View Poll Results: How do you like Bendis' DC work?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars: one of the best creators DC has ever had

1 1.20%
  • 4 Stars: among the top talent at DC right now

8 9.64%
  • 3 Stars: flawed but enjoyable

27 32.53%
  • 2 Stars: mediocre at best

27 32.53%
  • 1 Star: can he go back to Marvel, please?

20 24.10%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default So what do people think about Brian Bendis' DC work so far?

Just wondering, it's been a while since he made the switch.

Astonishing Member

I like Young Justice, not a big fan of his Superman or LOSH.

He’s alright, it really depends on the series honestly, that and if you can stand some pacing.

Young Justice I like because it brought back some of my favorite characters and it’s just them going on adventures. However it took them a long time to get home and the deal with Starlabs so that may have irritated people.

Legion of Superheroes will depend on if you can accept another reboot line-up, if you can you find you might enjoy this and have some fun with it. However if you wanted a pre-existing Legion then that’s a no for you most likely.

Naomi is probably his best work, but that is an entirely new superhero so he could do whatever he wanted with her.

Superman and Action Comics vary on storyline, some his storylines are pretty good such as Superman identity reveal or the return of Conner Kent and the invisible mafia stuff, but then you can get some bad ones like Rogal Zaar.

Batman universe is a lot of fun, and a really good read for a Batman book.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Batman: Universe was the most refreshing Bat-related book in a long time, probably since the '66 revival books.

Superman is mixed. I think he has a good voice for Clark but not a fan of some of his story lines.
    Last edited by Gaius; 07-22-2020 at 04:13 PM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

His Superman and Action Comics are enjoyable. AC being my favorite until the current artist took over, now I can barely look at half the pages.

Legion of Super Heroes is good, even if it's not *my* LoSH. I'll be sticking with it for the foreseeable future.

I dropped Young Justice a few issues ago.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I went 3 stars.
    Flawed may not be the right word though, as it’s more a case of him doing stuff I’m not into.
    His Young Justice is okay but hasn’t recaptured the fun of the original for example.
    I’ll give him credit though in that this is the most interested I’ve been in Superman since well before The New 52.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Batman: Universe was the most refreshing Bat-related book in a long time, probably since the '66 revival books.

Superman is mixed. I think he has a good voice for Clark but not a fan of some of this story lines.
    Agreed about Superman. I really like his voice for Supes. It’s confident, witty, and even a bit self deprecating/humble. The stories on the other hand have been average to not good. Still pissed that Jon gets the credit for the United Planets. The Red Cloud and Underground Mafia have been pretty boring and the less said about Rogol Zar the better. I do like the fact that Mongol is being presented as a huge threat again. Someone like him should be the true enemy of the United Planets as is stands for everything he hates.

Naomi has probably been his biggest contribution to the DCU since he arrived. I hope he creates more characters like her.

Probably not a popular opinion but I liked Event Leviathan. Bendis has done some great work with street level characters throughout his career. Would love to see him do a Manhunter mini series. Or even The Question.

It’s nice that Conner is back but I couldn’t care less about his Young Justice run.

I’m a Legion of Superheroes fan so I had to give his take a shot. Just not feeling it. It’s been hard to get invested in yet another reboot.

I think overall I would give his DC work a 2.5.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I like his Action Comics run for most part. Superman meddles between mediocore and good, currently being really good with this truth storyline.

Haven' read much of his young justice run, so I can't comment on that.

I really liked Naomi and wish we could get the sequel already.l,

Event Levithan was really good, definitely feel it was underrated.

Legion of superheroes just has too many characters in that book, which makes it hard for me too enjoy it. I've never read any other legion books, so maybe that's always a problem with the team but it's really hard for any character development to happen.

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

I like his Young Justice and Legion. Not Into his Superman.

Astonishing Member

It's a big injection of stuff I liked, that other comics aren't really giving me at the moment. And not just the titles he's writing - but the Wonder Comics books, and Fraction's Jimmy Olsen, hugely enrich DC.

On the other hand, I was someone who liked Superman - but wasn't "a Superman fan", as such, previously. So a lot of the stuff I'm really enjoying is stuff that plays less well to people who have a deeper emotional connection to previous runs. Which is fair enough.

I think it's been solid compared to his later Marvel work.

I mean, there's still the issues where characters don't sound right or Bendis just makes continuity work how he wants it to, plots don't develop as well as they could have, and he tries to pingenhole certain DC characters to be more like their Marvel counterparts...but he knows how to write Superman, which is a feat unto itself in my opinion.

Event Leviathan felt like a lot of nothing for me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it's been solid compared to his later Marvel work.

Event Leviathan felt like a lot of nothing for me though.
    I def. agree w. That first part. I think he was burned out at Marvel. The switch to DC’s been good for him imo.

I wasn’t into Event Leviathan either, but I tend to avoid events so I’m biased.

And I can’t believe I forgot to mention Batman: Universe. That book was GREAT.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Mediocre.

His Superman has been ...... OK.
    I gave up on Young Justice after issue 12. It just wasn't going anywhere, yet STILL managed to shortchange everyone story-wise.
    Event Leviathan also sucked me in, and AGAIN just left me cold.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I went with flawed. but i will give it 2.5.He sucks at writing jon kent.

While I was a huge New 52 Superman fan, I was ultimately okay with Rebirth and Reborn, despite my misgivings. The pre-Flashpoint Superman was ultimately too brooding, indecisive, too willing to call in help from Batman, thus looking incompetent, and lacked a backbone. Grant Morrison scathingly said that getting rid of "that weird emo Superman" was his primary goal writing the Action Comics reboot, and aside from a few scattered writers working at cross purposes during the New 52, like Johns and Pérez, Morrison succeeded in that goal. Rebirth Superman may not have had the street view perspective as much, or the pseudo-Golden Age backstory, but he was still decisive, dynamic, and competent. If this was the outcome of the New 52, it was still a net gain for the Man of Steel.

I immediately felt that energy was gone during Bendis' Man of Steel miniseries. Superman's quips were now drier and less passionate, the quips of a principal handing our detentions. His super-hearing was impossible and worse Orwellian. Clark seemed more withdrawn and brooding than I'd seen in years. He called Batman in to help him with an arson case, like he can't handle looking for clues with his own damn super eyes, come on. There were rumblings for a long time that Clark and Lois would get a divorce, because of all the tension he put into their relationship. Ultimately he had Superman out himself as Clark, something I think was frankly even more irresponsible than when it happened during the New 52.

But, I figured maybe it was unique to Superman. I like BMB'S work on Spidey's books for the most part. Maybe the Legion book would be better. But no, he turned Cosmic Boy from a poor but highly skilled and dedicated athlete from a world suffering an unbearable economic depression into part of a literal one percent of genetically superior Braalians. Very fashy, completely misses the point of Cosmic Boy. I stopped reading Legion at that moment. What a disgrace.

So I gave Bendis 2/5 stars, and I call that generous.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."