Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

It was okay. The best part was the ending.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    No. Its akin to a device that cloaks you from devices that detect melanin like, say, facial recognition
    No it would also destroy melanin as a side effect is this destroys the x-gene. It also would strip you of your melanin so that you can "pass"

It doesn’t destroy the X-gene though. If someone adapted it, then maybe, but the device as it existed wouldn’t.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by misty101 View Post
    No. Explain please?
    read history of marvel universe

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Franklin's "you didn't listen to me" is nonsense...he did not give them a chance to listen to what he wanted. They had the confrontation with the X-Men, Kitty sneaked him out and meandered him towards the gate and after he couldn't go thru he went to his room and sulked before he ran away. Yes they should have talked about it...but at the end of the day his parents are his parents and if they say "no" the answer is "no".

The part I absolutely hate is how Franklin causes all the problems in this series and basically has a net zero consequences. Trusting Doom is like shoving your hand into the blades of a lawnmower and acting surprised at the carnage.

Oh, he's "powerless" now. Give me a break. He's still powerful as hell as his appearances in the FF book are concerned.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

If you are designing a machine and it occurs to you that it could potentially be used for a genocide, then you do not make the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by braddocks View Post
    It doesn’t destroy the X-gene though. If someone adapted it, then maybe, but the device as it existed wouldn’t.
    Is it not implied that Reeds machine has damaged Franklins x-gene?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    No it would also destroy melanin as a side effect is this destroys the x-gene. It also would strip you of your melanin so that you can "pass"
    As it was described it superimposes a "ghost gene" over the x-gene, but does not replace or disable it as it was not designed for this purpose (but could theoretically be). This ghost gene washed out in 10 days. It does not hamper the existing x-gene in operation and the mutant can use their powers.

However, xavier and mags concern is the "theoretical" application.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare View Post
    Wow didn't take long for people to start defending the indefensible. So as long as professor x/magneto/mutants(by extension) feel justified they can just violate a persons liberty? Ah OK, that won't lead to any adverse consequences which could have been completely avoided.
    Yep. I’m not a Reed fan and I love Xavier and Mags way more than Reed. But what they did at the end was wrong.

Is it not implied that Reeds machine has damaged Franklins x-gene?
    I don’t think so. Currently, Franklin’s power loss is explained as him tapping out after recreating the multiverse, and potentially losing connection to the source of his power.

As it was described it superimposes a "ghost gene" over the x-gene, but does not replace or disable it as it was not designed for this purpose (but could theoretically be). This ghost gene washed out in 10 days. It does not hamper the existing x-gene in operation and the mutant can use their powers.

However, xavier and mags concern is the "theoretical" application.
    It does cut off a mutant from its powers. It may not have been intended for that use but Xavier states it does.

Astonishing Member

A better comparison instead of a gun is gunpowder, that was created as a side effect from medicinal purposes and thus also called "fire medicine". Sure you can heal people.... but you can also kill them by turning similar compounds into an explosive.
    Alfred Nobel created Dynamite in an attempt to make nitroglycerin saver to transport and detonate for blasting rocks in construction or mining work. Then there are the various medical drugs created for treating conditions or helping with pains, which have since been been abused for getting high, perfomance enhancements or both.
    The list of inventions created with good intentions and misused is long.

As for X-gene supressors. It seems such devices or treatments are actualy relatively commonly created in the Marvel universes. Perhaps because the X-gene is both quite well understood and suprisingly fragile.
    Since the origin of any mutant's super powers can be pinpointed to a single known source, it means that it's much easier to research, understand and manipulate it. Once these methods are developed they can then be applied to any other mutant too.
    Meanwhile with the X-gene being needed to sustain powers, including physical changes, it also seems to be quite an easy target for supression or removale. Energy beams, energy fields, magic, even some mutant's powers. The X-men history has shown quite a few methods for that.
    Infact with mutants existing who's powers are able to, or entirely based around supressing other mutants powers, it seems unavoidable that someone would find a way to replicate their effect.
    Which makes preventing the invention of such devices or treatments seem like a futile task. Sooner or later someone will figure out the same process or even create a new one.

This whole topic makes me wonder how the krakoan society would react to a mutant being born who's entire powers are to downright dissolve other mutants X-genes?

BANNED

It does cut off a mutant from its powers. It may not have been intended for that use but Xavier states it does.
    xavier states that it can be used for that purpose, not that it was used for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    This whole topic makes me wonder how the krakoan society would react to a mutant being born who's entire powers are to downright dissolve other mutants X-genes?
    It's kind of a strawman point, but xavier would obviously block that mutants powers if possible like he did with matthew malloy.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stormultt Divine View Post
    Beautifully done though right here.

I love this.

Reed and Doom got checked in this issue lol!
    And rightfully so.
    I disagree....what Xavier did was highly unethical. Why not sit down and talk about the issues? That's what normal, intelligent people would do. Instead he does the equivalent of a selective lobotomy.

As for Doom, he conceded pretty quickly which if I were them would make me highly suspicious . His conversation with Val at the end where they discuss evolution may have something to do with it...or maybe not. He may have been collecting data for some future project and got all he needed from this experiment. Then again it may never be revisited in another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Kitty's new heavy density powers could be cool. That's how they worked in the Ultimate Universe

And unlike Vision she should now be able to make other people dense as a diamond through physical contact, the way she can phase other people with her
    Except she is currently dead now and if this took place before that then clearly continuinty is thrown out the window.