Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Anyway my most hated fight is Spidey vs. Magneto from the comic strip. Spidey wins because he removed his web shooters. Good Grief.
    Hah...you know I read that comic as a kid, and funnily enough that was my introduction to Magneto. Even in that strip, I liked Magneto for his awesome and cool powers.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    in the modern day, I am staunchly opposed to spider-man getting pwned in fights against "average" super powered folks like Black Tarantula. I hated that with a passion.
    Peter also has martial arts training from Shang Chi-- which is probably forgotten by now-- so there's even less of an excuse for him to have a 50% chance of losing in every fight where it's not just a human involved.
    You think Black Tarantula is bad? There is another scene which is way worse. During the Back In Black saga, Spider Man, with the Queen.and Other Upgrades, fresh off of speedblitzing the Kingpin into submission, has his face turned to hamburger by Jonah Jameson's bare hands.

https://i.imgur.com/pLL4Ai2_d.webp?m...idelity=medium
    https://i.imgur.com/1fsxloH_d.webp?m...idelity=medium

Conpared to that, Black Tarantula fights are Eisner material
    Last edited by Klaxton; 08-12-2020 at 05:30 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    Not technically Spider-Man (As in, Peter Parker) but also technically Spider-Man so I thought they were worth getting an honorary mention:

Every time Slott's SpOck fought or had a conflict against The Avengers or other heroes in general. It was one of the lamest instances of Spider-Man's "I'm holding back all this time but now I am cutting loose" thing. From SpOck making Thor struggle to hold him, to SpOck (fused with Venom) holding his own against The Avengers. It's just senseless and ignores the real powers of most of the characters. Like, sure, I can buy a Spider-Man (in this case Otto) without morals being able to dance around Captain America, Black Widow and Wolverine somewhat easily. But Iron Man? Thor? Come on now, don't make me laugh.

Spider-Man could be in his angriest, darkest, most unruly moment where he would attack with every bit of strength his body had. And Thor would still flick him into next week (And should be grateful he didn't just explode)
    Unfortunately, Thor's become a jobbing punching bag in recent years.

Also Slott had a serious Spider Man hardon. Heck he wrote Rhino stomping Thor.
    Last edited by Klaxton; 08-12-2020 at 08:46 AM.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Definitely the Firelord Story but the other one that still urks me was when Ben Reilly as the Scarlet Spider beat Venom.

Fight made absolutely zero sense. Venom was the boogeyman for the real Parker. Even with Spider-Man's Experience, those fights are too close to call, but out of nowhere Ben is able to do it?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Klaxton View Post
    You think Black Tarantula is bad? There is another scene which is way worse. During the Back In Black saga, Spider Man, with the Queen.and Other Upgrades, fresh off of speedblitzing the Kingpin into submission, has his face turned to hamburger by Jonah Jameson's bare hands.

https://i.imgur.com/pLL4Ai2_d.webp?m...idelity=medium
    https://i.imgur.com/1fsxloH_d.webp?m...idelity=medium

Conpared to that, Black Tarantula fights are Eisner material
    To be somewhat fair, Jameson busted his hand in the process and Peter just stood there and took it out of sympathy for Jameson's feelings of hurt and betrayal at Peter being Spider-Man all along.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Definitely the Firelord Story but the other one that still urks me was when Ben Reilly as the Scarlet Spider beat Venom.

Fight made absolutely zero sense. Venom was the boogeyman for the real Parker. Even with Spider-Man's Experience, those fights are too close to call, but out of nowhere Ben is able to do it?
    The explanation for Reilly's victory against Venom was that he just had tools Peter didn't, like the impact webbing that was somehow able to get between Brock and the symbiote, not to mention that since Reilly was created before Peter ever bonded with the symbiote, his spider-sense didn't recognize the symbiote as "himself" and therefore reacted as it would to other threats. At least that's what I recall from when I read that story in the first volume of The Complete Clone Saga Epic.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    To be somewhat fair, Jameson busted his hand in the process and Peter just stood there and took it out of sympathy for Jameson's feelings of hurt and betrayal at Peter being Spider-Man all along.

The explanation for Reilly's victory against Venom was that he just had tools Peter didn't, like the impact webbing that was somehow able to get between Brock and the symbiote, not to mention that since Reilly was created before Peter ever bonded with the symbiote, his spider-sense didn't recognize the symbiote as "himself" and therefore reacted as it would to other threats. At least that's what I recall from when I read that story in the first volume of The Complete Clone Saga Epic.
    Wasn't Black Tarantula superhuman too, or i'm remembering wrong.

And as someone that read The Clone Saga Epic recently, you are rigth about Reilly and how the figth went down, plus Eddie almost killed him during the fight.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post

And as someone that read The Clone Saga Epic recently, you are rigth about Reilly and how the figth went down, plus Eddie almost killed him during the fight.
    Yeah, that was true. Ben only won during the rematch, after having had to retreat to avoid getting killed in the first fight. And yes, Black Tarantula was superhuman, on a higher level of physical power and strength than Spider-Man himself. He was kind of being set up like Spider-Man's version of Bane --- a bigger, stronger, tougher, and smarter opponent than any the web-slinger had faced before. Then Ed Brubaker's Daredevil happened and he got something of a downgrade.

Yeah, that was true. Ben only won during the rematch, after having had to retreat to avoid getting killed in the first fight. And yes, Black Tarantula was superhuman, on a higher level of physical power and strength than Spider-Man himself. He was kind of being set up like Spider-Man's version of Bane --- a bigger, stronger, tougher, and smarter opponent than any the web-slinger had faced before. Then Ed Brubaker's Daredevil happened and he got something of a downgrade.
    Ah the Kingpin effect, that actually explains it.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Ah the Kingpin effect, that actually explains it.
    Glad I could help, then.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I always felt that the whole Spider-Man beating Firelord thing was more about his anger at the time increasing his crazy super strength that he was getting from the symbiote, Even DD said when they were fighting each other all over town in a knock down drag out fight, even when he was out by his senses he was incredibly strong and if he didn't use his superior fighting skills he would of been KOed
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 08-12-2020 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I always felt that the whole Spider-Man beating Firelord thing was more about his anger at the time increasing his crazy super strength that he was getting from the symbiote, Even DD said when they were fighting each other all over town in a knock down drag out fight, even when he was out by his senses he was incredibly strong and if he didn't use his superior fighting skills he would of been KOed
    He didn't have the symbiote at the time, his black costume was a normal one.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member

He was, he got it from a potion. He wasn't immortal - it was just a legacy, Phantom style. What he did have was Spider-man basic stats, except the things like spider-sense and no webbing. He's kind of like Kaine, really.

Spectacular Member

Question

Jameson's hands were. Just bruised. They were soaked with Peter's blood.
    Jameson should have had his hand busted with the first punch and Peter completely unharmed.
    Barring outliers or contexted examples, Spider Man has been depicted as someone impossible for ordinary people to hurt, with bare hands or blunt weapons. Classic Spidey laughed when Chamaleon broke a pool cue on his head. Heck that was the reason he recognized Chameleon, who had been disguised as Kraven, as Kraven was strong enough to hurt him with his bare hands
    Plus Peter has been depicted and stated to have gotten stronger with age. Plus he had two upgrades. Him still getting bloodied up Jameson, who has next to zero shown physical capability, makes absolutely no sense, however great a character moment it is.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I kinda prefer Spidey winning fights or showing off compared to jobbing or looking like a fool in a fight personally, even if it stretches credibility a little.
    Doesn't this applies to other characters too, or is it simply that because Spidey is popular/liked by his fans others should job and to lose to him only and not vice-versa? That's not fair at all.

iMan 42s

Not really a fight but him falling from space is a kind of infamous one, he covers himself in "concrete webbing" ignoring things like re-entry, hyper-velocity, heat buildup, impact, etc. The excuse Slott gave was that Iron man can come back from space just fine..., y'know except Iron man doesn't slam into the planet when he lands.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.