Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast

Default X-Men Fantastic Four # 4 (of 4) Review & Spoilers

I have been casually reading this mini, but this if the first issue where I actually enjoyed the character interactions and resolutions.

A summery; we start off where we left off, the Doom Bots converge on the mutants and FF. Kitty tries to get to Franklin, but Doom states he knows her powers better than her and triggers a yet unknown part of her powers to manipulate her density. Seems like 616 Kitty is gonna take a page from her Ultimate counterpart. though she's still MIA right now Sue goes to help Emma and the team fight the Doombots, while Kitty uses willpower to overcome Doom scrambling her powers. She phases through Doom by surprise, scrambling the suit, and freeing Franklin. Franklin then uses his power to end the fight in a bright flash of light. The teams rescue the hostage mutants and both the FF/X-Men apologize for how they handled and escalated the situation. A bit that Sue outright tells them she does not agree with some of Krakoa's mission statements. The FF decide to let Franklin visit the island and help train his powers, which he still loses the more he uses them but the island seems to circumvent some of the effects to decrease the loss.

The book ends on a high note, as Magneto and Charles come back with Franklin through a gate to the FFs home after a training session on Krakoa, with an intent to pay Reed a visit. Charles states the the machine Richard was using didn't only track mutants but has the ability to also erase/harm the X-gene and so he is deciding to wipe Reeds memory of how to make it forever. Charles states the memory wipe will be like taking away pieces of a jig saw puzzle that he can never put together again and that if he were still on the Illumanti he would choose to erase the memory of him ever doing it. But he wants Reed to do know he did this, for him to remember them not-so-subtly threatening Reed. Despite the relatively cordial goodbye on Latveria, it seems like Charles and Magneto wanted to leave Reed with little doubt that they wouldn't tolerate reckless use of his inventions if they can be used to harm mutants. They walk away and Reed seems stunned.

Anyway this was a better ending and resolution then I was hoping for and I was pleasantly surprised. Suppose this means whenever Kitty gets back she'll be using a new aspect to her powers.

The ending was better than expected but at the end of the day both Reed and Xavier are jerks.

Creating a device that can erase the X-Gene is not tolerable, Xavier and Magneto giving that kind of warning and telepathic attack on Reed, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    The ending was better than expected but at the end of the day both Reed and Xavier are jerks.

Creating a device that can erase the X-Gene is not tolerable, Xavier and Magneto giving that kind of warning and telepathic attack on Reed, either.
    Hard disagree. What always happens is Reed or Tony make tech out of “curiosity’s sake” then it falls into anti-mutant hands who proceed to kill mutants with it. They should be stopped at the root.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Hard disagree. What always happens is Reed or Tony make tech out of “curiosity’s sake” then it falls into anti-mutant hands who proceed to kill mutants with it. They should be stopped at the root.
    They should be stopped, but Xavier could have tried to explain it differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Yeah, I agree. This is like Sol Hammer or the Stark Sentinels. Reed and Tony are completely free to do what they want without caring about consequences. It was about time someone put one of them in their place.

This event was pointless but I was happy to see the X-Men come out of it as heroes and Sue acknowledging she over reacted (yo anti-Krakoan CBR-ers, even Sue said she did too much).

Mighty Member

Personally, I would have had Doom's machine and the interference with such a device completely obliterate Franklin's x-gene. Then turn him into a villain.

Or turn him into a pile of ash.

Astonishing Member

I mean it depends. It's not unreasonable for people to develop tech that neutralizes powers, regardless of the type. We've seen that for gamma mutates, aliens, etc. It comes down to who has access to that tech and what their intentions are. Tony and Reed are prone to having their tech stolen and exploited by factions with an anti-mutant bias.

So they probably shouldn't have a monopoly on mutant power neutralizers. And since no organization is completely impenetrable one could argue no one should have it because it will nearly always end up in the wrong hands.

But then the alternative is that humans don't have a standard method to take down mutants in the cases where they do pose a legitimate threat or commit crimes. There is no solution that can please everyone but I see both sides of the issue.

I'd like to see franklin on some x-team

This mini-series was very...poorly executed though.

I wonder why they removed Storm's headshot from the intro page.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I mean it depends. It's not unreasonable for people to develop tech that neutralizes powers, regardless of the type. We've seen that for gamma mutates, aliens, etc. It comes down to who has access to that tech and what their intentions are. Tony and Reed are prone to having their tech stolen and exploited by factions with an anti-mutant bias.

So they probably shouldn't have a monopoly on mutant power neutralizers. And since no organization is completely impenetrable one could argue no one should have it because it will nearly always end up in the wrong hands.

But then the alternative is that humans don't have a standard method to take down mutants in the cases where they do pose a legitimate threat or commit crimes. There is no solution that can please everyone but I see both sides of the issue.
    Standard power dampeners work on mutants. When you're making specific technology for the mutant gene, that's when it's problematic.

I liked Franklin’s little speech at the end, but the conclusion made this whole mini seem pointless. He’s basically taking after school classes in Krakoa so nobody had to be this pressed.

Beautifully done though right here.

I love this.

Reed and Doom got checked in this issue lol!
    And rightfully so.

BANNED

Has anyone ever gone after the High Evolutionary for his technology that can erase the X-Gene?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I liked Franklin’s little speech at the end, but the conclusion made this whole mini seem pointless. He’s basically taking after school classes in Krakoa so nobody had to be this pressed.
    So they’re calling it “afternoon classes” huh?

Sure, yeah. We know what’s up.

Kitty's new heavy density powers could be cool. That's how they worked in the Ultimate Universe

And unlike Vision she should now be able to make other people dense as a diamond through physical contact, the way she can phase other people with her