Default Current Superman/Action Comics

It has been a while since i posted here, hope that you are all well.

My last Superman reading was the Man of Steel mini by Bendis and i stopped after that because i realized that i grow tired of his quirks since his Iron Man run. But i'm curious to know, how has been after almost 50 issues with the Man of Tomorrow, do you recomend me to read it or do you find it lacking.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

The only universally shared opinion on Bendis' Superman you will find here is that it's polarizing. Some of us love it, some of us hate it. Some of us loved it at first, and now hate it. There's probably someone who hated it and then ended up loving it too.....though maybe that's a viewpoint I haven't actually seen here......

It just depends on what you want out of your Superman. I will tell you this; whether the books are to your liking or not, the quality of the craft is way better than his last few years at Marvel. You might still not like his writing style, but changing companies really breathed a second wind into the man.

I'd say you're likely to find echoes of all the typical Bendis-isms here; drawn out/deconstructed plots, Bendis-speak dialogue, dropped or underwhelming subplots....all the usual Bendis flaws. But for the most part, they're not nearly as bad as those last few Marvel runs. And to his credit, I think the things Bendis does well, he's doing better here too.

I think the first half of his Action was much, much better than the MoS mini (last few issues have picked up too, we'll see where it goes), and the second half of his Superman has been too. Flaws and all. But whatever your opinions of the MoS mini are, you're not going to find radically different books now.
    Last edited by Ascended; 07-21-2020 at 06:50 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

As someone who thought his Iron Man was some of his worst work, on par with Guardians of the Galaxy, I would say his Superman has been on par with his Avengers work. For me that’s some of his best work, although not as good as his Ultimate Spider-Man. If you’ve followed Bendis over at Marvel, you know his tropes and you know what generally you expect. He’s reigned in his worst excesses since moving over to DC, but it’s still Bendis. I have enjoyed his work a lot for what it’s worth. The first half of his Action has some great art so that’s worth checking out. I enjoyed the current issue of Action that came out today, but now Romita Jr. is on art so it can be pretty damn rough at points. I like his Superman a lot personally although it features Rogal from Man of Steel so bare that in mind.

In short I recommend checking it out if you liked Bendis before and weren’t that attached to the Rebirth status quo.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Welcome back. I was a little jealous that you were still posting on the Batman board haha.

I'm on the fence, trying to decide if I should catch up with Action. There's a lot of interesting stuff, but every time I look it seems like it's treading the water of what was set up in the first year or so. I just don't get a feel that it's what it could be.

Superman is fun. I haven't read #23 yet but the first 22 issues should be a good binge.

Both titles tie into his other work and specials, but I have a peace about ignoring those (well, I'll get into his Legion soon enough).
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Welcome back. I was a little jealous that you were still posting on the Batman board haha.
    Well, i pretty much stopped reading anything Superman related so i couldb't coment much .

Thanks to all you for the recomendations, i will give the first arc of both AC and Superman a try.

Also, what do you think of the Tom King Superman mini.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

You mean that Wal-Mart first thing with Kubert?

I didn't read the whole series, admittedly. Got like, three, four issues in and dropped it. So take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

I think if you want classic Superman doing classic Superman type things, it's right up your alley. I think if you're a little burned out on the "same old same old," and you want to see something a little different, you'll still appreciate the quality of the craft but you might find yourself a tad bored. That's what happened with me anyway. From what I saw it's well done but it's pretty basic. Decent writing, solid art (hard to go wrong with Kubert), but you're not gonna see anything new here.

But that was just my reaction, and right now I'm all about exploring the next phase of Clark's life and seeing where things go instead of just cycling around the basic status quo I've been reading about for twenty years. You might not be nearly as bored as I was.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I think Bendis has a good voice for Clark himself even if I haven't really cared for some of the story lines he's written. But I'm a trade waiter when it comes to Bendis work specifically so I'm a bit behind when it comes to anyone reading monthly.

Haven't been reading any of his Legion or YJ stuff but those teams never really interested beyond their connections to other franchises.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    You mean that Wal-Mart first thing with Kubert?

I didn't read the whole series, admittedly. Got like, three, four issues in and dropped it. So take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

I think if you want classic Superman doing classic Superman type things, it's right up your alley. I think if you're a little burned out on the "same old same old," and you want to see something a little different, you'll still appreciate the quality of the craft but you might find yourself a tad bored. That's what happened with me anyway. From what I saw it's well done but it's pretty basic. Decent writing, solid art (hard to go wrong with Kubert), but you're not gonna see anything new here.

But that was just my reaction, and right now I'm all about exploring the next phase of Clark's life and seeing where things go instead of just cycling around the basic status quo I've been reading about for twenty years. You might not be nearly as bored as I was.
    Yeah, part of me is really glad people like it and I think both creators are great, but for me it just went through the motions. It's a little different if I'm talking about it with someone unfamiliar with Superman but I'm not. Smashes the Klan would be a good mini recommendation and I liked Year One better as well, with its ambition despite its weird flaws.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

It’s the most I’ve enjoyed Superman since Morrison’s new52 Action run. Bendis does have a great handle on the Superman voice/character I’ll give him that.

I’d go with Superman over Action. I liked Action in the beginning when it had a street level/underground Metropolis vibe, but then between Leviathan and the year of the villain stuff it just got too much for me.

The Superman title has been pretty good the whole time even if the first story lasted too long. This last arc was great and issue #18 is probably the best single issue of the whole run.

All in all I’d give it a thumbs up. I’d never read Bendis Marvel stuff so he’s actually new for me. He does have some ticks that gets on my nerves but it’s not garbage like I was worried it was gonna be based on initial comments and reactions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Yeah, part of me is really glad people like it and I think both creators are great, but for me it just went through the motions. It's a little different if I'm talking about it with someone unfamiliar with Superman but I'm not. Smashes the Klan would be a good mini recommendation and I liked Year One better as well, with its ambition despite its weird flaws.
    Yeah I think if I was talking to a non-fan who was curious about getting into the character I'd be willing to recommend King's mini as a good example of a modern classic Superman, flaws and all (the thing with Lois, man.....wth). But for established readers it's nothing new. If you want a back to basics approach it'd be refreshing I'm sure.

And Smashes the Klan is always a great recommendation. Arguably the best Superman we've seen since All-Star. And I think Year One was more interesting and entertaining than King, simply for the novelty of seeing some different ideas thrown out there. Lots of problems in that book but some really fun ideas too.

~ Black Panther.

Thank you for recomendations again, i'm surprised that King didn't do something more weird based on preferences, but i haven't.read a Superman book since Man of Steel maybe i'll check it and i definetly reading Superman Smashes the Klan to finally see what the deal is, besides the title sounds cool.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona