Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

It's the new costume that keeps throwing me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's the new costume that keeps throwing me off.
    From the look of the covers and Jess changing between her own book and this, it looks like even Marvel is iffy on which costume to give her.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    I won't get into a debate about the validity of Abrams' work, but all I'll say is that while quality is subjective, his box office returns for the studios he's worked for has earned him a lot of credibility with Hollywood. But that's off-topic in a Spider-Man thread.
    Believe it or not Abrams is not really off topic in a Spider-Man thread. Why? If the day comes and Abrams decides to leave Warner Bros, you want him working for you and irking him by saying no is not the way to do it. Famous story: Harry Cohn when he ran Columbia Studios tried to blackball John Wayne early in Wayne’s career. Wayne swore he would never work for Columbia again; He never did. So even if his son’s story sucks on a Spider-Man Year One Level, Disney/Marvel did it hoping one day Abrams can direct a Spider-Man film.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Believe it or not Abrams is not really off topic in a Spider-Man thread. Why? If the day comes and Abrams decides to leave Warner Bros,
    Isn't Abrams associated with and committed to Disney?

Or do you mean "leave for Warner Bros".

...you want him working for you and irking him by saying no is not the way to do it. Famous story: Harry Cohn when he ran Columbia Studios tried to blackball John Wayne early in Wayne’s career. Wayne swore he would never work for Columbia again; He never did.
    John Wayne had the level of fame and clout (what is known as "f--k you money") that allowed him to do that. It's not clear if JJ Abrams has that level of clout i.e. nurse a grudge and follow through it long-term. In Hollywood Spielberg has that clout but nobody else does. And in any case, this is about J. J. Abrams son, and not JJ himself.

Abrams has never created wildly successful and entirely original films by itself. For instance, Spielberg became Spielberg because he was able to spin success out of entirely original stories like Close Encounters of the Third King, ET the Extra Terrestrial, and likewise tap into lesser known material like Jurassic Park and make that into a global franchise. To say nothing of being the director of the Indiana Jones movies. Whereas Abrams has only ever rejigged pre-existing and pre-established franchises whether it's Mission Impossible, Star Trek, Star Wars.

So even if his son’s story sucks on a Spider-Man Year One Level, Disney/Marvel did it hoping one day Abrams can direct a Spider-Man film.
    If Disney/Marvel want Abrams to direct a Spider-Man movie they'd go up to him with a suitcase full of cash.

I think people are overexaggerating the value of the "Abramazing Spider-Man" (to use a nickname from elsewhere). It was basically a fun project conceived by Nick Lowe and others at Marvel and the hope was for it to sell big...the first issue did sell well and generated hype for a month, and that alone probably made back costs for the rest of the mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Actually, he had already signed a deal with Warner Bros. just this year for his production company in like, $500 million or something. So he's Team WB right now.

Spectacular Member

Pat Gleason is a good artist. I wonder what your gripe is with him?
    In either case, Ottley will next draw #49/850, and Bagley is drawing #45, #48, and #49/850 as well.
    His spidey art is ok, it's the human art that just doesn't grab me.....but that's why he's drawing one of the most famous superhero comics of all time and I am complaining on a chat board

Honestly, I'm just not a big fan of the rotating door of artists that seems to be taking place.

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsguru View Post
    His spidey art is ok, it's the human art that just doesn't grab me.....but that's why he's drawing one of the most famous superhero comics of all time and I am complaining on a chat board

Honestly, I'm just not a big fan of the rotating door of artists that seems to be taking place.
    I get that! I really do. The artist lineup was originally Ottley and Ramos. Then, it started expanding to others after Ramos left, like Bachalo, Walker, Coello, and a bunch of others. Gleason was also the replacement for Ramos, but he hadn't been on the book since issue #34. But I sympathize with you; I wish there was only two artists max - Ottley and Gleason. But it's starting to look like the BND days where we'd get a new artist each story arc.

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    The other was W.E.B. of Spider-man, which was a mini. Both Non-Stop and W.E.B. were supposed to come out when ASM 47 and 48 were intended to come out (June, pre-pandemic screwing up distribution) and Marvel hasn't said word one about either of them. I could see Non-Stop spinning off after Last Remains and W.E.B. (which is probably continuity-light) sitting on the shelf until there's a hole in the schedule (or maybe just release it as a graphic novel??).
    I feel like Marvel is waiting to get most of their other delayed backlog out before eventually starting up these new series like Non-Stop/WEB/Silk, etc. Champions only just got re-solicited for October, and Power Pack's starting up in November, and they have alot of others to catch up on, so these other series will probably be coming back at some point, though wouldn't be surprised if it's all next year.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

Or do you mean "leave for Warner Bros".

John Wayne had the level of fame and clout (what is known as "f--k you money") that allowed him to do that. It's not clear if JJ Abrams has that level of clout i.e. nurse a grudge and follow through it long-term. In Hollywood Spielberg has that clout but nobody else does. And in any case, this is about J. J. Abrams son, and not JJ himself.

Abrams has never created wildly successful and entirely original films by itself. For instance, Spielberg became Spielberg because he was able to spin success out of entirely original stories like Close Encounters of the Third King, ET the Extra Terrestrial, and likewise tap into lesser known material like Jurassic Park and make that into a global franchise. To say nothing of being the director of the Indiana Jones movies. Whereas Abrams has only ever rejigged pre-existing and pre-established franchises whether it's Mission Impossible, Star Trek, Star Wars.

If Disney/Marvel want Abrams to direct a Spider-Man movie they'd go up to him with a suitcase full of cash.

I think people are overexaggerating the value of the "Abramazing Spider-Man" (to use a nickname from elsewhere). It was basically a fun project conceived by Nick Lowe and others at Marvel and the hope was for it to sell big...the first issue did sell well and generated hype for a month, and that alone probably made back costs for the rest of the mini.
    Tom Cruise has that kind of clout. He swore he would never work for Warner Bros again after an HBO documentary on Scientology came out. Ever since then he has worked only for Paramount and Universal. When it comes to Abrams Warner Bros did everything he wanted to add his production company Bad Robot to their movie roster ( they already had him for TV). I guarantee Warner Bros want him to be doing the next Superman movie.

Spectacular Member

I get that! I really do. The artist lineup was originally Ottley and Ramos. Then, it started expanding to others after Ramos left, like Bachalo, Walker, Coello, and a bunch of others. Gleason was also the replacement for Ramos, but he hadn't been on the book since issue #34. But I sympathize with you; I wish there was only two artists max - Ottley and Gleason. But it's starting to look like the BND days where we'd get a new artist each story arc.

Give me a rotation of Stegman, Ottley and Ramos and I will no longer complain.

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsguru View Post
    Give me a rotation of Stegman, Ottley and Ramos and I will no longer complain.
    Those are solid artists! Stegman was supposed to return to the book on issue #800, but scheduling conflicts messed it up.

Incredible Member

Doesn't look like either of the Scarlet Spiders are going to be involved with the shenanigans involving Kindred which is somewhat strange as i could've sworn at least Kaine was pictured in the teaser image in whaterver issue of ASM it was. (i think Otto was in it as well)

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    Doesn't look like either of the Scarlet Spiders are going to be involved with the shenanigans involving Kindred which is somewhat strange as i could've sworn at least Kaine was pictured in the teaser image in whaterver issue of ASM it was. (i think Otto was in it as well)
    Unfortunately, Otto has since reverted back to Doctor Octopus. No idea why Kaine and Ben aren't involved though.

Incredible Member

Unfortunately, Otto has since reverted back to Doctor Octopus. No idea why Kaine and Ben aren't involved though.

Ben more than likely isn't involved due to Marvel probably not having a clue as to what direction they wan't to take the character so that's not exactly a shocker. I feel like Kaine is kind of now established as the Spider person who is more comftorable using more violent and questionable methods to get results which is how he was presented in Spidergeddon so i thought he might be present here in that capacity.

Kaine and Ben are off road tripping together somewhere. Clone Bros. It's a great book happening in a better dimension right now.