Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Best and Worst CGI but no CGI movie

What are your favourite Movies that could not have been done without CGI but at the same time could still be enjoyed without the CGI? Does this make any sense?

I enjoyed Titanic, Spiderman 2 and Avengers 1. They all needed CGI. Not the biggest fan of Avatar , Spiderman 3 or Avengers 2 though they needed the same amount of CGI.

Its the butterfly effect of Steven Spielberg. He broke into Hollywood as this young director that could not make mainstream movies with lots and tons of CGI. Jaws, Indiana Jones and ET. Hollywood started to misuse his style and then came many mindless CGI blockbusters movies such as Transformers and Godzilla 97.

How many movies today can you still enjoy without the CGI and please list them.

Worst. Steppenwolf in Justice League.
    I thought Godzilla 97 was better than the two recent ones.
    And the CGI in Transformers is what makes them fun.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I can't even...

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I can't even...
    They were ponderous and at times boring, unforgivable when it comes to a Godzilla film. Now Shin Godzilla on the other hand...my favorite.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

They were ponderous and at times boring, unforgivable when it comes to a Godzilla film. Now Shin Godzilla on the other hand...my favorite.
    97 wasn't Godzilla though. It had no relation to the character outside the name. Not saying it was a bad monster movie, just saying that monster wasn't Godzilla.

I really liked 2014, and KOTM was kinda fun but stupid. Agreed though that Shin was the best Godzilla of the decade.

Worst. Steppenwolf in Justice League.
    And the CGI in Transformers is what makes them fun.
    Heretic!

Anyway, Scorpion King from The Mummy Returns. Looked like a video game boss back then, and has not aged well. Still a fun movie though.

Extraordinary Member

In terms of the CGI effects the 98 Godzilla has aged pretty badly, though I think they were pretty good for their time. I don't even mind the design. It's just that they nerfed him so much he's not much of a threat and the army are just incompetent idiots who can't aim to save their lives.

The CGI in the 2010s Godzilla movies is much better, though it's wonky on the first 2 forms we see of Shin Godzilla. The CG scenes in the Millennium Toho Godzilla movies are truly horrendous and would have looked bad in a PS2 game.

I know people hate on the stampede scene in the 2005 King Kong, but outside of that one scene I think the CG looks great.

I’m no Godzilla fan, but in the 90s US one they had Godzilla lay raptor eggs so that the rest of the film could take place indoors in the dark with minimal CGI, and also to cash in on Jurassic Park. Also, Godzilla ingeniously evades the army by going around a corner.

Chalk up another fan of the 1997 Matthew Godzoderick movie! I felt it had heart and it was way better than the more recent tripe.

CGI doesn't make a huge difference in Cloverfield or the Quiet Place. You could take the monsters completely out of Quiet Place and just have sounds to accomplish the same level of terror.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Here's the thing about the 97 Godzilla movie to a Godzilla fan - imagine if you hadn't gotten a big Hollywood Batman movie. Burton, Nolan, there's just never been one before. And then you finally get one... but they thought he needed fixing, so instead of dressing like a flying mammal he dresses like a baseball bat, and if instead of fighting crime he just runs away from and evades every fight, and then is defeated by a lucky punch by some wimp. It's kind of like that. Maybe it's a good movie, maybe it's a lot of fun, maybe the more faithful movies you get 20 years later aren't received as well by non-Batman fans who talk about how they're a bit plodding in spots. Would you still think that Baseball Bat costumed Batman who doesn't fight and has a glass jaw is a good Batman movie? For Godzilla fans, whatever the quality of the 97 film, it feels as not-Godzilla-like as that Batman movie I made up feels nothing like Batman.

And I actually like the 97 Godzilla movie as a monster movie. It's just not a Godzilla movie to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    97 wasn't Godzilla though. It had no relation to the character outside the name. Not saying it was a bad monster movie, just saying that monster wasn't Godzilla.

I really liked 2014, and KOTM was kinda fun but stupid. Agreed though that Shin was the best Godzilla of the decade.
    I agree, it was more a remake of The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms. But it was fun.

I agree, it was more a remake of The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms. But it was fun.
    No argument there. But they didn't call it The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, which is the problem. You have a movie called Godzilla where nothing resembling the title character appeared. You can like a movie as a good entry in the genre, but think that it doesn't at all belong in a certain franchise. It's a good monster movie, but possibly the worst Godzilla movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Heretic!

Anyway, Scorpion King from The Mummy Returns. Looked like a video game boss back then, and has not aged well. Still a fun movie though.
    Hasn't aged well? It didn't look good back then!

Let's face it, though- any CGI we thought looked good back in the 90's and early Aughts pretty much looks terrible today. Blade 2 is a good example- CGI Spider-Blade looks worse today than he looked back when the movie came out, and he looked goofy back then.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post

Let's face it, though- any CGI we thought looked good back in the 90's and early Aughts pretty much looks terrible today. Blade 2 is a good example- CGI Spider-Blade looks worse today than he looked back when the movie came out, and he looked goofy back then.
    Oh Blade! Still good today no matter the CGI.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post

Gollum from the Lord of the Rings trilogy still holds up.