View Poll Results: How do you like Bendis' DC work?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars: one of the best creators DC has ever had

1 1.20%
  • 4 Stars: among the top talent at DC right now

8 9.64%
  • 3 Stars: flawed but enjoyable

27 32.53%
  • 2 Stars: mediocre at best

27 32.53%
  • 1 Star: can he go back to Marvel, please?

20 24.10%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I gave it a 3 because he did bring back the YJ4. We owe him for that. But YJ has been slow and drawn out somewhat.

I have only read Man of Steel, Action #1000, the Action/YJ issues, and Superman #1 and I really can't form an opinion on them

His Batman Giant story was a lot of fun (Batman Universe) though.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

I have to thank this thread for introducing me to Batman Universe, this is probably the most fun I've had reading Batman in forever.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I voted mediocre. There is no way in hell I want him back at Marvel. He did enough damage while he was there. I am enjoying his LOSH though but nothing else of his. I’m hoping he doesn’t get anywhere near the JSA when and if it ever comes out.

Okay, here is my hat take -

Two out of five stars, he's all hype thus far in DC, IMO. Keep in mind, I was a huge fan of his work on Ultimate Spider-Man, I didn't even mind Riri (I liked some aspects of her). The guy has certainly lost a few steps. I think he is better off writing street-level action, which could be the problem with his DC output.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Gave it a 3. I like Superman a lot and liked about half of Action. That’s the only stuff I’ve read of his.

I gave him a "4" but really it's more like a 3.5. He arguably *is* one of DC's better creators right now but that says more about DC than Bendis, and his work *is* flawed but generally enjoyable.

I think moving to DC breathed new life into Bendis; his work since the switch has been miles better than his last few years at Marvel. But all the flaws and quirks of his writing didn't go away, he still writes dragged out stories, his dialogue is still needlessly repetitive at times, he still fumbles the execution on his plots even when the concept and premise is good, and he still ignores continuity when it suits him. But he's not nearly as bad as he used to be.

I've enjoyed his Superman run quite a bit. I don't agree with every choice he's made and some issues/arcs have sucked but he's got a fantastic grasp on Clark's character and voice, his Metropolis is the most fleshed out and interesting the city has been since the triangle era, and he's advanced Clark's overall narrative in a direction that feels like a valid next step in the character's life.

Legion is.....it's okay. I like the world building that's going on and the concepts Bendis is playing with but the book drags like a car with three flat tires. The last issue or two have been better so maybe Bendis just needed some time to build up some steam, but if I never see another issue in my pull box I might not even notice the absence. I think I'll be dropping the book in another issue or so if it doesn't pick up the pace.

His Young Justice started out pretty lackluster as well, but keeps improving and since the first arc ended has been pretty damn good. Issue 7 is, IMO, one of the best single issues of 2019. It's not the best thing on the shelf and my fond memories of the original book tell me it's not as good as PAD's run but I think it's solid enough.

Naomi deserves every inch of praise it gets and more. If DC and Bendis don't screw this up, they're gonna have a big new star on their hands. Fantastic mini and character. Can't wait for season 2.

Leviathan wasn't the best book around by any metric but it finally did what I've wanted to see for years and streamlined the spy corner of the DCU. And, setting aside the writing flaws, Leviathan and Shaw are potentially great additions to the DCU (we'll have to see them used more to know if DC can hit the balance Leviathan is clearly trying to maintain).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I've been reading his Legion of Super Heroes and Young Justice since they started and both are decent(not spectacular). YJ is definitely better than LOSH.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Aside from Cover (though I don't know how much of it was David Mack's artwork) I can't recall anything where my first impression was: "*whew* He really knocked it out of the park here!"

On the other hand, he considerably reduced the amount of Jon Kent in the Superman titles by banishing him to a Legion comic which I don't read and I will never be able to thank him enough for that.

3 stars!

Have not liked pretty much everything he's done since coming to DC. So, he can go back to Marvel ASAP.

The Bendis speak is aggravating, the age-up of Jon was awful, hate the identity reveal, don't care about the YJ4, shoving Jon into the Legion...

I could keep going. But when I get more satisfaction out of an apocalyptic Elseworld series Super family then I do the main version, yeah. And, just to clarify, I hate such horror concepts 99% of the time.

Not a fan of Bendis after the damages he's done with Marvel and fear what other BS he'll stir up in the DCU.

i went with 4 but its more like a 3.5. I like his Leviathan stuff.

I like Bendis more than I don’t like Bendis
    Or to be more perfectly clear
    I dislike far more other writers that have worked at
    Both Marvel and D C the past decade.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

Naomi and legion are great.

Superman has been solid until issue 18.then became amazing.

Action comics had a great start, fizzled due to tie ins but house of Kent shapes up to be gooood.

Leviathan leaves me unimpressed but it's halfway done.

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

2 or 3.
    His Superman and LOSH runs arent bad but certainly flawed. Young Justice is his best work out there imo
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Bendis' best work is with second string street level characters like Green Arrow, Batgirl, and The Question would be right in his wheelhouse.