Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monstress

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunN View Post
    The Zinn question is interesting. Right now, it looks like Zinn fathered at least one child by the Shaman Empress. But is he "male" or "genderless"? It's hard to say in a world where there are none of the "gender roles" that we would recognize and the vast majority of the characters are female. To complicate it further, an interaction between the Warlord and Tuya, her new wife, indicated that women can get other women pregnant in this world - it's not clear if that works one way or if two women can get each other pregnant, which seemed to be what Tuya implied. So, Zinn may well be "genderless" and still capable of "fathering" children. Of course, he is also a completely different biological being, so exactly what he is contributing to the offspring is unclear.

Yes, Maika is trying to find out more about her mother, who her mother was, and what her mother felt about her. Maika learned that her mother specifically sought out the Doctor, her father, with the goal of having a child. The Doctor was one of the Shaman Empress' direct descendants. This implied that her mother created Maika in the hopes of getting access to Zinn. However, I think you are right - it's clear that her mother did love her and that, whatever her original reasons for having Maika, she ultimately wanted her daughter to be her own person. She also understood that Maika would eventually reshape the world through her own will. It has also come out that Korvin's people (I think they are the Dusk Court) believe that Maika is the incarnation of the Shaman Empress and it is possible that she is, since she has met the SE a number of times in her mind.

Wait where is that said comics said women can get other women pregnant? I take it it’s not human women rather the Aranics. I look at the deluxe and they listed Zinn as it.It also states there is no understand has to how Zinn and others like it convinced children with humans. I do wonder of Maika will remember what Tuya did as a child.

Also do you guys think the rumors are true that a show will be made?
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 09-18-2020 at 01:20 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Wait where is that said comics said women can get other women pregnant? I take it itís not human women rather the Aranics. I look at the deluxe and they listed Zinn as it.It also states there is no understand has to how Zinn and others like it convinced children with humans. I do wonder of Maika will remember what Tuya did as a child.

Also do you guys think the rumors are true that a show will be made?

In issue #27, there is a scene where the Warlord starts kissing Tuya and Tuya stops her, saying "Stop. It's both our Lunas. We can't afford to make each other pregnant." The Warlord then replies "As if I have time for sex." And, yes, they are both Arcanics. Presumably, this would not apply to human women. So far, there is no indication that Arcanic males can make each other pregnant or carry children though, clearly, they can contribute to the production of children.

As I said, Zinn may still be an "It" but he/she/it is clearly capable of making an Arcanic woman pregnant. Again, this may not be a "gender" issue, given how little meaning the word seems to have in "Monstress."

Your last question - will Maika remember what Tuya did as a child? - is a bit puzzling to me. I'm not sure what you're getting at. Maika definitely has clear memories of her time with Tuya as children and her love for Tuya is one of the things she has been holding to throughout the series. In the present storyline, Tuya and Maika's reunion seems imminent, even though Tuya (understandably) seems to be trying to forestall it. The last few issues have all started with flashbacks to what happened when Maika first manifested Zinn at the Battle of Constantine.

I had not heard there was going to be a show. I think that Monstress is made to be a show but, like all fans, I'm scared of what could be lost in translation.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunN View Post
    In issue #27, there is a scene where the Warlord starts kissing Tuya and Tuya stops her, saying "Stop. It's both our Lunas. We can't afford to make each other pregnant." The Warlord then replies "As if I have time for sex." And, yes, they are both Arcanics. Presumably, this would not apply to human women. So far, there is no indication that Arcanic males can make each other pregnant or carry children though, clearly, they can contribute to the production of children.

As I said, Zinn may still be an "It" but he/she/it is clearly capable of making an Arcanic woman pregnant. Again, this may not be a "gender" issue, given how little meaning the word seems to have in "Monstress."

Your last question - will Maika remember what Tuya did as a child? - is a bit puzzling to me. I'm not sure what you're getting at. Maika definitely has clear memories of her time with Tuya as children and her love for Tuya is one of the things she has been holding to throughout the series. In the present storyline, Tuya and Maika's reunion seems imminent, even though Tuya (understandably) seems to be trying to forestall it. The last few issues have all started with flashbacks to what happened when Maika first manifested Zinn at the Battle of Constantine.

I had not heard there was going to be a show. I think that Monstress is made to be a show but, like all fans, I'm scared of what could be lost in translation.
    Oh. I'm trying to figure out just how far her memory lost goes. It seems she can't remember what happened with her mother. Makes me wonder what side will Ren be on if any. I thought she didn't remember Constantine too well.
    I mean all we know is some unknown force dropped the barrier between old gods and humans. It makes me wonder how arcanic anatomy is.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 09-19-2020 at 03:08 PM.

Fantastic Member

In the most recent issues' flashbacks, Maika doesn't remember the actual event of summoning Zinn and his subsequent destruction of Constantine. She remembers everything leading up to this and afterwards. Tuya was present for the whole thing and even kills another of the children there who wants to tell everyone what he saw (the child is religious and believes it was a miracle that the Old God came to save them). Tuya also tells the other children that no one is to tell Maika what happened. When Maika wakes up, she has no memory, but she and Tuya are both shocked to see that most of Maika's arm has disappeared. But the stump is smooth and doesn't hurt her.

It's evident that Maika later knows what happened at Constantine, even if she doesn't remember it. Either Tuya eventually told her or she figured it out for herself when Zinn began to manifest and affect her behavior (like her hunger).

The thing with her mother is interesting. So far, there has not been much revealed about what happened around her mother's death. I have a vague recollection that Maika ran away into the desert the night her mother was killed (their dig was attacked or somehow exploded, I beleieve) and was subsequently caught by the human forces. She met Tuya at some point soon after who, obviously, was planted there to make contact with her. She has some memory of the night her mother died but we just don't know how much as yet.

Yea, she stated there was an explored. Who do you think caused it? Do you think Tuya had a hand? Do you think Tuya even cares for Maika? One of the things that I wonder is how real are the old gods. What I mean is since the Aracanics prays do can they answer them? We do know Kippa was blessed

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Yea, she stated there was an explored. Who do you think caused it? Do you think Tuya had a hand? Do you think Tuya even cares for Maika? One of the things that I wonder is how real are the old gods. What I mean is since the Aracanics prays do can they answer them? We do know Kippa was blessed
    Hi! Well, Kippa was blessed by an Ancient Arcanic - someone like the Wolf Queen or the Blood Fox or whatever Vinh is (though it seems that Vinhi is much more than just an Ancient). The "Old Gods" are real but, from what I can gather, they are worshipped as such only by the hybrid Arcanics who don't realize or remember that it was a war between the Old Gods and the Ancient Arcanics that led to the Old Gods being imprisoned. We know from Zinn's flashbacks that the presense of the OG on the planet was poisonous to the local life and I assume that is what led the Ancients to war against them and lock them away. I believe that the Shaman Empress, who was the first of the hybrids, came after the war and her powers/inventions (the mask) are what made it possible for her to reach the OG in their prison and bring Zinn across. I remember reading in one of Prof Tam Tam's lectures that the Arcanics who worshipped the OG ascribed qualities to them that they did not have. And, given that we know that they are really alien beings who were escaping a war on their own world, they are not really "gods" in any true sense.

I do think that Tuya cares for Maika but her primary loyalty is to the Dusk Court. That is what the title of "Baroness" is all about - a person who is an instrument of the Dusk Court that furthers its interests at the cost of everything else. And, whatever her feelings for Maika, we already know that Tuya tried to kill Maika at least once (in the first story arc) as the Baroness. Her reluctance to see Maika now is probably largely attributable to her entirely reasonable fear that Maika will try to kill her, but it is also probably affected by some sense of guilt that Maika will discover that Tuya was always a "false friend" -though, the reality that Tuya lived a hellish existence with Maika cannot be denied, though it could also be seen as a measure of her dedication to her role as the Baroness.

I think that discoveing who betrayed her mother and who was behind the attack on the camp are some of the things that Maika is still trying to figure out. There has always been the suggestion that the Cumaea were involved - in the first issue, when Maika tracks down the Cumaean woman who had been part of her mother's group (I think her name is Yvette Lo Lim) this is strongly impled. Yvette had part of the mask, she was Cumaean, and she was eating Arcanics to help sustain her own life. I assume the latter happened to her as a result of whatever happened at Maika's mother's camp (curiously, I can't recall the name of Maika's mother at the moment) and that hints that whatever happened was truly horrific. It's a mystery that has been kind of set aside in the current story, which is caught up in the confusion of the war.

If there is a weakness in Monstress, it may be this - that the driving force behind Maika's actions has been somewhat confused by events, but that can also be interpreted as a concession to reality. Maika went to the Blood Fox's island because she was following in her mother's footsteps and trying to find out whatever it was that her mother was after. Subsequent events, however, have taken her away from her quest and it's easy to forget that there is that underlying mystery that is motivating her.

In a sense, I get the driving force is a teen questioning her own self. especially one that is and was surviving a war. She really doesn't really know what to do. She is just running on instinct. Instinct can be confusing. She is also a teenager who has lost a lot so she is also not thinking. If she can find any information she will follow it. Yea the coffin, it seems at first she wasn't trying to kill her until they had to run away. The thing now the Warlord will most likely meet Maika. I feel there is more to The Wolf Queen not wanting the Warlord to meet Maika. Makes me also wonder why she just didn't take Maika after her mom died.Zinn was all but quite until the mask came back.

Fantastic Member

Yes, I think Maika has basic questions. Once she realized that she was a vessel for some otherworldly power, I think that her desire to find out who killed her mother also became mixed in with her desire to find out who her mother was and why her mother did whatever she did to make Maika the vessel. Her questions are quite understandable.

If I recall correctly, Maika was trapped in the coffin, but Tuya only tried to actively kill her once the Cumaea attacked and there was the risk they would get Maika. Even so, from the beginning, the Dusk Court has had the plan of killing Maika's mind and keeping her body so they can try to use Zinn.

I think you are right to ask why the Wolf-Queen did not take Maika after her mother died. Hidng her from the Warlord should still have been possible. Tuya makes a similar point to her when she meets the WQ. However, I suspect the WQ knew what was in Maika and did not want it near her. Zinn became active during the war; it's not clear it had anything to do with the mask and may have been related to Maika's own coming of age. If so, then the WQ did have something real to fear.