Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The ISSUE has been not following up on those things.
    Superman and Batman can fail and still get shot after shot after shot. With every excuse being accepted-from studio interference to China to a virus.
    Everyone else??? Those excuses are NOT accepted. Even if the film did well.
    Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Suicide Squad and Shazam (wich did not that well) are getting sequels and have all comics out.

The CW Shows are for the most part still running so why following up on that (and they keep doing new ones).

When it comes to animated shows there is the big question where to put them, the TV Networks seem only to be interested at stuff that aims for a very young audience (Teen Titans Go, Super Hero Girls), DC Universe is on it's way out so unless there is audience for these shows at HBO Max I don't think they will produce many.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Suicide Squad and Shazam (wich did not that well) are getting sequels and have all comics out.

The CW Shows are for the most part still running so why following up on that (and they keep doing new ones).

When it comes to animated shows there is the big question where to put them, the TV Networks seem only to be interested at stuff that aims for a very young audience (Teen Titans Go, Super Hero Girls), DC Universe is on it's way out so unless there is audience for these shows at HBO Max I don't think they will produce many.
    But again, the films only came out recently. So better late than never, but things are still heavily skewed towards Batman overall despite the fact that DCEU Batman was not any more well received than DCEU Superman. And Wonder Woman wouldn't have gotten the next chance as quickly if she failed. Batman's getting another film despite the fact that some of it at a glance seems to be going for the same approach as Nolan, so it may not be offering anything new.

Comics being out don't matter that much, since it's a niche market. None of the casuals who are seeing the films are going to buy the comics. Even among those that do, Batman gets plenty of pretty stupid Death Metal events. Wonder Woman didn't get an event crossover for her first film, and nothing besides a prominent role in yet another Batman metal event for her second. Nothing to do with her own mythos, she's a guest star in his.

Suicide Squad isn't the most convincing counter considering its marketing campaign focused a lot on the Joker and Harley, and had a Batman cameo.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    But again, the films only came out recently. So better late than never, but things are still heavily skewed towards Batman overall despite the fact that DCEU Batman was not any more well received than DCEU Superman.
    Yeah but with Batman they can still go back to a Nolan type Movie, which has proven to be popular.
    The last Superman Movies that were really well liked the ones by Richard Donner, that was 40 years ago and I don't think that that approach would work for the current audience.

And Wonder Woman wouldn't have gotten the next chance as quickly if she failed. Batman's getting another film despite the fact that some of it at a glance seems to be going for the same approach as Nolan, so it may not be offering anything new.
    IIRC the Batman Movie was already in production before the Justice league Flop and was supposed to star and be directed by Ben Affleck, and got retooled after he quit.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

But again, the films only came out recently. So better late than never, but things are still heavily skewed towards Batman overall despite the fact that DCEU Batman was not any more well received than DCEU Superman.
    If Batman could survive Batman & Robin, he can easily survive the DCEU version.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Yeah but with Batman they can still go back to a Nolan type Movie, which has proven to be popular.
    The last Superman Movies that were really well liked the ones by Richard Donner, that was 40 years ago and I don't think that that approach would work for the current audience.
    I'm not saying aping the Donner approach would be a good idea. I think they need to break that mold for the character.
    WB has just proven to be a piss poor choice of a studio to do it. They weren't even directly responsible for the first success. Yet unfortunately they are what we have. It can be understandable for them to gunshy with Superman, but most of it is their own fault.

The Nolan approach being successful and falling back on it is understandable, but also pretty safe/lazy*. And being safe doesn't really disprove the point that they rely on Batman perhaps more than they should, which isn't going to help them in the long run. I don't think Batman will ever go away or stop being one of their most popular characters, but over saturation is a thing.

*I'm still open to giving Reeves/Pattinson a chance and will see the film, but it does at first glance seem like a rehash.

IIRC the Batman Movie was already in production before the Justice league Flop and was supposed to star and be directed by Ben Affleck, and got retooled after he quit.
    Was it every officially in production or was it just one of the many films they were kicking around? JL had to start production even after the poor BvS reception because it was too late to pull the plug. Before they got Reeves to direct and dragging their feet further further on Affleck, was anything set in stone enough that it couldn't have fallen by the wayside? Like the Nightwing and Batgirl films, or the Deathstroke casting that totally isn't happening now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Yeah but with most people satisfied with the Nolan/Bale trilogy and not being overly attached to Affleck, I don't think there was a great need for one as quick as they did.

Them not being overly concerned with Wonder Woman as much and expecting it to fail (despite her being one of the few positively received elements of BvS) and DCEU Superman at least getting one somewhat positive (at least in comparison) solo movie whereas DCEU Affleck didn't even get one, indicates that they feel Batman has less to prove compare to the other two members of the Trinity. Despite at times failing pretty hard. Superman has a lot of bad movies, but does he have one as maligned as B&R?

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Oh yes, it is so selfish to want to see some other characters have a little bit of spotlight shone on them. How dare we??
    The selfishness is more about saying "Dc should do this! I want *THIS* thing" but really I'm sure they're market analyst know whats better for the company that we do. Unless you're some kind of market analyst yourself. The idea of diversifying your portfolio isn't new to anyone, though and as much sense as something like that MAKES if it was feasible for them to do it FINANCIALLY then they certainly would.

for example
    Yeah right. It's so selfish of me to wish that say, when DC release a new line of action figures, one of them will be a Dolphin figure instead of the entire line being Batman characters (who already have tons of action figures). What a terrible person I am.
    Its just like such a joke. I want this *Thing* a dolphin or namorita or whoever statue isn't worth the plastic it takes to make.
    And if you feel that its that important to you just commission one. Thing is you're NOT being a terrible person, its natural want what you want. . .just a terribly unrealistic one.
    You want a dolphin statue, okay fine. Dc wants to stay in business.
    They have to be able to sell more than one. Sorry not sorry.

The dishonesty I feel comes from the idea floating around in the background of this talk that "if it weren't for that damnned bat *Rubs hands together*.
    However... there's hundreds of characters that would get a figure before dolphin. Dolphins not going to be a popular character "NO MATTER WHAT" there really needs to be some acknowledgement that all these chars. aren't just "Created equall ~ lacking a push".

Again I'm looking at you Leviathan. Metaphorically.... People didn't support leviathan so the status quo defaults back. and so on and so forth.
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 07-27-2020 at 11:37 PM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

But again, the films only came out recently. So better late than never, but things are still heavily skewed towards Batman overall despite the fact that DCEU Batman was not any more well received than DCEU Superman. And Wonder Woman wouldn't have gotten the next chance as quickly if she failed. Batman's getting another film despite the fact that some of it at a glance seems to be going for the same approach as Nolan, so it may not be offering anything new.

Comics being out don't matter that much, since it's a niche market. None of the casuals who are seeing the films are going to buy the comics. Even among those that do, Batman gets plenty of pretty stupid Death Metal events. Wonder Woman didn't get an event crossover for her first film, and nothing besides a prominent role in yet another Batman metal event for her second. Nothing to do with her own mythos, she's a guest star in his.

Suicide Squad isn't the most convincing counter considering its marketing campaign focused a lot on the Joker and Harley, and had a Batman cameo.
    I'm pretty sure DCEU Batman was received much better than DCEU Superman was, #ThankYouBatfleck was trending worldwide for hours a few days ago. A lot of people consider Batfleck to be one if if not the best onscreen Batman ever, not too many feel that way about Cavill's Superman. There was a lot of hype over the idea of Batfleck getting his own solo movie.

Also, what's wrong with another Nolanesque Batman movie? If those were by far the most successful Batman movies ever I can see why WB would want more like them, not to mention how popular the ultra grounded Joker was, if the public has a hunger for more realistic stories in Batman's universe I say give it to them.

When people say Batman keeps getting chances even when he fails they forget he's had more wins than losses. Batman & Robin is to my knowledge the only Batman solo movie that lost a lot of money and it was proceeded by 3 hit films. Obviously this track record will make WB less hesitant to give him more movies even if some aren't as successful as others. The fact that Shazam is getting a sequel when his movie is the 2nd lowest grossing DCEU movie before Superman gets a sequel shows this isn't just an issue about Batman.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    I'm pretty sure DCEU Batman was received much better than DCEU Superman was, #ThankYouBatfleck was trending worldwide for hours a few days ago. A lot of people consider Batfleck to be one if if not the best onscreen Batman ever, not too many feel that way about Cavill's Superman. There was a lot of hype over the idea of Batfleck getting his own solo movie.
    Dceu batman is as accepted as superman,even less so. Dceu superman and man of steel has a dedicated fanbase, at the very least.There was a whole lot of commotion when there were rumours of cavill going away.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    But imo Batman Begins still took a hit from Batman & Robin, it's sequels made 3 times as much money at their opening weeks ends as Batman Begins made.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Dceu superman and man of steel has a dedicated fanbase, at the very least.
    But is that fanbase big enough to carry another 200+ Million Blockbuster?

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Dceu batman is as accepted as superman,even less so. Dceu superman and man of steel has a dedicated fanbase, at the very least.There was a whole lot of commotion when there were rumours of cavill going away.
    I'm not saying Cavill's Superman doesn't have his fans, he clearly does but from what I've seen Batfleck is a lot more popular. He and Wonder Woman were pretty much the only parts of BvS that consistently got praise.

Extraordinary Member

I think the thing with Superman is that a Superman movie that flops might have (do him being that iconic) bigger consequence for the ones involved (and DC as a brand) than a flop of one of the lesser known characters.

And due his iconic status it is probably also harder to keep the budget down, since a Superman movie has to be big.

I mean if a movie like Shazam under performs, no one really cares, if a Superman movie flops a few heads may roll at Warner Brothers.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I think the thing with Superman is that a Superman movie that flops might have (do him being that iconic) bigger consequence for the ones involved (and DC as a brand) than a flop of one of the lesser known characters.

And due his iconic status it is probably also harder to keep the budget down, since a Superman movie has to be big.

I mean if a movie like Shazam under performs, no one really cares, if a Superman movie flops a few heads may roll at Warner Brothers.
    Part of it has to be the concept of "this is the big leagues of film, so let's really show the full range of Superman's powers!"

Sometimes the character is handicapped by people wanting to see super feats and I wonder where the core of the story even is anymore.

A lot of restraint is required with the Superman IP because it can get very expensive in no time at all. You can't really have practical fights with him anymore if you want to impress the general audience. As technology caught up with showcasing Clark's abilities, I don't think Warner Bros has come as far. They still don't get much about him other than he can lift a ocean liner for fun, so his movies end up feeling a bit like generic superhero films because of it.

Not all of them, mind, but it tends to happen.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Part of it has to be the concept of "this is the big leagues of film, so let's really show the full range of Superman's powers!"

Sometimes the character is handicapped by people wanting to see super feats and I wonder where the core of the story even is anymore.

A lot of restraint is required with the Superman IP because it can get very expensive in no time at all. You can't really have practical fights with him anymore if you want to impress the general audience. As technology caught up with showcasing Clark's abilities, I don't think Warner Bros has come as far. They still don't get much about him other than he can lift a ocean liner for fun, so his movies end up feeling a bit like generic superhero films because of it.

Not all of them, mind, but it tends to happen.
    Reminds me of Saitama a simple character that manages to get the power and the personality aspect of a character and that makes him relatable and loveable. Which is one of the reasons he's so popular.
    I do understand what you mean about the cost. On the OTHER hand... I often have mentioned that if the battle between superman and cyborg had looked like the battle between Saitama and Genos ... both would have a lot more fans, but cyborg would have tremendously more.

Yet... no one even rivals him. It was a pretty bad showing for the league and solidly put me in the mind of "Why not have clark just throw it in to the sun"...

so I do feel the sting of certain characters being the center of everything too.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

But imo Batman Begins still took a hit from Batman & Robin, it's sequels made 3 times as much money at their opening weeks ends as Batman Begins made.
    Oh, I agree. Though it was still financially successful, Batman Begins would have made a lot more money following a better film.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?