Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    The more they do that with Betsy, the less Betsy seems like.....Betsy. Its a disservice to the character. Kwannon should have came back with clear differences besides black hair (which itself was something Betsy had inconsistently). Marvel hasnt done a good job of establishing who Kwannon is and what makes her different than Betsy was before the switch.
    Agreed. I like where Wells is going with Kwannon, but there's still a lot to be done to differentiate her from Betsy.
    I do hope Wells ignores the whole "Kwannon isn't my real name either" thing from Fallen Angels. And I'd gladly welcome a codename of her own (or a return to Revanche) and obviously her own costume and last name.
    The thing is that Marvel editors probably want her to be as close as possible to Asian Betsy. This way they can have two popular versions of the same character around at the same time. Actually developing Kwannon takes a lot more work and effort.

In her first scene with the X-men, they were talking to her in English and she was trying to communicate with them, but could only speak Japanese. That wasnt about her trying to hold back. The X-men saw her as an enemy but Wolverine was the only one that was able to understand what she was saying

As for the psychic knife, she used it in Mystery in Madripoor so nothing new there. Its not really a sophisticated skill as she was able to create psychic weapons back when she was Revanche. The more advanced telepathic and telekinetic skills that Betsy had were not present in Rosenberg's run bc she had no formal training. There was a gap to explain why she would be more proficient not. Even the English is likely bc Xavier put that in her so she could communicate with the rest as she wasnt skillfull enough to learn languages on her own using her TP
    I took a second look, and yeah you're right. I forgot about part where they asked Wolverine to actually translate. But I don't agree that the psychic knife isn't a sophisticated skill. Remember alllllll the panels where they would say "the focused totality of her psychic powers" (lol friggin Claremont). All in all, I really don't think there's a good explanation for why she can do this and not do that. They're just kind of hoping we don't question it.

I really just want clarity on what Kwannon can do and what Betsy can do.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post

I really just want clarity on what Kwannon can do and what Betsy can do.
    The way I see it is that Kwannon has been retconned into 'Asian Betsy', there're no difference between the two except for their memories.

They both have the same powers and same English speaking ability.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    The way I see it is that Kwannon has been retconned into 'Asian Betsy', there're no difference between the two except for their memories.

They both have the same powers and same English speaking ability.
    Yeah, she's even being called 'Psylocke' now. It just seems like they are kind of trying to keep 'Asian Betsy as Psylocke' while *also* having Captain Britain-Betsy, and Kwannon? She's just gone. Two Betsy's. No waiting.

Four to six Emmas, two Betsys, only one Jean at the moment, as teen Jean went home. What's up with these telepaths?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah, she's even being called 'Psylocke' now. It just seems like they are kind of trying to keep 'Asian Betsy as Psylocke' while *also* having Captain Britain-Betsy, and Kwannon? She's just gone. Two Betsy's. No waiting.

Four to six Emmas, two Betsys, only one Jean at the moment, as teen Jean went home. What's up with these telepaths?
    One Jean????

How could you forget Maddie!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    One Jean????

Heh, wish I could, sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    One Jean????

At least Maddie and Jean are functionally different. We know Maddie is a clone of Jean but the similarties end there. Her personality is completely different, as is the way she is used and her powers work diffrently as well (despite her having TP/TK)

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I do hope Wells ignores the whole "Kwannon isn't my real name either" thing from Fallen Angels.
    No, that was necessary. Kwannon never made sense as her real name. That's not a name somebody would be given in Japan. It was a clear case of Western writers not really caring enough about Japan beyond "ninja and samurai are cool" to think it through.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    No, that was necessary. Kwannon never made sense as her real name. That's not a name somebody would be given in Japan. It was a clear case of Western writers not really caring enough about Japan beyond "ninja and samurai are cool" to think it through.
    I don't think Jim Lee actually intended for Kwannon to be her real name anyway. It just seemed like calling her an 'angel of mercy' fit with the assassin motif he was going for. Her Hand boyfriend, Matsuo, had a real Japanese name, so he wasn't incapable of giving her one as well, if he wanted, so I think Kwannon was just her 'working name.'

I don't think Jim Lee actually intended for Kwannon to be her real name anyway. It just seemed like calling her an 'angel of mercy' fit with the assassin motif he was going for. Her Hand boyfriend, Matsuo, had a real Japanese name, so he wasn't incapable of giving her one as well, if he wanted, so I think Kwannon was just her 'working name.'
    Jim Lee didnt create Kwannon. He was gone by the time she was created. She was a Nicieza and Kubert creation
    Last edited by Havok83; 07-26-2020 at 10:34 AM.

Jim Lee didnt create Kwannon. He was gone by the time she was created. She was a Lobdell and Kubert creation
    Wasn't Kwannon Nicieza's fault for [by his own admission] not realizing/remembering that Betsy was transformed into an Asian ninja, not body swapped?
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Wasn't Kwannon Nicieza's fault for [by his own admission] not realizing/remembering that Betsy was transformed into an Asian ninja, not body swapped?
    You are right. I edited my post. Lobdell didnt get full credits on that book till later. He was strictly on Uncanny at the time

Mighty Member

I am not really interested in an 'Asian Betsy'.

I just love Zeb Wells' writing on this book, it was hilarious and interesting. Too bad he's not writing major X-characters.
    Last edited by ericng; 07-27-2020 at 12:41 AM.

Mighty Member

When the most popular thing about Betsy was that she was an Asian ninja, well, maybe her character just isn't as interesting.

I'm happy that the split with them was done the way it was.

Psylocke became popular cause people thought she was Asian. Therefore, the name should stick with an actual Asian. That's how I became a fan, and I predict that's how most people (meaning non-comic book readers) became fans.

Betsy is now Captain America, and she's still boring I guess... Too bad she always need to steal someone else's identity to be relevant.

Kinda weird seeing Betsy fans act like the white woman was a better Asian character than an actual Asian.
    Last edited by RamaBird; 07-27-2020 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    When the most popular thing about Betsy was that she was an Asian ninja, well, maybe her character just isn't as interesting.

I'm happy that the split with them was done the way it was.

Psylocke became popular cause people thought she was Asian. Therefore, the name should stick with an actual Asian. That's how I became a fan, and I predict that's how most people (meaning non-comic book readers) became fans.

Betsy is now Captain America, and she's still boring I guess... Too bad she always need to steal someone else's identity to be relevant.

Kinda weird seeing Betsy fans act like the white woman was a better Asian character than an actual Asian.
    Betsy is Captain Britian, not Captain America.

She didnt steal anyone's identity to become popular. She was ALWAYS Psylocke as an X-men. She existed as Psylocke long before Kwannon was even a thing. Its her original identity that she owned

Who said Betsy is a better Asian than Kwannon? She is a better character period than Kwannon. She's had over 40 years worth of development and Kwannon's had what like 2-3 and hasnt recieved much development in that short time. Its not much of a contest
    Last edited by Havok83; 07-27-2020 at 10:01 AM.