Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dynamite Cancels Comic-Con@Home Panels Following Comicsgate Controversy

https://www.cbr.com/dynamite-cancels...e-controversy/

Let me get this straight. CBR can report on the Dynamite controversy, but we can't talk about it?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post

Let me get this straight. CBR can report on the Dynamite controversy, but we can't talk about it?
    Yup. Because people will come here to defend it. I'm not a fan, either, but I can understand the logic.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

((Speaks in Emperor Palpatine voice))

Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Darth Barrucci the Wise? No. I thought not. It’s not a story the mods would tell you. It's a internet legend. Darth Barrucci was a comics master of the industry, so powerful and so wise he could use the internet to raise tons of cash overnight by having known characters pose with characters no one heard of. He had such a knowledge of the dark practice that he could even keep so called "woke" creators quite about the practice and working for him and have no media outlets call them out. The dark side of comics is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. What happened to him? He became so powerful... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his cash, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentices everything. It's ironic he could make tons of cash for others others but could not keep it for himself.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by armlessphelan View Post
    Yup. Because people will come here to defend it. I'm not a fan, either, but I can understand the logic.
    Mods have always been able to handle trolls, And if the thread degenerates into that, fine, close it. But the other thread was closed and it was a polite discussion without vitriol.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Mods have always been able to handle trolls, And if the thread degenerates into that, fine, close it. But the other thread was closed and it was a polite discussion without vitriol.
    Indeed. What I find interesting is that it can't be talked about on the forums, but the stories on the front page allows discussion. Is it a clickbait situation?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Indeed. What I find interesting is that it can't be talked about on the forums, but the stories on the front page allows discussion. Is it a clickbait situation?
    I imagine the people who run the news and the Mods are not on the same page on this.
    The last thread was closed because:
    We don't discuss CG or related matters on the CBR Forums. We will not give that hate group any sort of platform.
    We have news articles about it, but you can't discuss those articles. Huh?

I'll hopefully clear this up.
    The Forums and Main CBR site operate effectively independently. The Forums volunteers don't work on the main site, the main site staff don't have any mod status on the forums.

We have a long standing policy on the forums not to discuss CG, as they are a harassment and hate group and we do not wish to give them any sort of platform. We don't want CGers coming here at all, they are simply not worthy of these forums. If the discussion can be kept to just Dynamite, go for your life. But keep CG out of it as much as you can.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

Fair enough.

Amazing Member

I actually had to look up what CG was as I had never heard of it until this news story broke. I like Dynamite as a publisher and I'm sad to see people picking on them over their politics. Their books are generally very solid products in my experience.

If you think lending support to a harassment and abuse group is 'politics', I think you need to revisit your definition of the word.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    If you think lending support to a harassment and abuse group is 'politics', I think you need to revisit your definition of the word.
    Perhaps I will come across as naive, but in general I would like to think a publisher like Dynamite might be supporting them as artists, and not because they hold certain political views. Or perhaps they even support them "despite" their views. I'm not even sure what artists are part of this organization. That being said I'm not the type to background check artists to verify that I approve of their politics beforehand. I like to think art can bridge and connect different people together regardless of differences.

What part of harassment and abuse stretching over years counts as politics, precisely?
    @Matt_of_Geek

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    What part of harassment and abuse stretching over years counts as politics, precisely?
    My use of the word "politics" is in response to the description given in the news article on this site, in which they basically seem to sum them up as "a group opposed to what they view as forced diversity". Harassment and abuse is obviously unacceptable.

I've never seen Dynamite express political views on social media, so I'm not happy to see them being labeled guilty by association when what they do is publish art and stories. In my opinion it's not like the industry has that many publishers that we can afford to discard them that easily, but again, just my opinion.

BleedingCool are reporting that one of the panels was set to announce the 5-issue 'Die!Namite' series, but that that book has now been cancelled after the writer, Declan Shalvey has cut ties with Dynamite.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiyaki View Post
    My use of the word "politics" is in response to the description given in the news article on this site, in which they basically seem to sum them up as "a group opposed to what they view as forced diversity". Harassment and abuse is obviously unacceptable.

I've never seen Dynamite express political views on social media, so I'm not happy to see them being labeled guilty by association when what they do is publish art and stories. In my opinion it's not like the industry has that many publishers that we can afford to discard them that easily, but again, just my opinion.
    Not to get into who CG are, but that description is like calling the Klan a Cosplay group.