View Poll Results: How do you like Bendis' DC work?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars: one of the best creators DC has ever had

1 1.20%
  • 4 Stars: among the top talent at DC right now

8 9.64%
  • 3 Stars: flawed but enjoyable

27 32.53%
  • 2 Stars: mediocre at best

27 32.53%
  • 1 Star: can he go back to Marvel, please?

20 24.10%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I gave it 5 and so far, I’m the only one lol!

Other than Batman and occasional other DC titles, I mostly was a Marvel guy. I gave Superman a try because of Bendis. It’s been consistently entertaining. I gave Legion a shot. I had virtually no history with those characters and I love it! It’s probably my favorite DC book. Naomi could easily become a top 5 DC character thanks to Bendis. I think the move to DC rejuvenated Bendis after becoming slightly stale at Marvel. I know his dialogue turns some off but it’s the best it’s been in years to me. I’ve loved his DC work!
    Last edited by Stick Figure; 07-26-2020 at 06:02 PM.

I give him 2 only because i dont want him back at marvel.

Bendis is only good with his own characters ( Naomi was really good) but otherwise he only broke everything else

That’s the double edge sword with Bendis. He is not afraid to break characters from their molds, and has the influence to often do it, and that in itself is not the worst thing. Cause the same old molds can get stale. At the same time to though, after he breaks it sometimes his ideas then just don’t go anywhere.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-27-2020 at 05:13 PM.

I tried to throw away my biases with him, both with the Marvel titles he's done that I hated, and the "molds" that he's already broken with a certain character that I was a big fan of before he came in. But even still I gotta give him a 2. Aside from Naomi, I haven't enjoyed any of what he's been doing with DC. The only reason I didn't give him a one is because so far, the damage he's done to DC is nowhere near comparable to the damage he did to Marvel. He's probably better off here for the time being.

I was really hoping I'd enjoy his Young Justice, at least. Those were characters that I'd been wanting to see back for years. And I felt like he was the right guy to write them....But this current run has been a huge drag, severely weighed down by these uninteresting new characters. I'm actually more disappointed in that than I am with what he's done to the Super family. I at last expected him to **** them up. I had no idea I would be this bored reading a Young Justice title.

Event Leviathan was a drag too. But aside from Naomi, it's the most interesting thing he's done for DC so far. All in all, he seems like a nice enough guy and I appreciate the few good ideas he's had over the course of his career (hello there, Miles Morales). But man, do his cons as a writer outweigh the pros.

Quote Originally Posted by joebleau View Post
    Bendis is only good with his own characters ( Naomi was really good) but otherwise he only broke everything else
    This pretty much sums it up. If they're characters that he's personally created, they're usually pretty good (I say usually because his original characters in Young Justice are about as fun as wet sponge). But when he gets a hold of pre-existing characters, he often has this compulsive need to reinvent them in ways that tend to be more miss than hit. Just off the top of my head, the only times I felt like it worked out alright were with Daredevil and Iceman. And the latter was only okay because other writers came in and cleaned up the mess he made.
    Last edited by Blue22; 07-27-2020 at 05:20 PM.

I voted 1 star based purely on his Superman and Legion titles. I haven't read the rest of his work for DC.

I gave him a couple of issues of Superman and Action to win me over. Instead I found his take to be one of my least favourite depictions of the character. I quit and am happy to sit out this awful run and wait for the next writer to take over.

I tried Legion because I'm always interested in seeing these characters and have enjoyed some of the past reboots, but like Superman I found Bendis' take of the Legion dull and pointless.

Ive only read one volume of his so far.

Seems like most give him fairly mediocre reviews but I am excited to splurge on a bunch of his books sometime in thr coming months.

Since expectations are set low Im guessing Ill be pleasantly surprised!

I've quit following all this DC work. It's just not very good. It felt like his Action Comics book early on was his strongest title, but then that Leviathan story happened and spawned that event book which was just a disaster. Completely tanked that whole Action Comics part of his work. All of his other books feel like they are aimless and plodding and he doesn't really know what to do with his story. His X-Men run was like that and he could never figure out how to write himself out of it and it just got worse and worse.

Naomi is/was great, easily the best thing he's been a part of but I feel part of it was that it was co-written by Walker and the art from Jamal Campbell definitely took that book to another level; so I can't attribute it all to Bendis.

all the other stuff he's been working on are properties that I truly don't give a **** about but I gave each a looksie here and there:

- the jon change really doesnt bother me all that much but I do think it's a strange move, otherwise he hasn't done anything with Superman to move the needle on my general apathy with the character and his corner of the universe.
    - Young Justice was okay. it seemed generally enjoyable when I read it but I don't care about that Young Justice property much, so I'm not invested. i dig Tim Drake's new suit and the idea to move him past Robin but that appears to be going away so I'm once again laughing at DC's general incompetence and proclivity toward gazing directing up their own anus. I'll probably check more of it out since Aqualad and Sideways were brought in a while back; I like Aqualad and Sideways.
    - LoSH is waaaaay too crowded on every page for me to even want to read anything going on. everytime I try, my eyes glaze over and I just start skimming over the pictures. if 10 million characters aren't on the page then the panels are overstuffed with speech bubbles. it's a lot and I truly don't give enough of a (you know what) to try to read through that noise.
    - I haven't gotten around to Leviathan but it looks intriguing enough

overall i gave him a 3, the stuff I do actually read is pretty good and I'm happy with any creator that cares more about trying to be forward thinking and doing new things than perpetuating more DCisms
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 07-28-2020 at 03:52 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

First of all, I never understood, and I don’t understand now his desire to take a lot of series at the same time. Whatever he says, but such a load on the quality also affects, it would be better if at least Action Comics was taken by someone else.
    His Young Justice is alright. I don't like this stupid "Drake" nickname, but otherwise, pretty good character work and really interesting to follow.
    But I don't like his Superman run. Krypton retcon and that entire Rogol-Zar thing is complete nonsense, aging Jon is just pointless in my opinion, especially with getting back Connor. Of course, it is clear that they will somehow retcon it, especially considering that 5G is dead, but still, some absolutely pointless move.
    Legion is boring, but but in principle, I cannot say that it is bad. In some places it is even interesting.
    I don't know, what Bendis will write next (and when), but I hope it will be some street-level characters, he writes them much better, his Ultimate Spider-Man, Daredevil and Jessica Jones runs are perfect.

Always Rakzo

Considering some of his new books are the most decompressed, dull and out of character series that I've seen in quite a while (Sometimes they can be all those things at the same time), I would be willing to go for "Can he go back to Marvel please?" but again, I don't want him at Marvel either. Just let him do his own indie stuff.