Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

The Shrine ...(horror movie) absolute jem

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Naked Weapon.

Twas my introduction to Maggie Q back when I was a Movie Gallery store manager. Saw the cover, and was like wtf is this. Saw from the write up that it was an action movie, took it home to watch it and loved it. Been a fan of hers since.

Spectacular Member

True Romance. Christian Slater, Patricia Arquette, Christopher Walken, Gary Oldman, Dennis Hopper... the cast is unreal, and the title is misleading.

Extraordinary Member

In The Company Of Men

A dark comedy starring Aaron Eckhart and Stacy Edwards. It is very politically incorrect and you'll kick yourself for laughing at most of the humor. Definitely a movie for guys.

There was a mostly forgotten made for television movie called "Prototype" that was really good.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084546/

Even the Wikipedia description doesn't do it justice. It truly explored the concept.
    Power with Girl is better.

Mighty Member

Lucky Number Slevin

Fantastic crime/mistaken identity flick. Josh Hartnett, Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Lucy Liu and Ben Kingsley. Brilliantly plotted, beautifully acted. And utterly quotable.

Quote Originally Posted by csmith25 View Post
    True Romance. Christian Slater, Patricia Arquette, Christopher Walken, Gary Oldman, Dennis Hopper... the cast is unreal, and the title is misleading.
    Don't forget Bronson Pinchot, Val Kilmer as "Elvis", a young Brad Pitt cameo and of course it had that epic fight scene between Patricia Arquette and James Gandolfini.

Not sure if this counts, but Sneakers is one of my all-time favorite movies that it seems not many people have heard of.

Robert Redford, Sidney Poitier, Dan Akroyd, David Straithern and River Phoenix as a security company that breaks into places to stop others from breaking into places.

Toss in Mary McDonnell and Ben Kingsley and the cast was, imo, perfect.

Mighty Member

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
    I loved this film. It should have done better.

Akira Kurosawa is always lauded for his samurai films, but I loved "Ikiru" which was a contemporary film about a seemingly inconsequential civil servant (the main guy from "7 Samurai" btw) who finds out he has cancer and spends the rest of the movie trying to do one meaningful thing with his life in the time he has left.

And on the other end of the spectrum, I really liked "What's Your Number?" an Anna Faris rom-com with Captain America and the Falcon (and Star-lord - oh, and also Starman) that not only has the winning chemistry of the two leads that any rom-com needs, but is almost a class in the formula, where all the pieces fulfill their function and every scene - if not every line - advances the plot and pays off later exactly when it needs to. It's totally predictable and not a great movie, but I can't help but admire its efficiency. And it's ultimately fun. Oh, and so is the Meg Ryan rom-com "French Kiss."

Speaking of Meg Ryan, I think my favorite Denzel Washington movie might be "Courage Under Fire." Ryan stole a lot of attention with her dramatic turn, (and she does a fine job) but Denzel is the star, playing a borderline alcoholic, military man trying to recover from his trauma in the war while investigating the events surrounding Ryan's character as she is a potential candidate for the medal of Honor. Matt Damon, Scott Glenn and Lou Diamond Philips also give really good supporting performances.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 08-01-2020 at 03:55 AM.

Not sure how obscure it is but i like a lot Dark City. (1998)

House of Strangers (1949) comes to mind. Noir/family melodrama—sins of the father type thing—with Edward G. Robinson, Richard Conte and Susan Hayward. I don’t think it pops up on any best-of noir lists, but it was very satisfying to me.

Dog Soldiers (2002) - A really fun Werewolf movie that I just happened to stumble on years ago while watching TV

Labyrinth (1986) - Not really hidden since it gained quite a cult following, but I loved watching this as a kid.

A Little Princess (1995) - Probably not considered that hidden either now, but it originally didn't perform well in theaters, but did much better on home release.

If you haven't watched Sing Street, you should do so ASAP. This movie is so full of charm and wonderful music. A fantastic movie that I watched after hearing rave reviews on Screen Junkies.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/