Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

The Fame , The Glory , The NUTS!

Congrats SquirrelMan!

and as always the only important "rule"
    10) Have Fun!

Yay, SquirrelMan!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Congratulations, SquirrelMan!
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    Congratulations to SquirrelMan, commiserations to Güicho, and thanks to ChadH and Rob Allen for the votes.

And for future reference, I think if you are going to point someone's entry as ineligible, it is polite to do so before voting starts so that have enough time to select a new entry.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    And to be honest, I had forgotten that part about the rules and just assumed publications about comic books were OK. Now I know for sure. But it would have been nice to have been reminded.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    And to be honest, I had forgotten that part about the rules and just assumed publications about comic books were OK. Now I know for sure. But it would have been nice to have been reminded.
    True, sorry. Rule 7 gets in the way sometimes.
    7) It's Okay to Discuss the Covers but if you Think Someone's Entry Doesn't Fit the Theme or Violates the Rules, you Don't need to Argue it in the thread, Simply Don't Vote for It!
    But I guess we should mention it when a post doesn't fit to give the poster a chance to change their entry.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Congratulations to Squirrel Man for a Marvelous and Unbeatable cover. My praise of the USG series is real and heartfelt as it's truly a book for everyone, having in-jokes for long time fans, and being a great book for kids. Well done, sir. However, you are causing me to start searching for this variant. Grrrrrrr

In the peak of the week where the captain goes on about what he's learned, the real point he was not really aware of was the amount of homages in the group shot category. But the focus of this week was the way we handle our rules. I have long known there are differences in acceptance of covers and not. The concept of the entry being an actual comic book would seem to be clear, but there are exceptions which seem to be OK. Had I thought about it, Guicho's cover should have stuck out to me, but damn, the Darwyn Cooke art was pretty much the focus. The Steranko cover submitted by Iron Maiden I knew wasn't a fit, but damn, an oversize Steranko wraparound (and the cover I wanted to get the artist to autograph last April, before his appearance was COVID-cancelled) certainly got one of my HMs. Heck, even my cover was a pairing of two issues connecting image and not technically a cover (singular). Perhaps an personal message instead of a post would fit for noting a cover not fitting the rules. Some of us would change, others might stand their ground on the cover but keeping the noting private and polite maintains our dignity.

And thanks to Iron Maiden for the appreciated vote.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Congratulations to Squirrel Man for a Marvelous and Unbeatable cover. My praise of the USG series is real and heartfelt as it's truly a book for everyone, having in-jokes for long time fans, and being a great book for kids. Well done, sir. However, you are causing me to start searching for this variant. Grrrrrrr

In the peak of the week where the captain goes on about what he's learned, the real point he was not really aware of was the amount of homages in the group shot category. But the focus of this week was the way we handle our rules. I have long known there are differences in acceptance of covers and not. The concept of the entry being an actual comic book would seem to be clear, but there are exceptions which seem to be OK. Had I thought about it, Guicho's cover should have stuck out to me, but damn, the Darwyn Cooke art was pretty much the focus. The Steranko cover submitted by Iron Maiden I knew wasn't a fit, but damn, an oversize Steranko wraparound (and the cover I wanted to get the artist to autograph last April, before his appearance was COVID-cancelled) certainly got one of my HMs. Heck, even my cover was a pairing of two issues connecting image and not technically a cover (singular). Perhaps an personal message instead of a post would fit for noting a cover not fitting the rules. Some of us would change, others might stand their ground on the cover but keeping the noting private and polite maintains our dignity.

And thanks to Iron Maiden for the appreciated vote.
    On this subject, I remember a couple months or so back when I started reading/contributing to these threads, someone posted a MAD Magazine cover (of Superman w. a Mad Magazine blocking his face and Alfred E. Newman’s face peeking out). I can’t remember if it won but it got votes.

My question is, is MAD Magazine considered a comic?
    In this article...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.new...d-magazine/amp

...it says MAD got around the seduction of the innocent/creation of the comics code debacle by changing its format to fall under the heading of being a magazine, and so not subject to the same rules as comics.
    Just wondering, since this thread turned into a rule review and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    On this subject, I remember a couple months or so back when I started reading/contributing to these threads, someone posted a MAD Magazine cover (of Superman w. a Mad Magazine blocking his face and Alfred E. Newman’s face peeking out). I can’t remember if it won but it got votes.

My question is, is MAD Magazine considered a comic?
    In this article...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.new...d-magazine/amp

...it says MAD got around the seduction of the innocent/creation of the comics code debacle by changing its format to fall under the heading of being a magazine, and so not subject to the same rules as comics.
    Just wondering, since this thread turned into a rule review and all.
    MAD started as a comic and increased its size to avoid the code. It's considered a comic like magazines such as Savage Sword of Conan. I would consider the stories with panels with word balloons telling stories as the defining facor. Now looking at other magazines with comic sections such as Boys' Life and National Lampoon is a different story. There really is no defining line and that serves to allow us to discuss and change our minds. And rule reviews do happen. This is not a unique occurance.

Sounds like a firm maybe, maybe not. Thanks!

Congratulations Squirrelman.
    Thanks for the votes nx01a and Conn Seanery.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    MAD started as a comic and increased its size to avoid the code. It's considered a comic like magazines such as Savage Sword of Conan. I would consider the stories with panels with word balloons telling stories as the defining facor. Now looking at other magazines with comic sections such as Boys' Life and National Lampoon is a different story. There really is no defining line and that serves to allow us to discuss and change our minds. And rule reviews do happen. This is not a unique occurance.
    The way I have always understood it:

Mad (and Cracked and Crazy, etc.), the Marvel mags (SSOC, Hulk, Marvel Preview, etc.), the Warren mags (Eerie, Creepy, Vampirella etc.), Epic Illustrated, Heavy Metal and the like have always been allowed. It's not the size or format of the product, but the contents that was the deciding factor. Stories told using panels an pages, art and text are allowable. Prose articles or prose stories not so much no matter the format. A paperback book such as the Pocket Books or Tempo books that have b&w or color reprints of comics would be fine, as it is a bit like a proto-trade. The cover for a Superman or Spider-Man prose novel, would not be allowed as there are no comics inside.

But you can't eliminate everything that has text only stories in it, as all comics prior to the change in postal codes were required to have at least 1 text story in them to qualify for certain postal rates so all Golden age comics and some comics even into the Bronze Age had text stories included. I mean Stan Lee's first comic work was a prose Captain America story (i.e. text only) that appeared in Captain America Comics #3 (I'm foggy on the exact issue number) but the cover for that comic would still be eligible for this contest despite there being a text story in there.

And I believe the point of rule 7 (don't criticize covers just don't vote for them) is to keep people from disparaging others choices they don't like. Letting someone know their cover isn't eligible is akin to letting someone know another poster beat them to a cover they posted so they can change it and post a valid entry. It's not a criticism of said cover, just a fyi kind of thing.

All that said, I voted for Guicho's cover anyways because well...Darwyn. And I will almost always vote for anything Darwyn.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

And before I forget ..... Congrats to Squirrelman

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post

All that said, I voted for Guicho's cover anyways because well...Darwyn. And I will almost always vote for anything Darwyn.

-M
    I stand by Darwyn And Guicho!

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    The way I have always understood it:

Mad (and Cracked and Crazy, etc.), the Marvel mags (SSOC, Hulk, Marvel Preview, etc.), the Warren mags (Eerie, Creepy, Vampirella etc.), Epic Illustrated, Heavy Metal and the like have always been allowed. It's not the size or format of the product, but the contents that was the deciding factor. Stories told using panels an pages, art and text are allowable. Prose articles or prose stories not so much no matter the format. A paperback book such as the Pocket Books or Tempo books that have b&w or color reprints of comics would be fine, as it is a bit like a proto-trade. The cover for a Superman or Spider-Man prose novel, would not be allowed as there are no comics inside.

But you can't eliminate everything that has text only stories in it, as all comics prior to the change in postal codes were required to have at least 1 text story in them to qualify for certain postal rates so all Golden age comics and some comics even into the Bronze Age had text stories included. I mean Stan Lee's first comic work was a prose Captain America story (i.e. text only) that appeared in Captain America Comics #3 (I'm foggy on the exact issue number) but the cover for that comic would still be eligible for this contest despite there being a text story in there.

And I believe the point of rule 7 (don't criticize covers just don't vote for them) is to keep people from disparaging others choices they don't like. Letting someone know their cover isn't eligible is akin to letting someone know another poster beat them to a cover they posted so they can change it and post a valid entry. It's not a criticism of said cover, just a fyi kind of thing.

-M
    I agree with everything in this post. Prose publications like Amazing Stories and the like are not allowed. Pulps are not allowed.
    I mean, you know it when you see it. An actual book written by someone with other peoples comics in it really isn't a comic. It's a book ABOUT comics.
    That said, a book of Peanuts or Calvin and Hobbs comics is allowable because it falls under the category of a collected volume of illustrations published by a single writer/artist and it is not based on prose.
    This is what I'm given to understand based on previous contests. Any of the people who participated before the 2014 CBRmageddon are free to correct me.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    Congratulations to SquirrelMan, commiserations to Güicho, and thanks to ChadH and Rob Allen for the votes.

And for future reference, I think if you are going to point someone's entry as ineligible, it is polite to do so before voting starts so that have enough time to select a new entry.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Yeah, someone should have given him a heads up. It's not nice to kick all the votes after the fact.