Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Stormultt Divine View Post
    So...he in SOME form or fashion PLAYED with and/or around the x-gene?
    Gotcha.

He was wrong.

Urm.... No he didn't, that's the point! Franklin could still use his powers. The X-Gene wasn't touched, not really sure what is difficult about this concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    Reed has been doing too much messed up stuff, he had it coming. It's like Forge's power dampening devices. People are going to weaponized it, especially considering how he handles his tech (Orchis says hello).

Reed and Stark have done so much crazy stuff without paying any consequences in the past with their tech. And this tech could also be used to completely erase the mutant gene. It had to go.
    So in your opinion you're past should dictate your future? If that's the case I can't wait for the bell to toll for the X-crowd for all the messed up things they've done.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Literally what it does is hide it while genetic manipulation. That technology could be used to remove Gen X, Reed himself admits. Imagine if someone managed to infiltrate that technology into Krakoa's gene banks. They could erase the powers of all mutants, forever. That technology is insanely dangerous to mutants, like a nuke.
    We seem to have very different ideas of what genetic manipulation is. In my mind if Reed rewrote his son's DNA to make it invisible to Krakoan tech then yes that is genetic manipulation. However that isn't what happened. So instead of talking it out with Reed, who has to be one of the most reasonable people in the MU, Charles and Eric act as judge, jury and executioner for a pre-crime. Their actions were morally wrong and foolish. Reed Richards isn't the only super genius in the MU and making an enemy out of a friend was a dumb move. I can't wait for all the evil super geniuses to have the same idea and do the exact same thing Reed did. You can't stop progress.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Isn't that what Reed did to his son, and conceptually, mutants in general? The leaders of a mutant nation have every right to respond.
    Make peace not war! If the mutant nation of Krakoa want to turn not only the supervillain community, but the superhero community into enemies so be it!. We can all sit back and watch the mutants get decimated!
    Last edited by Knightmare; 07-22-2020 at 12:03 PM.

Yeah that last bit with Charles felt gross to me. No excusing what Reed did, but seeing Chuck so casually mess with his mind and then be like “You should be grateful I didn’t violate you more,” was not it.

Power dampeners sometimes don't work with magic. But that shouldn't worry humans because they have so many more wizards than Krakoa (which has like ... four or five mutants that use magic).

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare View Post
    Urm.... No he didn't, that's the point! Franklin could still use his powers. The X-Gene wasn't touched, not really sure what is difficult about this concept.
    This is like you say inventing a gun is OK because I'm only going to use it to shoot cans.

Astonishing Member

Krakoa really doesn't need power dampeners. Krakoa IS a power dampener. If they need to lock up any mutant they just need Doug to tell Krakoa "Big guy, gobble up this mutant's psionic energy until he can no longer use his powers".

That technology can only be used against them, not in their favor. It is normal that they do not want it to exist.
    We're talking about humans, not mutants on Krakoa. The latter have a built in mechanism to deal with problematic mutants who are too dangerous to be trusted with powers. Humans don't, which is why it makes sense for them to develop anti-X gene tech that can shut down a mutant's abilities temporarily or permanently if they pose a threat.

I've already said that mutants are justified in wanting that tech destroyed. Even if initially created with good, perfectly valid intentions, mutant neutralizers can fall into the wrong hands and be used to oppress mutants. I'm just saying humans are just as justified in wanting to develop it, as there are villainous mutants who pose a security threat. That was the point of my original post.

And making technology that can affect all mutants because of something that hasn’t happened but might doesn’t seem like a good “ends to justify the means.”
    What's that Xavier's justification for shutting it down? "It wasn't used against us, but it might be?"

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    What's that Xavier's justification for shutting it down? "It wasn't used against us, but it might be?"
    It already existed and Reed admitted it could be turned into something that could erase the X-Gene.

The two things are different lol weak rethoric

Anyway, seeing how the technology that Richards has invented works, it is like thisbut replacing "Convert people to dinosaurs" with "Convert my son to human".

Of course they should destroy the risky technology. There is no reason not to. The aggressiveness is probably over the top, I'd imagine Reed would probably let them do it, but reaching for drama is this book's bread and butter.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    You’re saying plot and common sense but Mutants have.... powers. You aren’t explaining why that would bypass power dampening when it’s never happened before. And making technology that can affect all mutants because of something that hasn’t happened but might doesn’t seem like a good “ends to justify the means.”

Like?
    You're saying mutants haven't ever in their publication history managed to overpower a power dampener or couldn't remain a threat after said powers were taken away? A competent group or nation plans for everything. Just because in their experience a mutant hasn't been able to bypass a standard power dampener doesn't mean they can't explore the possibility of exclusively targeting the X-gene. It's like the Hulk. There have been standard ways of trying to contain him but there have been more gamma-specific means of doing so as well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Of course they should destroy the risky technology. There is no reason not to. The aggressiveness is probably over the top, I'd imagine Reed would probably let them do it, but reaching for drama is this book's bread and butter.
    Was Xavier really being that aggressive, though? He just said he wants him to remember that he erased Reed's mind of the dangerous tech he created. If anything it prevented more conflict down the road between the two groups.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    You're saying mutants haven't ever in their publication history managed to overpower a power dampener or couldn't remain a threat after said powers were taken away? A competent group or nation plans for everything. Just because in their experience a mutant hasn't been able to bypass a standard power dampener doesn't mean they can't explore the possibility of exclusively targeting the X-gene. It's like the Hulk. There have been standard ways of trying to contain him but there have been more gamma-specific means of doing so as well.
    This is a vicious circle because the more anti-Hulk technologies they create, the more angry the Hulk becomes. And when the Hulk gets angrier, the more trouble he creates. The simplest thing is to just leave him alone.

With mutants it is the same. Creating anti-mutant technology only fuels mutants' fear and hatred for humans. Every time a human creates a new mutant cure it is the Magneto, Exodus and Apocalypse of the world who say "See? They want to exterminate us". And who can blame the mutants for listening? How can they not fear a technology whose only function is to attack them?

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

I think this issue further confirms that things will continue to escalate greatly and it'll be basically the Marvel Universe Vs. X-Men. Doom will want his revenge and the Code-X device will likely be remade now that Reed Richards knows how much of a threat Mutants are.
    Last edited by PlatinumThorns; 07-22-2020 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    I think this issue further confirms that things will continue to further escalate greatly and it'll be basically the Marvel Universe Vs. X-Men. Doom will want his revenge and the Code-X device will like be remade now that Reed Richards knows how much of a threat Mutants are.
    He literally cannot remake it. If Reed Richards is a hero, he will not try to recreate a technology whose sole function is to eradicate a species. I want to think that the reason he did it the first time was because he was not aware of its risks.

Power dampeners sometimes don't work with magic. But that shouldn't worry humans because they have so many more wizards than Krakoa (which has like ... four or five mutants that use magic).

This is like you say inventing a gun is OK because I'm only going to use it to shoot cans.
    I'm sorry but that is a terrible analogy. Yes inventing a gun is OK. A gun is just an object, it has no intent, no purpose by itself. People provide that.

Reed invented an X-dampner. Does it pose a threat to mutants if it's never used? If you're answer is yes the mutants should just leave the planet, because humans don't need a non lethal response to get rid of mutants, they've sentinels.

By the way, what about Marvel super geniuses who, without adult supervision, always end up creating genocidal gadgets? Pym, Stark, Reed...

Super intelligence is a more dangerous mutation than X-Gene. They think so much about whether they can invent something that they don't stop to think about if they should.