Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Monstress

I'm often at the edge of my seat and how everything will come along especially with the family together. Still waiting to see Maika's mother death to see what happened.

Fantastic Member

Here’s my recap of Monstress #34.

The story starts with the Wolf Queen (WQ) attacking Zinn. She was poisoned last issue by the human/Cumaean gas that drove Arcanics insane and now she is raging against Zinn and unleashing her full (and very considerable) power. The Warlord tries to stop her, getting between her mother and Zinn. The WQ screams at the Warlord for interfering and smashes her aside. The Warlord reluctantly shoots the WQ, who laughs at her and seems to heal almost instantly. The WQ turns on the WL, saying “how such a weakling sprang from my womb I will never know.” Zinn attacks and the WL and Maika are attacked, at the same time, by a group of insane Arcanics who have found their way to the battle site.

Tuya suddenly appears, shooting some of the mob and saving the Warlord. The WL doesn’t want her help but Tuya says to the WL that “Arcanics need you. I need you. I can’t let you die just yet.” Maika, who is fighting nearby, hears this and looks very angry/sad. In that instant she is attacked from behind by the WQ, but Zinn gets to her first and covers/protects her and tells her that “We cannot allow our hearts to break us,” an apparent allusion to how Maika is feeling in that moment (i.e., her reaction to Tuya’s words to the WL).

Corvin appears on the scene and uses his shield to protect Maika from the WQ, but he is very quickly close to being overwhelmed by the WQ’s power. Maika pulls the mask fragments out of her bag and prepares to put them on. Zinn warns her against it, saying “we cannot hold the power” but Maika feels they need to try because, otherwise, the WQ is simply too powerful for them.

She puts on the mask fragments and is almost immediately overwhelmed by the voices of the old gods. But then the Shaman Empress appears and surrounds/protects Zinn and Maika, silencing the voices of the gods and saying of Maika/Zinn “their purpose is not yet revealed, their union is not yet complete.”

When we return to the real world, we see that Zinn is covering Maika completely like a suit of armor. Zinn is still calling for the “Beloved” and Maika tells him to “shut up and fight.” At this point, they are still speaking in two separate voices. Corvin is down, his shield sputtering. Kippa comes running, calling to Maika to say “I’m coming.” Her eyes are glowing golden and through her special perception, she sees Maika/Zinn and the WQ fighting. The WQ, interestingly, has many eyes and bears a distinct resemblance to the old gods.

In Aurum, the Doctor is meditating when he senses that Maika has put on the mask. He is surprised but delighted. He touches a button on his artificial leg and disappears, perhaps because he moves so fast. Also in Aurum, the Mother Superior and the Inquisitrix, Gull, are on their knees, moaning, feeling the effects of the mask. The Inquisitrix tells the MS to listen to the song and “tell me whose voice you hear.” The cube they were investigating (that contains another mask fragment) is glowing and shooting a purple beam into the sky. The chief scientist (who is remarkably unconcerned about the state of her superiors) comments that she “can only imagine what has awakened inside the box.”

The WQ and M/Z continue to fight, the WQ saying that the mask is “our birthright”, cursing the Shaman Empress, and saying she will tear the mask off M/Z. The WL runs at the fighting pair, despite Tuya telling her to “stay back! Let them fight!” The WL strikes her mother, saying “wake up, mother! Remember yourself!” The WQ responds by slashing her daughter brutally across her face and replying “I do.”

M/Z bites into the WQ and comments that her blood tastes “so good”. The WQ says that she will heal faster than “your teeth.” Interestingly, M/Z is speaking in Maika’s voice at this point (she calls the WQ “grandmother.”) The sky is starting to open up and a giant eye is peering through on the city. The mask is starting to open the prison of the gods.

Tuya calls out “Maika!” and M/Z turn to her, apparently not recognizing her. Then Kippa runs up and stands between Tuya and M/Z, calling out to her and telling her that if she doesn’t stop, she will tear open the sky and kill them all. M/Z recognizes Kippa and hesitates. The WQ, in an absolutely enraged and ravenous state, descends on Kippa, roaring.

In that instant, inside the hybrid being that Maika and Zinn have become, time seems to stop. They watch the WQ attacking Kippa. They realize the mask has given them more power but they have not mastered it, not like the Shaman Empress did. Zinn says the gamble of using the mask is weakening the prison and may cost other lives. Maika says they might lose, but it’s not because they lack power, it’s because they are “disorganized.” Zinn replies they might lose to the WQ because they are not “whole” and that is why his kind lost to the Ancients in the past. He blames himself for not trusting the others and creating division. He says he is to blame now for not being “gentle” or “loyal”, apparently to Maika. Maika responds by saying that he would not be gentle to her because he saw her as his prison and she blamed him for who she is. They realize they have to trust each other. Zinn admits he fears trust because he fears how it will change him. But Maika tells him that whatever they become, how could it be worse than what they are? Beyond that, she says that what will not change is that she will give her life for Kippa and for Zinn. Zinn pauses, then says “then let us save the child…with that one act we begin..”

Back in real time, M/Z stop the WQ’s sword from killing Kippa. There is a fantastic glow, then a massive release of energy, very much like the blast that destroyed Constantine. When it subsides, the WQ is unconscious (maybe dead? That remains to be seen, but I doubt it) and Kippa is unharmed. Standing before her is a true hybrid being, one shaped like Maika, but covered in Zinn’s body, and in an even more elaborate armor. When it speaks Kippa’s name, it is speaking with one voice.

Kippa, being Kippa, cheers: “Yay! And you didn’t kill us!” M/Z says to Kippa “you’ll never stop running towards danger, will you?” Kippa says that Maika needed her, then asks what Maika has become. Maika says she does not know. Tuya is there watching and afraid. When Maika turns towards her, Tuya slips on the edge of the ruin they are on and falls. Maika immediately dives after her and saves her, catching her and clinging to the edge of the building. Maika asks Tuya, “are you hurt?” Then “you’re safe, don’t be afraid. It’s just me.” As she says the last sentence, her voice changes to Maika’s and her helmet flows away from her head, exposing her face. Tuya says her name, but Maika says to her “No. Don’t tell me.” Then the women push their faces together, though they don’t actually kiss.

Another great issue! I'll post some thoughts on this later today.
    Last edited by ShaunN; 05-28-2021 at 05:24 AM.

Fantastic Member

Some random thoughts on Monstress #34:

Really great issue. Some critics have called it the best of the series. While I would not go that far, it is clear that a lot of ideas and plot threads have moved on to the next level, though not necessarily resolved.

The most obvious of these is the union between Maika and Zinn. After fighting each other then slowly reaching a kind of understanding and learning to care about each other, they have finally moved on to mutual trust. This has opened the door on them becoming, essentially, one being. It remains to be seen what this means. Will Zinn consume the rest of Maika’s body? Will he still be able to separate from her? The deeper questions have simply become deeper. There are various clues throughout the series that Maika is a new incarnation (maybe reincarnation?) of the Shaman Empress. She is part of some kind of plan the SE set in motion. Will she eventually become the SE? If so, what will be left of Maika?

The usual questions about the exact nature of Zinn’s relationship with the SE remain. Nonetheless, what is most important about this development is that, for the first time, Maika may be able to wield Zinn’s full power. How that affects the war remains to be seen. And she still does not have the full mask. So, this most recent development may finish the first phase of the series but the story is getting even more complex.

The Wolf Queen: when Maika and company encountered the Blood Fox, it was revealed that he had advocated the extermination of the Arcanics because their appearance corresponded to a decline in the power of the Ancients. If that is so, then it is frightening to consider how powerful they must have been in their prime. The WQ is terrifying, savage and incredibly powerful. Her vicious verbal and then physical assault on her own daughter is horrifying and will likely leave permanent scars, physical and psychological. Most interesting is that when Kippa sees the WQ using her special vision, she sees a being with multiple eyes that looks quite a bit like Zinn. It underlines the point that the WQ and the other Ancients are aliens that have inhabited the bodies of others and that they and the old gods they have imprisoned may be very similar kinds of beings.

The Mask: The WQ’s comment that the mask is “our birthright” is fascinating. She also curses the Shaman Empress. To this point I had thought the mask was made by the SE, but that may not be the case – maybe she took it from the Ancients and used it. Either way, the mystery of the mask -who made it, what it does – continues.

Tuya and Maika: obviously, they still love each other. At the end, when Maika says “don’t tell me” what does she mean? Does she not want Tuya to tell her that she loves her? I wonder if Maika and Tuya’s relationship is entering a new, tragic phase, where they are always together but cannot be together. I don’t know how seriously Arcanics are supposed to take their arranged marriages, but I suspect that Tuya’s marital loyalty to the Warlord may be an issue.

Gull and the Mother Superior (and the Doctor): the Dr was trying to get the fragment of the mask in Aurum and give it to Maika – I expect the present situation may aid in that. The most interesting part of the scene with the MS and Gull is that Gull was encouraging the MS to listen to the voice she was hearing. If it turns out that the MS hears the same voice of the fallen faction that Gull heard when she had on the mask, then the plans for the old gods may change. Obviously, there is some kind of major dispute between the old gods within the prison and it looks like the faction to which the MS and Gull belong may have lost. That adds a new wrinkle to the whole idea of freeing the old gods.

Kippa: remains Kippa -absolutely indispensable and the heart of the series. She runs to help Maika, even putting herself in incredible danger and it is the desire to save Kippa’s life from the WQ that gives Maika and Zinn the final push needed to trust each other and become one being.

That’s about it for now. If any more thoughts occur to me, I’ll post.

Just ordered volume 1 can’t wait to read!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), The Atom (Ray Palmer) , Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), Iron Fist, & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Daredevil, Amazing Spider-Man, Immortal Hulk, & The Flash.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Just ordered volume 1 can’t wait to read!
    If you've never read the series before and volume 1 is your first exposure to it, then that is quite a commitment to make! But I practically guarantee you will really enjoy it -well, as long as you have a stomach for a certain amount of blood and violence. The first issue is massively oversized and an incredible and intriguing introduction to a fully realized world.

I hope you enjoy it. Let me know once you've had a chance to read it.

Fantastic Member

One other thought: I've mentioned before that Maika, in an earlier issue, had an encounter with the Shaman Empress in her dreams where the SE referenced an earlier encounter she had with Maika where Maika was almost "mad with grief" after a siege of a city. That encounter revealed that, at the least, the SE and Maika were talking to each other at different times in their respective timelines, if not moving in opposite directions through time. The idea that the death of someone dear to Maika is going to happen at the siege of Ravenna has been planted ever since. My fear was that the one to die might be Kippa -this is still an obvious possibility. But now it seems just as likely that it is Tuya. The loss of Tuya would have devastated Maika one way or the other - because they have been apart for so long, it has been difficult for readers to understand how much they love each other, but now that they are together again, this is becoming apparent. Their apparent reconciliation adds to the likelihood that Tuya's death has the potential to drive Maika "mad with grief."

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunN View Post
    If you've never read the series before and volume 1 is your first exposure to it, then that is quite a commitment to make! But I practically guarantee you will really enjoy it -well, as long as you have a stomach for a certain amount of blood and violence. The first issue is massively oversized and an incredible and intriguing introduction to a fully realized world.

I hope you enjoy it. Let me know once you've had a chance to read it.
    Well unfortunately it wasn't my cup of tea. I tried but couldn't get into it, even though I do love fantasy.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), The Atom (Ray Palmer) , Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), Iron Fist, & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Daredevil, Amazing Spider-Man, Immortal Hulk, & The Flash.

I wonder what the oracles mean by Maika won't surive in many ways this could mean she and Zinn become one and become something else.

The Wolf Queen: when Maika and company encountered the Blood Fox, it was revealed that he had advocated the extermination of the Arcanics because their appearance corresponded to a decline in the power of the
    Ancients. If that is so, then it is frightening to consider how powerful they must have been in their prime. The WQ is terrifying, savage and incredibly powerful. Her vicious verbal and then physical assault on her own daughter is horrifying and will likely leave permanent scars, physical and psychological. Most interesting is that when Kippa sees the WQ using her special vision, she sees a being with multiple eyes that looks quite a bit like Zinn. It underlines the point that the WQ and the other Ancients are aliens that have inhabited the bodies of others and that they and the old gods they have imprisoned may be very similar kinds of beings.
    Zinn points this out. That Wolf QUeen never had a body of her own. So this makes you wonder. How did she get her own body.