Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default What's the closest you ever came to DYING?

Fell off a poorly secured roof beam a coupla days before Christmas 2007. Fell about ten feet onto a solid block of concrete busting my arm and wrist. Good thing I didnt hit my head.

Have YOU had a nasty illness, accident or near miss?

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Pneumonia. I was in the hospital and then I had to go to a rehab center for more treatment and some physical therapy. I didn't think I was going to make it. My muscles weren't getting strong enough and I could barely do the exercizes and it wasn't until near the end that by some stroke of luck that I made a huge leap in recovery. I was actually preparing to die in my mind.

About twenty years ago, I was standing in line inside a Burger King when an out of control car crashed through the wall and drove halfway through the building before slamming into a pillar. It missed hitting me by only about ten feet.

Being shot at while fishing on a riverbank in southeast MN when I was a teenager. Never found out who or why.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Oh let me count the ways...

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Had a nasty habit of almost falling into very deep holes as a child. Probably the closest was when I was Seven or Eight, our oil tank sprung a leak earlier in the year so we had to have basically our entire front/back yards dug up, and removed. We still had entry into our house via our side door, but on both sides of it was 20-30 feet deep pits. Came home from Cub scouts, and I opened the door for my parents. Swung the door a bit too wide and nearly slipped off the porch into the pit. If my dad hadn't grabbed me in time I would have fallen onto a piece of rebar, and probably have been impaled.

It's either that or the time a few years ago I was walking home from work one night, and I just wasn't paying enough attention to my surroundings. Nearly got ran over by an SUV when I misread the lights on the crosswalk. I think anyway, one of us certainly misread the situation and it's hard to argue with an SUV.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 07-24-2020 at 12:15 PM.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Probably the time I got my foot caught in some kind of hole on the ground while swimming at a beach. I couldn't get it loose and got stuck underwater for a second or two but someone was there and picked me up out of the water.

The other time was when I was about 36 hours from death when I got some kind of unidentified virus (the doctors think it came from a cat scratch) that they had to do emergency surgery on me to stop. I was 10.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Being shot at while fishing on a riverbank in southeast MN when I was a teenager. Never found out who or why.
    ^^^Well that sucks.

I’ve been shot several times and involved in IED VBIED explosions, but at least that’s not as random as getting shot while minding my own business fishing. Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^Well that sucks.

I’ve been shot several times and involved in IED VBIED explosions, but at least that’s not as random as getting shot while minding my own business fishing. Damn.
    Yeah, I was sitting there smoking a cigarette and heard something whiz past and the bang immediately after. I'm ashamed to say I froze for a second trying to wrap my head around what was going on when it happened again and I jumped up and took off into the bushes. My Dad and I went back later with a cop to get my rod and tackle box.
    I think in the mortal danger category you have me beat by a mile though.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Got T-Boned at an intersection where a really young driver(don't even think he had turned seventeen yet?) slammed on the gas to try to make it across the intersection in front of me.

Luckily, I caught the sound of him gunning the engine before I saw him. Had just enough time to brake so that...

- Hood Versus Hood Was The Initial Impact.
    - That Swung His Vehicle Into A Pretty Solid "Passenger Side Versus Driver's Side Impact..."
    - That Impact Threw My Vehicle Across The Road, Over The Curb, And Upright In Front Of A Stone Sign With A Subdivision's Name On It.

While the car I was in was completely done for(Engine Partially Smashed/Frame Seriously Bent/Quite A Few Windows Shattered), I lucked into just getting some stitches when my right arm smashed outer part of the between the seats console.

So, yeah. Kinda lucky break.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

1. When I was about 4, I stepped into the deep end of a pool, and didn't come back up until my mom pulled me up by my hair.
    2. When I was about 5 or 6, the family went on a driving vacation up to DC. We stopped in Harper's Ferry, WV. My aunt rescued me from taking a header off a nearby cliff.

I stayed relatively safe until 1998 or so-- Driving down the New York Turnpike, somewhere between Albany and Buffalo, the brakes failed. Rather than plow into the car ahead, I went into the grassy median. However, I didn't stay there. I found myself flying down the opposite highway at 60mph with oncoming cars doing the same. Somehow, I slalomed thru the oncoming traffic without hitting anything, until a fence and a tree on the far side stopped me. The grass had slowed me considerably by that point. Walked away without a scratch.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    1. When I was about 4, I stepped into the deep end of a pool, and didn't come back up until my mom pulled me up by my hair.

Huh. When I was 4 my Dad through me into the deep end on purpose,lol. It's how I learned how to swim.

My closest time was likely when I got into a car accident when I was about 17. I came to a stop, waited 3 seconds then slowly start going and this guy come flying over the hill doing at least 50mph in a 15mph school zone. Car got totaled,air bag went off. Luckily no injuries.

Well, i was a pretty dumb kid so it's kinda a wonder i made it to 12.

Like that time i tried with a fellow moron to put firecrackers in a glass bottle, didn't end up too bad thanks Poseidon.

But the closest i have been to eat my birth certificate very simply was cause of sickness. Very young too, i got a very, very, very bad case of measles.

The fever almost took me to the underworld. (probably roasted my brain a bit though in the process, which would explain a lot lol)

When I was 6, my family was hiking in Yosemite during a winter visit and I slipped on the icy trail to Vernal Falls. Back then there were no guard rails or fences along the trail. The only thing keeping me from plumetting over the side of the river gorge was a rock that somehow stopped my slide. I was on the edge of the gorge, legs dangling over the side, looking down at the rocky, swollen river way below.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    When I was 6, my family was hiking in Yosemite during a winter visit and I slipped on the icy trail to Vernal Falls. Back then there were no guard rails or fences along the trail. The only thing keeping me from plumetting over the side of the river gorge was a rock that somehow stopped my slide. I was on the edge of the gorge, legs dangling over the side, looking down at the rocky, swollen river way below.
    I feel dizzy just reading it…

Close to dying… I suppose when I was taking driving lessons… and no, I don’t drive. I’m too whimsical.

Another one I had time to think about it was when I was walking on footpaths (actually an aqueduct work) in Madeira. I was with a group. At one point, we walked cautiously on a very narrow path (the curbstone of the aqueduct), with a precipice on the right during long minutes…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe