Batman as the end all-don't be shocked when no one cares for the rest.

Agreed, Batman sucks and is overrated.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

the huge tentpole characters create room for the lesser niche characters to succeed. If there was a more stringent line at DC you wouldn't see anything outside of Batman, Superman, and Justice League tertiary titles
    All the legacy heroes would disappear and all the original heroes like sideways wouldn't even get a chance

DC should push their black heroes but there's always people at the top who screw things up

DC has a lot of issues with their creators that stifle things like this
    Now you have 3 new hero lanterns because Johns and Bendis didn't want to be labeled as problematic writers
    Now you have this big mess going on with the GL line no one is happy. Its not a bad thing its just a change that rubbed people the wrong way

Superman can be the center of everything for DC and you'd have the same problem but of course people on the internet will be quiet about it because they live to promote Superman's victimhood since his popularity has diminished.

I don't really like it either but I get it, they gotta get their money somehow. The people have unconditional love for Bats and show absolutely no signs of slowing down.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Mighty Member

Batman is in everything, because at the end of the day he sells, and the bottom line is what matters.

I feel your frustration though, there are a ton of heroes that I would like to see with their own titles, but alas, they don't have the commercial viability or multimedia namesake as the Bat, just be thankful that's there is no longer 5 or 6 exclusively Batman titles in circulation as in days past.

It at least makes the rare moments Bats get humbled by another hero all the more refreshing at least.
    Last edited by Gaius; 07-21-2020 at 05:19 PM.

Yeah I can agree that there is a lot of focus on Batman and that some other characters should a bigger focus, personally I’d like to see an event where only groups like the Teen Titans, young Justice, the JSA, and etc. are left to save the day after the Justice League disappear or something. That’s why I like events like Doomsday Clock and the Witching hour that give bigger focus to other characters. However I don’t hate Batman stories, I just want others to get a chance.

However I’m not going to rag on him for time travel and inter dimensional stuff, I know they like to sell Batman as street level but I think you have to take into account that he lives in the dc universe. You can’t just keep things “normal” when you live in a world of alien powerhouses, immortal Amazonians, Speedsters, space cops, telepaths, ninjas, mages, lords of order, children of demons, New gods, Apokolipians, robots, cyborgs, clones, and so on and so forth. Maybe in the 40’s and so on he was truly street level but when you consider the modern DC landscape, the crazy feats he has is his normal if he wants to hold himself up as a member of the Justice League, one of the smartest people on the planet, and as one of the more respected heroes in the dc universe.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Batman operates better at this level:

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    the huge tentpole characters create room for the lesser niche characters to succeed. If there was a more stringent line at DC you wouldn't see anything outside of Batman, Superman, and Justice League tertiary titles
    All the legacy heroes would disappear and all the original heroes like sideways wouldn't even get a chance

DC should push their black heroes but there's always people at the top who screw things up

DC has a lot of issues with their creators that stifle things like this
    Now you have 3 new hero lanterns because Johns and Bendis didn't want to be labeled as problematic writers
    Now you have this big mess going on with the GL line no one is happy. Its not a bad thing its just a change that rubbed people the wrong way

Superman can be the center of everything for DC and you'd have the same problem but of course people on the internet will be quiet about it because they live to promote Superman's victimhood since his popularity has diminished.
    lol what is this Reaganomics for comics

Making other characters popular and sell well and successfully adapting them would make them succeed. Pretending Batman's trickle down readers will save these comics that have no push or power to them is silly. Especially since the reason they lack is...Batman. It's not like there's one Batman comic acting as a sales leader to allow other comics to succeed. The entire line is dominated in page count by Batman. Those are pages and issues not being used on other characters. Batman strangles at his current exposure, not supports.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Batman operates better at this level:

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    I feel like anything that has Batman looking like this has a chance of being pretty good.

If he's not in the blue costume with the yellow oval, odds are we're getting Bat-Jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I feel like anything that has Batman looking like this has a chance of being pretty good.

If he's not in the blue costume with the yellow oval, odds are we're getting Bat-Jerk.
    Yeah. This is my Batman. I also think the character was strongest before the Yellow Circle, but the Yellow Circle Batman was the first I read, so I won't disagree with you.

Honestly i just want Alan Grant Batman back, that guy was cool.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona