Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Yeah, who knows. Hopefully we might get news tomorrow during SDCC, a Spider-Man panel with Lowe and Spencer is scheduled.

My guess is delayed. I imagine they'll probably wait for both Abrams' and Noir minis to end before re-scheduling it. Hopefully, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    It's kinda sad the X-Men run now defines him.

Before that, almost everyone agreed he was a pretty solid writer. Not great, but he delivered fun and good stories on his runs of Secret Warriors, Punisher and his New Mutants mini. I've also heard nothing but praise for his Hawkeye: Freefall mini.

I would compare him to Spencer to a degree. Both writers considered good to solid (althought Rosenberg hasn't done a GREAT series like Superior Foes), until one badly received run in a big series (X-Men for Rosenberg, HydraCap and Secret Empire for Spencer) pretty much tarnished their reputations and made any fan tremble when hearing that they're writing a new series with their favs.

Overall, I do like Rosenberg, his X-Men feels like a misstep compared to the rest of his bibliography. This time he will have editorial oversight (he has stated that during the time everyone was focused on Hickman's arrival, so editorial just told the writers to do "whatever they wanted") and Spencer is the main architect of the series, he will just execute it. I'm sure we'll get the Rosenberg fron Secret Warriors and New Mutants than the Rosenberg from X-Men.
    I think Spider-Man as a character is more up his ally than the X-Men team books were.

Although I wonder if he's being involved so he can end up writing the "Order of the Web" book.

Spectacular Member

P. Gleason.....ugh....what happened to Ottley or Bags? Sigh

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsguru View Post
    P. Gleason.....ugh....what happened to Ottley or Bags? Sigh
    Pat Gleason is a good artist. I wonder what your gripe is with him?
    In either case, Ottley will next draw #49/850, and Bagley is drawing #45, #48, and #49/850 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    It's kinda sad the X-Men run now defines him.

Before that, almost everyone agreed he was a pretty solid writer. Not great, but he delivered fun and good stories on his runs of Secret Warriors, Punisher and his New Mutants mini. I've also heard nothing but praise for his Hawkeye: Freefall mini.

I would compare him to Spencer to a degree. Both writers considered good to solid (althought Rosenberg hasn't done a GREAT series like Superior Foes), until one badly received run in a big series (X-Men for Rosenberg, HydraCap and Secret Empire for Spencer) pretty much tarnished their reputations and made any fan tremble when hearing that they're writing a new series with their favs.

Overall, I do like Rosenberg, his X-Men feels like a misstep compared to the rest of his bibliography. This time he will have editorial oversight (he has stated that during the time everyone was focused on Hickman's arrival, so editorial just told the writers to do "whatever they wanted") and Spencer is the main architect of the series, he will just execute it. I'm sure we'll get the Rosenberg fron Secret Warriors and New Mutants than the Rosenberg from X-Men.

I still personally standby with defending his Uncanny X-Men book. I feel like most of the negativity came from just not knowing what was coming in Hickman's work, so just saw it as more pointless death and misery for these characters, rather than, like you said, essentially given free reign to do whatever and thus seeing what kind of juicy material could be mined from these story points. And for what it is, depicting them at their lowest of the lows, I think it's effective in that way, and well written..

Honestly, I have a feeling that Rosenberg as a main writer on Spider-Man has the potential to be very controversial. His main motif is taking underdogs and effectively throwing them down to rock bottom and see how they deal with it, without giving them any real successes. Rocket Raccoon, Secret Warriors, Tales Of Suspense, New Mutants, Multiple Man, Astonishing X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, and Hawkeye Freefall all follow this same direction. And with "how low should a writer bring down Peter/Spider-Man" being a hotly discussed debate, I could see him really playing around with this gamble. That said, it is worth considering that most of these series are minis/shorter runs, so alot of the downer endings feel slightly intentional, and his longest run, Punisher, is definitively an outlier in his bibliography, so I would imagine doing a full ongoing he wouldn't take things that far all at once and know how to pace things out.

I do think even outside his story writing, he's always genuinely really good with writing dialogue, and especially humour, most of his books are consistently really funny, so that's another reason he'd work well with the Spidey cast.

The problem with this Uncanny run isn't how dark and dreary it was. It's that it was badly written. Characters didn't feel like themselves, the plots were ham-fisted and nothing felt like it had any weight or substance even thought he was in theory making some pretty big changes. And I'll never forget how badly written the deaths of Rahne and Blindfold were. He had freedom to do whatever he wanted because Hickman was coming anyway and he wrote one of the least inspired runs the title's ever had.
    And before that, New Mutants and Astonishing were already pretty meh. Multiple Man was downright bad. The fact most of those runs didn't have satisfying endings because they were supposed to lead to his UXM run only made things more anticlimatic once we saw how badly he ended those stories in UXM.
    I do hope he's improved, because his tenure on the X-men left a lot to be desired.

I doubt Rosenberg is taking over as main writer. At best it seems like they're setting him up to take over writing the "Order of The Web."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    As polarizing as both of those franchises are, I will say Abrams was at least partly responsible for rejuvenating them.
    In any case, this Spider-Man series is actually entirely out-of-continuity, so there's no damage to the larger Marvel 616 universe.
    I disagree about him revitalising Franchises. He goes in and makes his money then leaves. Leaving it in an even worse place than before.
    Besides With Starwars it was the first Sequel. That was gonna sell well regardless, you could've put anyone in charge of that movie and it would've sold. With Trek people were fed up with Berman and Braga hold on the Franchise. They just went to an even worse place with Bad Robot. Deep Space Nine proves you could do a good show without them.
    JJ's plots consist of a Mystery box that he will never answer combined with a lot of running around with some video game side quests that make no sense. I just hope the damage he does to Spider-Man won't be irreparable

Quote Originally Posted by Mauled View Post
    I disagree about him revitalising Franchises. He goes in and makes his money then leaves. Leaving it in an even worse place than before.
    Besides With Starwars it was the first Sequel. That was gonna sell well regardless, you could've put anyone in charge of that movie and it would've sold. With Trek people were fed up with Berman and Braga hold on the Franchise. They just went to an even worse place with Bad Robot. Deep Space Nine proves you could do a good show without them.
    JJ's plots consist of a Mystery box that he will never answer combined with a lot of running around with some video game side quests that make no sense. I just hope the damage he does to Spider-Man won't be irreparable
    I won't get into a debate about the validity of Abrams' work, but all I'll say is that while quality is subjective, his box office returns for the studios he's worked for has earned him a lot of credibility with Hollywood. But that's off-topic in a Spider-Man thread.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Hey whatever happened to Non-Stop Spider-Man, is that still on?

That was this title announced to be written by Jim Kelly I think. Another second series. Did that get cancelled or delayed? It was announced in February Pre-Lockdown and said to come out in June. Now it seems to be absent altogether.
    The other was W.E.B. of Spider-man, which was a mini. Both Non-Stop and W.E.B. were supposed to come out when ASM 47 and 48 were intended to come out (June, pre-pandemic screwing up distribution) and Marvel hasn't said word one about either of them. I could see Non-Stop spinning off after Last Remains and W.E.B. (which is probably continuity-light) sitting on the shelf until there's a hole in the schedule (or maybe just release it as a graphic novel??).
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    I won't get into a debate about the validity of Abrams' work, but all I'll say is that while quality is subjective, his box office returns for the studios he's worked for has earned him a lot of credibility with Hollywood. But that's off-topic in a Spider-Man thread.
    Fact is this isn't Abrams himself, it's his son, Henry. So it's moot.

And in any case, whatever absurd expectations people had, it's not a case that those skills translate to a comic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    The other was W.E.B. of Spider-man, which was a mini. Both Non-Stop and W.E.B. were supposed to come out when ASM 47 and 48 were intended to come out (June, pre-pandemic screwing up distribution) and Marvel hasn't said word one about either of them. I could see Non-Stop spinning off after Last Remains and W.E.B. (which is probably continuity-light) sitting on the shelf until there's a hole in the schedule (or maybe just release it as a graphic novel??).
    Thanks.

Watch this space I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Fact is this isn't Abrams himself, it's his son, Henry. So it's moot.

And in any case, whatever absurd expectations people had, it's not a case that those skills translate to a comic.
    Exactly.

10 chars.

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    WEB stars a teenage Peter, so it's an AU.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    - Jessica looks like Mattie Franklin on that one group cover.
    Yeah, why did the artist give her the same bob haircut as Silk?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    WEB stars a teenage Peter, so it's an AU.

Yeah, why did the artist give her the same bob haircut as Silk?
    I don't know. I know Sara Pichelli knows how to draw Spider-Woman.